Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Strange type mistake?!
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Strange type mistake?! Post 302913334 by Corona688 on Friday 15th of August 2014 11:06:20 AM
Old 08-15-2014
That cannot possibly be your code... BASH does not use // for comments, it uses #.

If your variables contain spaces you need to quote them in double-quote characters, like "$a" and "${CONFIGURATION_ARRAY[@]}" or BASH will split them in unintended ways.

That last "sudo" is probably the only place you don't want to quote them -- you want it to split there, to get normal behavior.

Instead of feeding everything into sudo, I suggest doing this: printf "[%s]\n" $N $M ...so you can tell exactly what arguments you're actually getting with those different methods.

Last edited by Corona688; 08-15-2014 at 12:38 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab Mistake!!!

Hi. I hope someone can help me with this problem. Being a novice to Unix, I editted my crontab directly by typing " crontab -e ". Well, I needed to make some changes so, I typed " crontab -r ". Now I have no crontab, and I can't seem to get crontab to write a new file. I' ve tried: vi... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

String type to date type

Can one string type variable changed into the date type variable. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rinku
1 Replies

3. Programming

array type has incomplete element type

Dear colleagues, One of my friend have a problem with c code. While compiling a c program it displays a message like "array type has incomplete element type". Any body can provide a solution for it. Jaganadh.G (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
1 Replies

4. AIX

Did a Mistake with HACMP

Hi, I needed space on a FS, and when I've added the space on the filesystem, I did it trough the regular smitty fs inteface and not with smitty cl_lvm. Can someone help me to repair the situat before a faileover happen ? Thanks for your help,:mad: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: azzed27
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any mistake in this code:

cat $1 | sort -n | uniq | $1 in other words, I sort the content of the file and put the ouput in the same file, is there any mistakes in this cshell code ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Takeeshe
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Probably some stupid mistake...

Hi everyone ! I have a file wich look like this : >Sis01 > Sis02 ... >Sis44 I want to separe each paragraphe in a different file, so I decide to use the "FOR" loop + sed. for f in {01..44} do (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sluvah
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can anyone help me to spot my mistake?

Hi there can anyone help me to spot my mistake and please explain why it appears My code : #!/usr/bin/gawk -f BEGIN { bytes =0} { temp=$(grep "datafeed\.php" | cut -d" " -f8) bytes += temp} END { printf "Number of bytes: %d\n", bytes } when I am running ./q411 an411 an411: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
6 Replies

8. Programming

Strange value of the double type variable: -nan(0x8000000000000)

I am confused by the value of "currdisk->currangle" after adding operation. Initially the value of "currdisk->currangle" is 0.77500000000000013, but after adding operation, it's changed to "-nan(0x8000000000000)", Can anyone explain ? Thanks! The following is the occasion of gdb debugging. 3338 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
8 Replies
LESSECHO(1)						      General Commands Manual						       LESSECHO(1)

NAME
lessecho - expand metacharacters SYNOPSIS
lessecho [-ox] [-cx] [-pn] [-dn] [-mx] [-nn] [-ex] [-a] file ... DESCRIPTION
lessecho is a program that simply echos its arguments on standard output. But any argument containing spaces is enclosed in quotes. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. -ox Specifies "x" to be the open quote character. -cx Specifies "x" to be the close quote character. -pn Specifies "n" to be the open quote character, as an integer. -dn Specifies "n" to be the close quote character, as an integer. -mx Specifies "x" to be a metachar. -nn Specifies "n" to be a metachar, as an integer. -ex Specifies "x" to be the escape char for metachars. -fn Specifies "n" to be the escape char for metachars, as an integer. -a Specifies that all arguments are to be quoted. The default is that only arguments containing spaces are quoted. SEE ALSO
less(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Thomas Schoepf <schoepf@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Send bug reports or comments to bug-less@gnu.org. Version 444: 09 Jun 2011 LESSECHO(1)