Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Send/receive file through serial using minicom Post 302912850 by achenle on Tuesday 12th of August 2014 07:52:45 AM
Old 08-12-2014
OK, this doesn't directly answer your question, but why ping test any network connection before trying to use it? That's like checking a car for a trailer hitch before taking it to pick up a gallon of milk at 7-11 - it's completely irrelevant to what you're trying to do. Sure, a positive result tells you the car is there, but it doesn't tell you the car works. And a negative result tells you only that there's no trailer hitch - the car could still be there working just fine to boot.

Networks can be and are configured to block explorations such as pings. Hosts can be and are configured to not respond to pings. Networks can also and often are configured to block SSH or FTP sessions, so even if a ping is successful that's not proof an SSH session will connect.

If you're going to use a network-based service, just use the damn thing. A successful ping prior to trying such a service doesn't mean the service works, and a failed ping doesn't mean it won't.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Tcp Ip Send Receive Server Program

Requirements: A server program should read a file and send the message to the client . if the file is not there, then switch to the receive part of the same program and receive any messages from the socket. If no messages to receive then switch to send part of the program to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeshsu
2 Replies

2. Programming

how i can transfer and receive file in any format over serial port

helo i m using fedora core 6 o.s. i want to develop application using c,c++ which transfer file in any format(like pdf,txt,doc etc) over the serial port and i want to receive the same file from the serial port please guide me. amit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
4 Replies

3. Linux

how to test for serial commonication??(minicom)

I am testing for serial comm.......... I got suggestion of minicom.... but when i fire minicom... then i get the following error... minicom minicom: WARNING: configuration file not found, using defaults Device /dev/modem access failed: No such file or directory. I am using fedora 6 ,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunchaudhary19
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Minicom runscript: How to send escape character ( \ )

Please can any of you address my query which I dont find in the runscript MAN page and other results on google. I am using minicom scripts to configure my uboot environment. I have to send a string which contains the escape character ( \ ) itself as follows send "set bootcmd bootm cp.b... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkhanna
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I can send but cannot receive mail with unix?

Hi all, First post! I have just discovered that I can use unix to send mail to a mail address. I normally use entourage for my mail. This unix mail is very intriguing to me, but something is not working... I tried the search, but could not find the answer... This works: (in terminal)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bjorn
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can send but not receive email

Hi, One of the users in our company can send but not receive email. We are using SENDMAIL in conjunction with procmail. The funny thing is that all his sent email is in his /var/spool/mail but the email client does not pick anything up! He is using IMAP. Anyone see have any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

7. Programming

Send/Receive buffer size??

Dear friends, How do I find the TCP send and receive buffer size? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to monitor send/receive bytes

Hello, I need to create a script to monitor sent/received packets for a period of time (the period of time will be a users input) and write the result to some txt file. Is there any command (don`t want to use any 3rd party sw) what I can use? I`m using Solaris 10. Thank you (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: msojka77
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send Receive Mails

Hi All, I am writing one script to automate one long process. In this process we need to upload some input files and download some output files. So , I want to automate this upload and download by using mail functionality. I want to trigger this script when I am sending mail to server. I know... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NirajThakar
0 Replies

10. Solaris

zfs send receive performance issues

I 'm trying to clone a zfs file system pool/u01 to a new file system called newpool/u01 using following commands zfs list zfs snapshot pool/u01@new zfs send pool/u01@new | zfs -F receive newpool/u01 Its a 100G file system snapshot and copied to same server on different pool and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
9 Replies
SETETHER(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       SETETHER(8)

NAME
setether - Set the ethernet address for use with DECnet SYNOPSIS
setether <if> [<if>...]|all [options] DESCRIPTION
Set ethernet MAC address on ethernet adaptors This script should be run at system startup. It will change the ethernet hardware (MAC) address of any or all ethernet interfaces to match the DECnet node address. DECnet requires that the MAC address of all ethernet adaptors running the protocol be set approriately. If you do not run setether then you must change the ethernet address in some other way for DECnet to work. By default no ethernet interfaces will have their MAC addresses changed by setether, if you specify all then all interfaces name eth* will be changed, otherwise a list of interface names can be specified. setether will enable (UP) all interfaces it changes the MAC addresses of. (2.4 only) The first interface specified on the command-line will also be made the default interface for DECnet operations (ie attempts to contact nodes not in the neighbour table will be done over this interface). This script must be run with the interface inactive, it is normally run from /etc/init.d/decnet before TCP/IP starts up. EXAMPLES
set the MAC address of eth0. # /sbin/setether eth0 set the MAC address of all ethernet interfaces # /sbin/setether all HELPFUL HINTS
If you have multiple ethernet cards on your system and they are connected to the the same network you should specify which one you want to use for DECnet communication on the setether command line, otherwise they will both be given the same MAC address and this is probably not what you want. Running DECnet on multiple ethernet interfaces only works under Linux 2.4. If you are running Linux 2.2 then the interface name on the setether command line must match the one in /etc/decnet.conf(5). SEE ALSO
decnet.conf(5), dntype(1), dndir(1), dndel(1), dnetd(8), dnping(1) DECnet utilities March 01 2001 SETETHER(8)