Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Command line not recognizing metacharacters in awk Post 302913113 by jvoot on Wednesday 13th of August 2014 08:02:16 PM
Old 08-13-2014
Thanks so much for this pilnet101. Actually, I'm trying to get the space *after* the digit which follows the comma, that is to say, a space before the tab that delimits the field.

Ultimately, I'd like each record of the textfile to look like this:

Code:
1 Ps 1,1[space][tab] VWB/(J ...

I'm trying to add that [space] above to accommodate a future double digit, i.e.,

Code:
Ps 1,10[Tab]Field $2

So, I'm trying to add a single space when there is only one digit after the comma (,1 ) and not have that space when there are two digits after the comma (,11).

Thanks so much and I apologize for my inability to explain this sufficiently. I am very new to this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a command line argument and a unix command to awk variables

Hi , I have a piece of code ...wherein I need to assign the following ... 1) A command line argument to a variable e.g origCount=ARGV 2) A unix command to a variable e.g result=`wc -l testFile.txt` in my awk shell script When I do this : print "origCount" origCount --> I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk pattern matching problem -not recognizing a column

Hi all, I am new to awk. I want to print the line numbers if the column has a particular value. For example I have: cat FILE1 COL1 COL2 X114 0 X116 0 X117 0 X120 0 X121 0 X125 0 X126 0 X127 0 X131 1 X132 0 X135 0 X136 0 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newpro
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The ll command + metacharacters

Hello. I am learning how to use Unix through an online course. Unfortunately the text that we use isn't very good, so I could use some help with a pretty basic question. Use metacharacters and the ll command to list all filenames under the datafiles directory that contain a dot "." with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feverdream
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using current line in a command in AWK

Hi, Im trying to get current line in the AGREP command I use in AWK. My script looks like this: list.txt car bus checklist.txt cer buss cat list.txt | awk -v mycmd="$(agrep -2 -i $0 checklist.txt)" '{print $mycmd}' It doesnt work. How can I get the current line in the $0... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: m4rty
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping metacharacters in paths for a shell command

I have a file which contains a list of paths separated by a new line character. e.g /some/path/to/a/file.png /some/path to/another/file.jpeg /some path/to yet/another/file Notice that these paths may contain metacharacters, the spaces for example are also not escaped. If I wanted... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - ignore metacharacters, search shell variables

Can I use awk to search for a string, passed from the shell, that might include metacharacters? File1 entries: Bob Marley Jammin (Bonus Track).mp3 File2 entries: Bob Marley Jammin (Bonus Track).mp3 32000 /Music/Bob Marley/ Jammin (Bonus Track).mp3 So far, I have this; $ sed -e... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSommers
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need an awk command to delete a line

Hi all, As of now am using an awk command to check the number of columns in a file that has 10 lakh rows. Is it possible to remove that particular line having an extra column and copy the remaining lines to a new file ? YOUR HELP IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED. THANKS IN ADVANCE (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahul619
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command line - awk, sed

My input file gfile values is CTRY=GM&PROJTYPE=SP&PROJECTTYPE=Small+Project If i am giving PROJECTTYPE then it must give Small Project awk -F"&" '{for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) if ($i ~ "^"PAT) {sub ("^"PAT"=", "", $i); sed 's/'+'/""/' $i ; print $i }}' PAT=$1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass awk field to a command line executed within awk

Hi, I am trying to pass awk field to a command line executed within awk (need to convert a timestamp into formatted date). All my attempts failed this far. Here's an example. It works fine with timestamp hard-codded into the command echo "1381653229 something" |awk 'BEGIN{cmd="date -d... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuxer
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk command not replacing in first line

As per requirement if column 2 is NULL then 'N' ELSE 'Y'. I have written below awk code. But it is not replacing values for first line. :confused: cat temp.txt 1|abc|3 1||4 1|11|c awk -F'|' '{if($2==""){$2="N"}else{$2="Y"} print $0 } {OFS="|"} ' < temp.txt 1 Y 3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_hammer
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)