Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Something in my PATH too much. Post 302913081 by OmarKN on Wednesday 13th of August 2014 03:43:41 PM
Old 08-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbe
and do you have a bin subdir in your $HOME?
Yes - I do have a bin under HOME (don't remember how it got there).

It has a shell script ("showlines.sh")

Code:
#!/bin/bash
grep -ci word * | while read line; do
if [ ${line#*:} -gt 0 ]; then
 printf "%s\n" "$line"
fi
done

Should I move this folder / the file somewhere else?

What does the script actually do?

with best regards,
Omar K N
Stockholm, Sweden

Last edited by Corona688; 08-13-2014 at 04:51 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi - replacing a relative path with absolute path in a file

Hi, I have a file with about 60 lines of path: app-defaults/boxXYZ....... I want to change this to /my/path/goes/here/app-defaults/boxXYZ, but of course vi doesn't like the regualr :s/old/new/ command. Is there any other quick way to do this? Thanks ;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yinzer955i
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Commands From Non-Standard Path (Changing user's PATH secretely???)

Hi: I have a requirement as below: I have some standard Unix commands modified and kept them in a directory say /usr/clsh/bin. For example I have a script named "ls" kept here which is modified version of "ls" (say it always gives long listing i.e. ls -l). When any user logs on and types... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramesh_samane
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

absolute path for a script ran with relative path

I have a script in which i want to print absolute path of the same script irrespective of path from where i run script. I am using test.sh: echo "pwd : `pwd`" echo "script name: $0" echo "dirname: `dirname $0`" when i run script from /my/test/dir/struct as ../test.sh the output i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rss67
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from parent path to multiple child path using bash in efficient way

Hi All, Can you please provide some pointers to move files from Base path to multiple paths in efficient way.Folder Structure is already created. /Path/AdminUser/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt to /Path/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt /Path/AdminUser/User1/2222/Reports/bbb.txt to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikgv417
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern match a path anywhere in the line and replace it with new path

I want to pattern match only path part from below and replace them with new path string. LoadModule jk_module /fldrA/fldrBaf/fldrCaa/modules/mod_jk.so JkWorkersFile /fldrA/fldrBaf/fldrCaa/config/OHS/ohs1/workers.properties JkLogFile... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate class path dynamically based on source path

Hi experts, I have multiple file names ending with .jsp located in $SOME_DIR, $SOME_DIR/f1/,$SOME_DIR/f2/test,$SOME_DIR/f3/fa and there are equivalent class files in $SOME_DIR/WEB-INF/classes/_pages,$SOME_DIR/WEB-INF/classes/_pages/_f1,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to see the logical volume path, device mapper path and its corresponding dm device path

Currently I am using this laborious command lvdisplay | awk '/LV Path/ {p=$3} /LV Name/ {n=$3} /VG Name/ {v=$3} /Block device/ {d=$3; sub(".*:", "/dev/dm-", d); printf "%s\t%s\t%s\n", p, "/dev/mapper/"v"-"n, d}' Would like to know if there is any shorter method to get this mapping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. Programming

Makefile missing include path Although the path exists and defined

i have make file which i try to make them generic but it keeps to compline it missing include directory this is the makefile : CXX=g++ CPPFAGS= -Wall -O0 -g -std=c++14 INCLUDES = -I/home/vagrant/libuv/include -Isrc LIBS_DIRS = -L/home/vagrant/libuv/build LDFLAGS=... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
7 Replies
X11START(1)						      General Commands Manual						       X11START(1)

