Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - To retrieve an expression from the last line containing a pattern Post 302913461 by Antonio Fargas on Sunday 17th of August 2014 10:33:17 AM
Old 08-17-2014
Thanks RudyC for your reply on this

Please find below what i'm getting keying your command :
Code:
[val@REDHAT-1 tmp]$ awk -F, 'match ($0,pattern) {T=$4} END {print T}' pattern="00527072" test
3P3

Same Result by including the pattern value directly between the brackets :
Code:
[val@REDHAT-1 tmp]$ awk -F, 'match ($0,"00527072") {T=$4} END {print T}' test3P3

It looks like awk is not returning the latest expression matching with the pattern.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i conjunct two expression in one line in awk?

hi im trying to conjuct two expresssion , but not getting the exact result i need.. i want to conjuct 1) awk < /etc/passwd 'NR >15' and 2)awk < /etc/passwd '!/8niaz/' how will i execute , so it will start printing from the 16th line and will omit the lines which include '8niaz'. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niyas_gk
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

retrieve lines that match a pattern

Hi, I would like to know how can I get lines from a text file that match no more than 2 '>'. Example: Input file: a >cr1 4 a>b b>c a >cr2 5 a>b Output file: a >cr2 5 a>b Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fadista
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve string from each line in a file based on a pattern in Unix

I have a file which contains several lines. Sample content of the file is as below. OK testmessage email<test@123> NOK receivemessage email<123@test> NOK receivemessage email(123@test123) NOK receivemessage email<abc@test> i would like to know by scripting will... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramasar
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk + pattern search with regular expression

Hi , I have a file with "|" (pipe) as a delimeter. I am looking for the record count where 5th field is a number with 15 digit length only. all the records with above requirement is valid rest all are invalid. I need count of valid records and invalid records. Can anyone please help (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikash_k
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to move a line after the matched pattern line

I have the following text format in a file which lists the question first and then 5 choices after that the explanantion and finally the answer. 1.The amount of time it takes for most of a worker’s occupational knowledge and skills to become obsolete has been declining because of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanchil_guy
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut, sed, awk too slow to retrieve line - other options?

Hi, I have a script that, basically, has two input files of this type: file1 key1=value1_1_1 key2=value1_2_1 key4=value1_4_1 ... file2 key2=value2_2_1 key2=value2_2_2 key3=value2_3_1 key4=value2_4_1 ... My files are 10k lines big each (approx). The keys are strings that don't... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fzd
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: retrieve the data based on regular expression

Hi Friends i have a code below sample $text contains the values test1 PIC X test1 PIC XX test1 PIC XXX test1 PIC X(8) test1 PIC X(12) test1 PIC X test1 X(8) test1 PIC X VALUE 'N'. $text =~ /^\d{6} +(\d{2}) +(+) +PIC +(+)(\((\d+)\)(V(+)| +(COMP\-3).|\.)|( +(COMP\-3).|... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed , awk script for printing matched line before regular expression

hi All , I am having a large file with lots of modules as shown below ############################################### module KKK kksd kskks jsn;lsm jsnlsn; Ring jjsjsj kskmsm jjs endmodule module llll 1kksd11 k232skks j33sn;l55sm (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine lines from line with pattern match to a line that ends in a pattern

I am trying to combine lines with these conditions: 1. First line starts with text of "libname VALUE db2 datasrc" where VALUE can be any text. 2. If condition1 is met then continue to combine lines through a line that ends with a semicolon. 3. Ignore case when matching patterns and remove any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wes Kem
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to format each line by pattern

The four lines in the tab-delimeted input are a sample format from my actual data. The awk is meant to go line by line and check if a pattern is satisfied and if it is follow a particular format (there are 3). All the lines in the file should follow one of the three formats below. I added comments... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
regex(1F)                                                          FMLI Commands                                                         regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)