Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Global Variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Global Variable Post 302913429 by Don Cragun on Saturday 16th of August 2014 03:17:33 PM
Old 08-16-2014
It depends on what is in your loop. Variables modified in a subshell environment will not be seen in the parent shell's execution environment.

Show us your code, explain what you're trying to do, and show us what you are getting.

NOTE: If this is a homework assignment, you need to post your question to the Homework and Coursework forum and follow the rules required for homework questions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global variable becomes local

I have encountered a very weird behavior of a global variable in Korn Shell in AIX: A function f1 in my script pipes the output of the function f2 to a program. A variable defined as global using typeset gets its value in f2. That value is not seen in f1. If I remove the pipe ksh recognizes the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: odashe318
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Variable in awk...

i think..... it's possible use a variable out a awk in the awk ??? ex. A=20071225 awk '{ print "the value is" $a }' OR awk '{ print "........"; c=10; print $c ; c=$A ; print $A}' for a external variable is possbile use in the awk ??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Variable in a script?

How to create a Global variable within a script file. say i want a varaible called LOGFILE to be used within all the script. how to do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

global variable in awk

I wrote a awk script file and define some global variables after BEGIN option: BEGIN { cell = ""; alarm = "";} when i run the command: awk -f awk_script inputfile The results are as expected. But when I put awk script into a shell script. Global variables couldn't be understand. I don't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anhtt
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

global variable not being set

In ksh I thought a global variable was any variable in a script or function that did not have the typeset command. I have a global in my calling script which I increment in a function, but the value does not change in the calling script. Here is the code: function f_open_log { typeset -r... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robotball
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global variable

I have written a shell scritp in which i am using a variable which is declared before a while loop and i am updaitng the variable in while loop and want to use its updated value outside the loop. I am not able to do so, b'coz the scope of the variable is limited to the while loop only and when i am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepanshu
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

global variable not holding its value?

dear there, this kept me awake last night, the variable ${TO} in the following script doesn't seem to hold its value. I have a file ./filelist, which lists all files of interests. I group them by keywords in the filename, and would like to count total number of lines in each group. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: patiobarbecue
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Global Variable

Hi Guyz, I have a requirement like, i have to run a script every hour to count the number of errors encountered. At the end of the day, i need to send them the total number of errors, that have ocurred the entire day. For eg. if 10 errors occurred for starting 1 hr, 5 for next 1 hr, so on.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DTechBuddy
1 Replies

9. Programming

Structure as global variable

I need to use the below global structure defined in code1.c in another code2.c struct memIOptrs { const char *name; unsigned char *virtptr; }MEM_IO_PTRS; I have a header file for the project codes.h, how should the structure be declared here. Also, what if the structure was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global variable value

Hi All, Im new to shell scripting. I am running EgA.sh and setting one global variable XYZ=0 . Also calling another EgB.sh from EgA.sh, changing the value of XYZ=10 but after executing EgB.sh, value of XYZ is still 0. Im expecting it to be 10. Anyone for help. Thanks in Advance. :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paliwal
5 Replies
HXCOPY(1)							  HTML-XML-utils							 HXCOPY(1)

NAME
hxcopy - copy an HTML file and update its relative links SYNOPSIS
hxcopy [ -i old-URL ] [ -o new-URL ] [ file-or-URL [ file-or-URL ] ] DESCRIPTION
The hxcopy command copies its first argument to its second argument, while updating relative links. The input is assumed to be HTML or XHTML and may be slightly reformatted in the process. If the second argument is omitted, hxcopy writes to standard output. In this case the option -o is required. If the first argument is also omitted, hxcopy reads from standard input. In this case the option -i is required. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -i old-URL For the purposes of updating relative links, act as if old-URL is the location from which the input is copied. If this option is omitted, the actual location of the first argument is used for calculating relative links. -o new-URL For the purposed of updating relative links, act as if new-URL is the location to which the input is copied. If this option is omitted, the actual location of the second argument is used for calculating relative links. ENVIRONMENT
To use a proxy to retrieve remote files, set the environment variables http_proxy and ftp_proxy. E.g., http_proxy="http://localhost:8080/" BUGS
Unlike the last argument of cp(1), the last argument of hxcopy must be a file, not a directory. The second argument must be a local file. Writing to a URL is not yet implemented. To work around this, replace hxcopy file.html http://example.org/file.html by hxcopy -o http://example.org/file.html file.html tmp.html and then upload tmp.html to the given URL with some other command, such as curl(1). The first argument, however, may be a URL. hxcopy will download the given file. (Currently only HTTP is supported.) EXAMPLE
Assume the HTML file foo.html contains a relative link to "../bar.html". Here are some examples of commands: hxcopy foo.html bar/foo.html The file foo.html is copied to ../bar/foo.html and the relative link to "../bar.html" becomes "../../bar.html". hxcopy foo.html ../foo.html The file foo.html is copied to ../foo.html and the relative link to "../bar.html" is rewritten as "bar.html". hxcopy -i http://my.org/dir1/foo.html -o http://my.org/foo.html file1.html file2.html The file file1.html is copied to file2.html and the relative link to "../bar.html" is rewritten as "bar.html". A command like this may be useful to update files that are later uploaded to a server. SEE ALSO
cp(1), curl(1), hxwls(1) 6.x 9 Dec 2008 HXCOPY(1)