Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help in batch renaming files with bash shell script. Post 302913588 by SriRamKrish on Tuesday 19th of August 2014 11:46:29 AM
Old 08-19-2014
Thanks a million for the prompt reply. Will try it and let know as soon as possible.

Cheers.

---------- Post updated at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior-helper
try this:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

ls *.dat_* | while read line
 do
 part1=$(echo "$line" | cut -d"." -f1)
 mv "$line" "$part1.dat"
 done

edit / another approach:
Code:
rename 's/\.dat_.*/\.dat/' *.dat_*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
Try:
Code:
for i in *.dat_*
do      mv "$i" "${i%.dat_*}.dat"
done

That worked like a charm. Thanks a lot guys!SmilieSmilie

Cheers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming files in a bash script

I'm doing a short batch script to compile po files producing output binary mo files. The compilation command is: msgfmt -o file.mo file.po so in order to compile I am appending .mo to the varible in a loop. It goes something like this: for i in `find . -name "*.po"` do echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breen
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Shell script to Dos batch files

Hi friends! I am having some simple shell script files to build postgresql database and all. Now i want to convert those scripts to dos batch scripts(to run on windows XP/2000/NT) because there is no need of unix emulation for latest release of postgresql. Please somebody help me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darwinkna
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - batch script for extracting one file from multiple tar files

so i have hundreds of files named history.20071112.tar (history.YYYYMMDD.tar) and im looking to extract one file out of each archive called status_YYYYMMDDHH:MM.lis here is what i have so far: for FILE in `cat dirlist` do tar xvf $FILE ./status_* done dirlist is a text... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuliksco
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Batch Renaming: Change files' extensions in many sub-directories

Hi all - I'm trying to rename a large number of files all at once and need some help figuring out the command line syntax to do it. I've already done quite a bit of research with the rename and mv commands, but so far haven't found a solution that seems to work for me. So: The files exist... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave920
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming Files using Shell Script

Hi Gurus, I have some files(all ending with .out as extension). Ex: aa1.out aa2.out aa3.out I would like to append each file with the current date to the end of the file so that they should become aa1_20090504.out. So I am using rename as follows: for i in path/aa* ; do mv $i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asmfloyd
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Batch Renaming of Files

Hello all, thanks for your time (and this forum, what an awesome resource for newbs like myself!) Anyways, I've been given the task of importing content from a directory of about...7000 HTML files. They are all named appropriately and broken down by name depending on what book they belong too.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gratefulhokie
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for renaming a batch of files

hi i have a folder full of files. some of the names are quite off because the dimensions were the same and i had to put a 'b' after the initial number so that it didnt overwrite. what i want is a script in unix to overwrite the filwe name leaving some of the title intact, e.g. below are some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabs1985
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a batch of files within a shell script with option to refire the individual files in batch

Hello everyone. I am new to shell scripting and i am required to create a shell script, the purpose of which i will explain below. I am on a solaris server btw. Before delving into the requirements, i will give youse an overview of what is currently in place and its purpose. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Batch renaming insert additional zero into filename

Hi all, Wondering how this could be accomplished........ a directory contains sequentially numbered files from fw01 to fw999. How would I insert an additional zero so that the directory lists these files in a proper manner? (i.e. all double digit files from fw01 to fw99 would become... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: putter1900
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for batch renaming

What is wrong with this script to rename batch of similar files? For example renaming all *.txt files to *.tab . $ for i in seq {01..10}; do touch ${i}.txt; done $ ./rename.sh *.txt txt tab Error: mv: ‘01.txt’ and ‘01.txt’ are the same file. Code is: #!/usr/bin/bash # renames.sh #... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
6 Replies
Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)

NAME
Alien::Package::Rpm - an object that represents a rpm package DESCRIPTION
This is an object class that represents a rpm package. It is derived from Alien::Package. FIELDS
prefixes Relocatable rpm packages have a prefixes field. METHODS
checkfile Detect rpm files by their extention. install Install a rpm. If RPMINSTALLOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. scan Implement the scan method to read a rpm file. unpack Implement the unpack method to unpack a rpm file. This is a little nasty because it has to handle relocatable rpms and has to do a bit of permissions fixing as well. prep Prepare for package building by generating the spec file. cleantree Delete the spec file. build Build a rpm. If RPMBUILDOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. An optional parameter, if passed, can be used to specify the program to use to build the rpm. It defaults to rpmbuild. version Set/get version. When retreiving the version, remove any dashes in it. postinst postrm preinst prerm Set/get script fields. When retrieving a value, we have to do some truely sick mangling. Since debian/slackware scripts can be anything -- perl programs or binary files -- and rpm is limited to only shell scripts, we need to encode the files and add a scrap of shell script to make it unextract and run on the fly. When setting a value, we do some mangling too. Rpm maintainer scripts are typically shell scripts, but often lack the leading shebang line. This can confuse dpkg, so add the shebang if it looks like there is no shebang magic already in place. Additionally, it's not uncommon for rpm maintainer scripts to contain bashisms, which can be triggered when they are ran on systems where /bin/sh is not bash. To work around this, the shebang line of the scripts is changed to use bash. Also, if the rpm is relocatable, the script could refer to RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX, which is set by rpm at run time. Deal with this by adding code to the script to set RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX. arch Set/get arch field. When the arch field is set, some sanitizing is done first to convert it to the debian format used internally. When it's retreived it's converted back to rpm form from the internal form. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> perl v5.14.2 2011-08-05 Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)