Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to insert file contents after nth occurrence of a string using sed? Post 302913807 by RudiC on Wednesday 20th of August 2014 03:54:27 AM
Old 08-20-2014
Try
Code:
sed '1,/apple/{p;d}; /apple/,$ {1,1 r file2
}' file1
banana
apple
orange
apple
I don't like apples
banana
pear
tangerine
apple

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED To insert Directory Contents to file

I am on a HP-UX machine I have a directory called "/u01/blobs" and the files look like this: ls -1 7398 7399 7400 I need to produce a comma delimited file with the following format: filename,location/filename i.e: 7398,/u01/blobs/7398 7399,/u01/blobs/7399 7400,/u01/blobs/7400 What... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NomDeGuerre
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED replace string by occurrence

hi all, I have a text file with following content PAGENUMBER asasasa asasasa PAGENUMBER sasasasasa PAGENUMBER using sed i want to replace PAGENUMBER by occurrence count eg 1 asasasa asasasa 2 sasasasasa 3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uttamhoode
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed to print a string until the second occurrence of a character

Hi, I am totally new to shell scripting. I have a String "c:\working\html\index.txt.12-12-2009.bkp" I want to check if the string has more than one "." character. If it does I would like to retrieve only "c:\working\html\index.txt" i.e, discard the second occurrence of "." and the rest of the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: imr
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace x Number of String Occurrence with Sed

Ok, So I have a huge file that has over 12000 lines in it. in this file, there are 589 occurrences of the string "use five-minute-interval" spread in various areas in the file. How can i replace the the last 250 of the occurrences of "use five-minute-interval" with "use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string nth occurrence in file and print line number

Hi I have requirement to find nth occurrence in a file and capture data from with in lines (between lines) Data in File. <QUOTE> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Parameter Filename' VALUE='file1.parm'/> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Service Name' VALUE='None'/> </SESSION> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to output all lines following Nth occurrence of string

Greetings experts. Searched the forums (perhaps not hard enough?) - Am searching for a method to capture all output from a log file following the nth occurrence of a known string. Background: Using bash, I want to monitor my Oracle DB alert log file. The script will count the total # of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjtravis
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert new pattern in newline after the nth occurrence of a line pattern - Bash in Ubuntu 12.04

Hi, I am getting crazy after days on looking at it: Bash in Ubuntu 12.04.1 I want to do this: pattern="system /path1/file1 file1" new_pattern=" data /path2/file2 file2" file to edit: data.db - I need to search in the file data.db for the nth occurrence of pattern - pattern must... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phil3759
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Replace string with file contents

Hello, I have two files: file1 and file2 file1 has the following info: --- host: "localhost" port: 3000 reporter_type: "zookeeper" zk_hosts: - "localhost:2181" file2 contains an IP address (1.1.1.1) What I want to do is replace localhost with 1.1.1.1, so that the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jay Kah
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: how to use file contents in replacement string

I want to replace a string by contents of file. I am trying the following sed command: cat sample | sed "s^<enter description here>^`cat details`^" But it is not working. a=`cat details` and using $a will not help since it will affect the whitespaces. What am I missing in the above sed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand_bh
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of file before the first occurrence of a line starts with a pattern in another file

Hi all, I'm new to scripting.. facing some problems while inserting content of a file into another file... I want to insert content of a file (file2) into file1, before first occurrence of "line starts with pattern" in file1 file1 ====== working on linux its unix world working on... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagadeesh Kumar
14 Replies
ZDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZDIFF(1)

NAME
zcmp, zdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
zcmp [ cmp_options ] file1 [ file2 ] zdiff [ diff_options ] file1 [ file2 ] DESCRIPTION
Zcmp and zdiff are used to invoke the cmp or the diff program on files compressed via gzip. All options specified are passed directly to cmp or diff. If only file1 is specified, it is compared to the uncompressed contents of file1.gz. If two files are specified, their con- tents (uncompressed if necessary) are fed to cmp or diff. The input files are not modified. The exit status from cmp or diff is pre- served. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), zmore(1), zgrep(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp or diff programs may refer to file names such as "-" instead of to the file names specified. ZDIFF(1)