Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help me setting up dns and understanding it. Post 302913457 by bakunin on Sunday 17th of August 2014 08:55:09 AM
Old 08-17-2014
You might want to start telling us a bit about your environment: which OS you do use, which nameserver software you do use (perhaps bind, but first this is not a given and second there are different versions of bind which have to be configured differently).

In the meantime, here is a small introduction i wrote a while ago. You may want to read it first and then ask, if you still have questions.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting Up Dns Server In Bsd

I just learning BSD So how would you go about setting up a DNS server please explain like A,B,C I am a new very new UNIX users so any help would be great thanks :( :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BSD_NEWUSER
1 Replies

2. Linux

setting primary dns

Hi, I am running Fedora 7. I seem to remember there being a command to determine the primary dns. Can anyone help me find out what it is? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user23
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Setting up local DNS Server

Hi , Could some one please share some docs or steps to set up solaris box as a local DNS . Thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

dhcp not setting dns and changing to garbage

I have 2 problems. Dhcp is not setting dns and after I manually set my dns it changes to garbage. I literally just used command to set dns which is a good copy of resolv.conf: sudo cp /home/bob/Desktop/scripts_9-12-2011/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.confHere is a copy of my resolv.conf. #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS

I am trying to setup a CentOS 6.2 server that will be doing 3 things DHCP, DNS & Samba for a very small office (2 users). The idea being this will replace a very old Win2k server. The users are all windows based clients so only the server will be Linux based. I've installed CentOS 6.2 with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FireBIade
4 Replies

7. Linux

Setting up slave DNS?

can someone point me in the right direction im trying to setup a Slave dns server this is my named.conf file zone "website1.org" { type slave; file"mydb-for-website1-org"; notify NO; };and this is my var/named/mydb-for-website1-org $TTL 3D @ IN SOA ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gangsta
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding PATH variable setting?

I do know how we set the PATH variable- export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH I'm trying to understand why we have written :$PATH in the end above statement. What is it's meaning? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boy18nj
2 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Network Manager not setting correct DNS servers

Since a few weeks i use Ubuntu 16 on my laptop: # uname -a Linux xxxx 4.8.0-52-generic #55~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 28 14:36:29 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux Because i want to use a custom name server i set the properties in the "Edit Connections" dialogue to the following: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
2 Replies

10. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies
BIND8_QUERY2DLF.IN(1)					  LogReport's Lire Documentation				     BIND8_QUERY2DLF.IN(1)

NAME
bind8_query2dlf - convert BIND8 querylogs to dlf SYNOPSIS
bind8_query2dlf DESCRIPTION
This script converts each line in a bind8 querylog to a dns dlf record. BIND generates these logs when something like logging { channel query_logging { file "/var/log/named_querylog" versions 3 size 100M; print-time yes; // timestamp log entries }; category queries { query_logging; }; }; is in bind's named.conf. This will save up to three logfiles of maximum 100 megabytes in the directory /var/log. These logfiles look like: 10-Apr-2000 00:01:20.307 XX /10.2.3.4/1.2.3.in-addr.arpa/SOA/IN 10-Apr-2000 00:01:20.308 XX+/10.4.3.2/host.foo.com/A/IN EXAMPLES
To process a log as produced by bind8: $ bind8_query2dlf < dns-query bind8_query2dlf will be rarely used on its own, but is more likely called by lr_log2report: $ lr_log2report bind8_query < /var/log/dns-query SEE ALSO
http://www.logreport.org/doc/gen/dns/bind8.php bind9_query2dlf(1) VERSION
$Id: bind8_query2dlf.in,v 1.6 2006/07/23 13:16:33 vanbaal Exp $ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2001 Stichting LogReport Foundation LogReport@LogReport.org This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program (see COPYING); if not, check with http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html. AUTHOR
Edwin Groothuis, now maintained by Joost van Baal Lire 2.1.1 2006-07-23 BIND8_QUERY2DLF.IN(1)