Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Running q-shell commands( on IBM-i Series) from cygwin terminal (on windows) Post 302912896 by gaurav99 on Tuesday 12th of August 2014 01:56:22 PM
Old 08-12-2014
Running q-shell commands( on IBM-i Series) from cygwin terminal (on windows)

I have cygwin installed on windows server and when I do

echo $SHELL the output is

/bin/bash

I have created a ssh tunnel from this windows server through cygwin to ibm -i series which is running Q-shell.

I am trying to invoke a utility wsadmin (used for scripting) on ibm-i from the cygwin terminal and I get the error

wsadmin : syntax error at line 12: '(' unexpected

But when I login through the IBM-i client tool and run the same command it works fine.

How can I run the Q-shell commands (on IBM-I) from cygwin terminal(on windows server) without affecting the current scripts using the /bin/bash on cygwin. Is there a setting I am missing ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Ibm Mq Series

hi everybody, My name is Raj i work in GE Global Software Solutions As Siebel Analyst. Can any one help in writing the code in Ansi C on HP-Unix platform to get data from IBM MQ-Series Server. IBM MQ-series client will be installed on the client machine which is on WIN NT platform. And MQ-series... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: garimella
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running Terminal and/or X-Windows in Mac OS X

Quick question: When I load up Terminal or X-Windows on my Mac, and the prompt comes up...what folder am I starting in? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liquidcross
2 Replies

3. AIX

installation of 5.2 on iBM p series system

Hi all, we have iBM p series server on that 4. 3 operating system is runing.but i need ti install 5.2 or 5.3 then i ahve to install oracle 10g release 2 .but we have only 1 GB of RAM.can i install 5.2 or 5.3 with same RAM and please send me a document which discribe about how to install... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: younusdba
5 Replies

4. AIX

IBM AIX on IBM Eseries & x series server

Hi, I want to know whether IBM AIX can be installed on the IBM e series and x series server hardware? Thanks & Regards Arun (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun.Kakarla
2 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

[Solved] Running shell code in AppleScript without Terminal

What I want my script to do is to run a command in Terminal and close that same Terminal window when the process is complete. Of course I could ad a delay of 6 seconds to complete the process, but it may not be enough every time. To simplify my question, this is what I want to achieve.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShadowofLight
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running shell script in Cygwin terminal

I am new to shell scripting. I tried to run a simple shell script using Cygwin terminal in Win XP env. The script I have written is as follows - #!/bin/bash a=5 ] && echo "true" || echo "false" But when I execute the script, getting some confusing error. The error I am getting are - ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_learner
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to save and execute terminal commands in shell?

I frequently use some commands, which I want to save in some file say myregularshell.shthese are the commands I use, I tried saving and executing, but couldn't get the preview of execution, and result is also not coming if I copy same commands and paste it on terminal result is coming cd go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies

8. AIX

How to Login Bios Server IBM p series?

Hii guys, I have IBM server power series, how to login BIOS at server IBM Power7 750, 730, 720, 520 and 550 ? and if I will new Install AIX, How I config " First Boot DVD" ?? I use command " # mount -V cdrfs -o ro /dev/cd0 /mnt " ( not work after reboot system). I need your help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: williamen
2 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

IBM ServeRAID M5100 Series

Hi, Is it possible to check progress when replace a faulty disk without reboot server? OS is RHEL 5. Please advice. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mzainal
1 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -e Directly execute the given command, without forking. This option is meant for use in /etc/inittab. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)