Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help on Ssh using sudo
Special Forums Cybersecurity Help on Ssh using sudo Post 302913563 by Perderabo on Monday 18th of August 2014 01:04:30 PM
Old 08-18-2014
You are going about this all wrong. Give everyone his own account. On each system, create an admin group. Give the admin group root power via sudo by adding a line to sudoers like this:

Code:
%admin ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

If a user should be able to access a system at all, add his private account to that system. If he needs root access as well, add his account to the admin group. Now he can log on to the box and them use sudo to obtain root authority.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

xwindows over ssh after sudo?

ok...I'm stumped on this one. I cannot figure out how to carry over my environment variables with a sudo command. I need to install an application under root and only have sudo access to get there. I can use ssh -Y <host> and launch an xwindows session successfully as myself but as soon as I sudo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottsl
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sudo and ssh

Hello, Can you config sudo to use the passphrase in the user ssh-key instead of the one in the passwd? Some users do not have local passwords on the system and instead of adding the NOPASSWD in sudoers I would like the solution I asked about above. Thx Jocke (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jOOc
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sudo and ssh

Hi, I would like to know how i can perform a task, while performing ssh, sudo and command at the same time. What I generally do is I ssh to the server, where i created private and public, so it does not prompt me for password all the time. Then i need to run "sudo su - ldaprole" to get into... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_prince
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ssh and sudo login

Hi, I am trying to execute some command, via ssh and sudo. Here is what i want to do. ssh localhost | sudo su - ldaprole | ls -ltrh However, this command gives me listing of my home directory, and not of ldaprole. If I logic directly, when i perform sudo su - ldaprole, it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_prince
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh foo.com sudo command - Prompts for sudo password as visible text. Help?

I am writing a BASH script to update a webserver and then restart Apache. It looks basically like this: #!/bin/bash rsync /path/on/local/machine/ foo.com:path/on/remote/machine/ ssh foo.com sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reloadrsync and ssh don't prompt for a password, because I have DSA encryption... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluoborate
9 Replies

6. Programming

Using Commands over SSH using Sudo

Is there a way to transfer my sudo password via ssh so that I can copy files remotely and pass them locally, so: cat sudo-passwd-file|ssh -t user@10.7.0.180 'sudo find / -depth|cpio -oacv|gzip' > /path/to/dir/file.cpio.gz I am in the process of a creating a script. Everytime I try and just... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
16 Replies

7. Red Hat

Sudo Password Prompt over SSH

I am not sure what I am missing here. I have the following identical entry in /etc/sudoers on multiple Red Hat 6.4 servers. icinga ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/yum --security --exclude\="kernel*" check-update On one server when I enter the command over SSH as follows it works fine. ssh -t -q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh & sudo

when the following command is issued the command prompt is received, how do I get past this? ssh -t usera@hosta sudo su - userb -c id (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: squrcles
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in creating Sudo ssh script

Hi Experts, I am new to Shell scripting. I want to login to a server using a script. The normal command I use is --> sudo ssh <Servername> . when i tried putting this into a txt format file and tried running, it throw an error "can't execute". I am an Admin and i have root access. Any help would... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tom1989
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh does not support sqlplus and sudo -i?

Hey everybody, currently I am having an issue that I need to open an ssh session to a remote host, once on the remote host I need to use sudo and then execute sqlplus. Once the sqlplus call is open I need to execute one command while the sqlplus is active. For example show sga. I already got so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h1kelds
3 Replies
csp_helper(1)							  USER COMMANDS 						     csp_helper(1)

NAME
      csp_helper - A collection of caspar helper scripts

SYNOPSIS
      csp_install dir (directory) file (file)

csp_mkdircp dir (directory) file (file)

csp_scp_keep_mode h ([user@]host) dir (directory) file (file)

csp_sucp h ([user@]host) dir (directory) file (file)

DESCRIPTION
      The  scripts  csp_install,  csp_mkdircp,	csp_scp_keep_mode  and csp_sucp are helpers for caspar(7). These scripts typically are not invoked
      directly, but via a Makefile which uses caspar. See the notes on	csp_PUSH  in  caspar(7)  for  information  on  how  to	link  csp_install,
      csp_scp_keep_mode and csp_sucp to caspar.

install DESCRIPTION
      csp_install creates the required directory (if needed) and installs the file, preserving timestamps. It uses install(1).

install EXAMPLES
       csp_INSTALL_OPTIONS='--owner=www-data --group=www-data' 
	csp_INSTALL_MODE=ugo=r 
	csp_install /srv/www index.html

csp_INSTALL_MODE=u=rwx,go= csp_install /usr/local/sbin mkpasswd

install ENVIRONMENT
      csp_install honors csp_INSTALL_OPTIONS and csp_INSTALL_MODE (default is u=rw,go=r).

mkdircp DESCRIPTION
      csp_mkdircp calls mkdir(1) and cp(1).

scp_keep_mode DESCRIPTION
      csp_scp_keep_mode  uses  ssh to copy a file to a remote host, keeping its file permission mode. The trick used is a combination of mktemp(1)
      and mv(1).  Useful if you'd like to be sure a file gets installed e.g. group writable, without fiddling with permission bits on  the  remote
      host.

scp_keep_mode EXAMPLE
	chmod g+w rc
	csp_scp_keep_mode root@gandalf /etc/uruk rc

scp_keep_mode ENVIRONMENT
      csp_scp_keep_mode honors csp_SSH ("ssh" by default).

sucp DESCRIPTION
      csp_sucp calls cat(1) from within sudo(1) from within ssh(1). This allows one to copy files to accounts on hosts one can only reach by call-
      ing sudo on the ssh-reachable remote host.

Typically, one wants to install a root-owned file, but one does not want to allow access to the root-account directly  from  ssh.  Typically
      sudo is used as an extra line of defense.

sucp EXAMPLES
      Some examples:

csp_sucp rms@bilbo /etc fstab

csp_sucp monty-python commit/ trailer.txt

sucp BUGS
      If  NOPASSWD  is	not  set in the sudoers(5) file, and one's timestamp is expired, csp_sucp will forward the sudo password prompt. The given
      password will be echoed on the console!

AUTHOR
      Joost van Baal-Ili

SEE ALSO
      caspar(7) The caspar homepage is at http://mdcc.cx/caspar/ .

csp_helper 20120514						      14 mai 2012						       csp_helper(1)