NAME
x11start - start the X11 window system SYNOPSIS
x11start [options] DESCRIPTION
NOTE: Beginning with the next release of HP-UX, x11start and its components (xinit, sys.x11start, and sys.Xdefaults) will not be supported. vuelogin (an enhanced version of xdm) will perform all start-up tasks, regardless of whether or not HP-VUE is in use. See the HP Visual Environment User's Guide and the vuelogin man page for information on vuelogin. x11start is a shell script that provides a standarized method for starting up the X Window System server and selected X clients when the Visual User Environment (HP-VUE) is not used. Specifically, it performs the following start-up tasks: o PATH environment variable set-up appropriate for the X environment o X server start-up o selected client(s) start-up from a specific client file o general user resource loading from a specific resource file Components x11start encompasses the following components: o the /usr/contrib/bin/X11/x11start script o the /usr/contrib/bin/X11/xinit program o the default client script, /usr/contrib/lib/X11/sys.x11start o the default resouce file, /usr/contrib/lib/X11/sys.Xdefaults The x11start script o creates a command to load resources from the appropriate resource file using xrdb (see xrdb(1)) (This command is not executed immedi- ately but rather is assigned to the (exported) environment variable, doxrdb which is normally executed via the client script after the server has been started up.) o inserts /usr/bin/X11 ahead of /usr/bin in the PATH environment variable and appends /usr/vue/bin and /usr/contrib/bin/X11 to the end o execs xinit as follows (see xinit(1)): xinit clientscript options where clientscript is $HOME/.x11start or /usr/contrib/lib/X11/sys.x11start options are the xinit options exactly as specified on the x11start command line (see Options below). The xinit program o starts the server with the server arguments specified in options o runs the client script, passing it the client arguments specified in options o waits for either the server or client script to terminate and then terminates whatever remains running The default client script, /usr/contrib/lib/X11/sys.x11start o executes the environment variable, $doxrdb which was setup previously by x11start to load the appropriate resource file to the server o runs both mwm and hpterm with all client arguments specified in options o sleeps indefinitely so that the X Window System will not be shut down by xinit when all client script processes have terminated. The default resource file, /usr/contrib/lib/X11/sys.Xdefaults o sets the default Foreground, Background and BorderColor resources o contains sample resources for a number of common clients. Customized client and resource files can be created by copying the default files to $HOME/.x11start and $HOME/.Xdefaults, respectively, and then customizing them. Custom- ized files that exist (with the appropriate permissions) will be used by the x11start components in place of the default files. Options x11start options are the same as xinit options except that a client script cannot be specified. Arguments preceeding a "--" (double dash), or all arguments if "--" is not specified, are passed on to the client script and can be accessed as positional parameters within that script. Arguments following a "--" that begins with a slash (/) or a period (.) identify the server. If a server is not explicity specified, xinit determines the server from $DISPLAY if defined; otherwise from $XSERVERRC. If neither of these are defined, $HOME/.xserverrc is used if it exists and is executable; otherwise X :0 is used. Arguments following a "--" that don't begin with a slash or period are passed on to the appropriate server. See xinit(1) for more details. EXAMPLES
The following examples illustrate how x11start can be used to control the server and/or interact with the client script. x11start This starts the default xinit server and executes the client script (either /usr/contrib/lib/X11/sys.x11start or $HOME/.x11start) without passing arguments to either. x11start -bg black -fn 24x36 This starts the default xinit server and executes the client script, passing it all of the arguments. If the default client script is used, -bg black -fn 24x36 is be passed to both mwm and hpterm since both of their default command lines contain "$@". If the default client script is used, the actual xinit command executed is: xinit /usr/contrib/lib/X11/sys.x11start -bg black -fn 24x36 x11start -fg white -- :1 This starts the default server on display 1 and executes the client script with the arguments, -fg white. If the customized client script is used, the xinit command line is: xinit $HOME/.x11start -fg white -- :1 x11start -- Xhp -a2 -t 5 This starts the server, Xhp with the arguents, -a2 -t 5 and then executes the client script without any arguments. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
DISPLAY PATH XSERVERRC doxrgb FILES
/usr/contrib/lib/X11/sys.Xdefaults /usr/contrib/lib/X11/sys.x11start $HOME/.Xdefaults $HOME/.x11start $HOME/.xserverrc ORIGIN
HP SEE ALSO
X(1), xinit(1), hpterm(1), mwm(1), xrdb(1) X Version 11 Release 5 X11START(1)