Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace Special Character With Next Present Byte Post 302913843 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 20th of August 2014 07:32:34 AM
Old 08-20-2014
It was read by eye and converted by brain to hopefully confirm that we are working on the correct input to output relationship, hence why CODE tags are so important. I have done no coding so far.

Is the special character always the same? Can you confirm what character it is with od? If you can cut down a copy of the file to just contain the character, then use:-
Code:
od -x input_file

and paste the output here in [CODE] & [/CODE] tags, then that would help.

Is this a large file that needs the powerful processing of awk, sed or perl, or would a simpler, but slower loop in a shell be acceptable? If the file is smaller , but there are many than you want to call in a loop, sometimes calling awk etc. can work out slower.

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed special character replace

I need to do the following: text in the format of: ADDRESS=abcd123:1111 - abcd123:1111 is different on every system. replace with: ADDRESS=localhost:2222 sed 's/ADDRESS=<What do I use here?>/ADDRESS=localhost:2222/g' Everything I've tried ends up with: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: toor13
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace the special character with another using SED

I have the replace the pattern in the file , ); to ); Could someone please help me to get this command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan.bit
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting long text by special char around 100 byte and newline

Regard, How can i cut the text by special char(|) around 100 byte and write the other of the text at newline using Perl. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shawn, Lee
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace with a special character in String

Hi, I am beginner to Shell Scripting. I have a String like this "testabcdef", i need the first character as it is and the remaining character should be replaced by the the '*' character. e.g(t***********) PLZ Suggest me. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace /n with special character

I would like to replace /n with ',' and after replace remove last semicolon then put a open brace in starting and closing brace in end of line. See below example: input: 1234 3455 24334 234 output: ('1234,'3455',24334','234') Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace special character using sed?

How can I replace the follong text including to number 7000? cat tmp0.txt Winston (UK) Wong I would the 7000 to replace Winston (UK) Wong. I fail with method below: sed ' s /Winston\(UK\)Wong/7000 tmp0.txt' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Find and replace till nth occurence of a special character

Hi, I have a requirement to search for a pattern in each line in a file and remove the in between words till the 3rd occurrence of double quote ("). Ex: CREATE TABLE "SCHEMANAME"."AMS_LTV_STATUS" (Note: "SCHEMANAME" may changes for different schemas. Its not a fixed value) I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing a special line and Byte in a random file

Hello I created 3 files by: dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1024 count=1000000 of=./testfile1 dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1024 count=5000000 of=./testfile2 dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1024 count=10000000 of=./testfile3 Now I want to know how to make a change in a specific byte and/or line of theses files? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frhling
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with backslash and character

Hi, I have a string wherein i need to replace special characters with backslash and that character. Ex: If my string is a=qwerty123@!, then the new string should be a_new=qwerty123\@\!\, Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: temp_user
3 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Merry Xmas (special present inside)

A Merry Xmas to all of you. And, as a special present to vbe (he knows why) a little exercise: #! /bin/ksh pPrintSnow () { typeset -i iLen=$1 while (( iLen )) ; do if ! (( RANDOM % 31 )) ; then printf "%1s" "." else printf "%1s" " " fi ((... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
0 Replies
gnome-character-map(1)						   User Commands					    gnome-character-map(1)

NAME
gnome-character-map, gucharmap - insert special characters into a document SYNOPSIS
gnome-character-map [--font=string] DESCRIPTION
The Character Map application enables you to select characters from a character table, then combine the characters into a text string with standard characters. You can insert the text string that you create into other applications, such as text editor documents. Character Map provides accented characters, mathematical symbols, special symbols, and punctuation marks. Many of the characters are not available on a standard keyboard. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --font=string Specify the font name and point size that you want to use to display the characters in the character table, when you start Character Map. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching Character Map example% gnome-character-map Example 2: Launching Character Map With Specified Font Name and Point Size example% gnome-character-map --font="bitstream vera sans italic 20" EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-character-map Executable for Character Map. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-character-map | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Character Map Manual Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. NOTES
Written by Glynn Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2004 gnome-character-map(1)