Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Send/receive file through serial using minicom Post 302912847 by linuxmember on Tuesday 12th of August 2014 07:31:13 AM
Old 08-12-2014
Send/receive file through serial using minicom

i have connected with my board through serial interface using minicom and i am running a bash script, which should test ethernet (ping test), USB read/write, RS232 ..

I have managed to test ethernet and USB read/write.
I test ethernet with ping.
I test USB read/write, using dd and verifying the checksum with md5.

But i am stuck with testing RS232. Could you provide me ideas as to how i can do that using minicom session. I want to test that the serial interface is working properly.

Thanks,
srik

---------- Post updated at 06:31 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:29 AM ----------

One idea i have is to send a file using sz to the host and then check for the files authenticity. but then it wasnot possible without human intervention (since i had to press ok after receving the file in minicom using xmodem protocol)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Tcp Ip Send Receive Server Program

Requirements: A server program should read a file and send the message to the client . if the file is not there, then switch to the receive part of the same program and receive any messages from the socket. If no messages to receive then switch to send part of the program to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeshsu
2 Replies

2. Programming

how i can transfer and receive file in any format over serial port

helo i m using fedora core 6 o.s. i want to develop application using c,c++ which transfer file in any format(like pdf,txt,doc etc) over the serial port and i want to receive the same file from the serial port please guide me. amit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
4 Replies

3. Linux

how to test for serial commonication??(minicom)

I am testing for serial comm.......... I got suggestion of minicom.... but when i fire minicom... then i get the following error... minicom minicom: WARNING: configuration file not found, using defaults Device /dev/modem access failed: No such file or directory. I am using fedora 6 ,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunchaudhary19
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Minicom runscript: How to send escape character ( \ )

Please can any of you address my query which I dont find in the runscript MAN page and other results on google. I am using minicom scripts to configure my uboot environment. I have to send a string which contains the escape character ( \ ) itself as follows send "set bootcmd bootm cp.b... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkhanna
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I can send but cannot receive mail with unix?

Hi all, First post! I have just discovered that I can use unix to send mail to a mail address. I normally use entourage for my mail. This unix mail is very intriguing to me, but something is not working... I tried the search, but could not find the answer... This works: (in terminal)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bjorn
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can send but not receive email

Hi, One of the users in our company can send but not receive email. We are using SENDMAIL in conjunction with procmail. The funny thing is that all his sent email is in his /var/spool/mail but the email client does not pick anything up! He is using IMAP. Anyone see have any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

7. Programming

Send/Receive buffer size??

Dear friends, How do I find the TCP send and receive buffer size? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to monitor send/receive bytes

Hello, I need to create a script to monitor sent/received packets for a period of time (the period of time will be a users input) and write the result to some txt file. Is there any command (don`t want to use any 3rd party sw) what I can use? I`m using Solaris 10. Thank you (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: msojka77
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send Receive Mails

Hi All, I am writing one script to automate one long process. In this process we need to upload some input files and download some output files. So , I want to automate this upload and download by using mail functionality. I want to trigger this script when I am sending mail to server. I know... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NirajThakar
0 Replies

10. Solaris

zfs send receive performance issues

I 'm trying to clone a zfs file system pool/u01 to a new file system called newpool/u01 using following commands zfs list zfs snapshot pool/u01@new zfs send pool/u01@new | zfs -F receive newpool/u01 Its a 100G file system snapshot and copied to same server on different pool and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
9 Replies
RUNSCRIPT(1)						      General Commands Manual						      RUNSCRIPT(1)

NAME
runscript - script interpreter for minicom SYNOPSIS
runscript scriptname [logfile [homedir]] DESCRIPTION
runscript is a simple script interpreter that can be called from within the minicom communications program to automate tasks like logging in to a unix system or your favorite bbs. INVOCATION
The program expects a script name and optionally a filename and the user's home directory as arguments, and it expects that it's input and output are connected to the "remote end", the system you are connecting to. All messages from runscript meant for the local screen are directed to the stderr output. All this is automatically taken care of if you run it from minicom. The logfile and home directory parame- ters are only used to tell the log command the name of the logfile and where to write it. If the homedir is omitted, runscript uses the directory found in the $HOME environment variable. If also the logfile name is omitted, the log commands are ignored. KEYWORDS
Runscript recognizes the following commands: expect send goto gosub return ! exit print set inc dec if timeout verbose sleep break call log OVERVIEW OF KEYWORDS
send <string> <string> is sent to the modem. It is followed by a ' '. <string> can be: - regular text, e.g. 'send hello' - text enclosed in quotes, e.g. 'send "hello world"' Within <string> the following sequences are recognized: - newline - carriage return a - bell  - backspace c - don't send the default ' '. f - formfeed ^ - the ^ character o - send character o (o is an octal number) Control characters can be used in the string with the ^ prefix (^A to ^Z, ^[, ^ ^], ^^ and ^_). If you need to send the ^ character, you must prefix it with the escape character. Also $(environment_variable) can be used, for example $(TERM). Minicom passes three special environment variables: $(LOGIN), which is the username, $(PASS), which is the password, as defined in the proper entry of the dialing directory, and $(TERMLIN) which is the number of actual terminal lines on your screen (that is, the statusline excluded). print <string> Prints <string> to the local screen. Default followed by ' '. See the description of 'send' above. label: Declares a label (with the name 'label') to use with goto or gosub. goto <label> Jump to another place in the program. gosub <label> Jumps to another place in the program. When the statement 'return' is encountered, control returns to the statement after the gosub. Gosub's can be nested. return Return from a gosub. ! <command> Runs a shell for you in which 'command' is executed. On return, the variable '$?' is set to the exit status of this command, so you can subsequently test it using 'if'. exit [value] Exit from "runscript" with an optional exit status. (default 1) set <variable> <value> Sets the value of <variable> (which is a single letter a-z) to the value <value>. If <variable> does not exist, it will be created. <value> can be a integer value or another variable. inc <variable> Increments the value of <variable> by one. dec <variable> Decrements the value of <variable> by one. if <value> <operator> <value> <statement> Conditional execution of <statement>. <operator> can be <, >, != or =. Eg, 'if a > 3 goto exitlabel'. timeout <value> Sets the global timeout. By default, 'runscript' will exit after 120 seconds. This can be changed with this command. Warning: this command acts differently within an 'expect' statement, but more about that later. verbose <on|off> By default, this is 'on'. That means that anything that is being read from the modem by 'runscript', gets echoed to the screen. This is so that you can see what 'runscript' is doing. sleep <value> Suspend execution for <value> seconds. expect expect { pattern [statement] pattern [statement] [timeout <value> [statement] ] .... } The most important command of all. Expect keeps reading from the input until it reads a pattern that matches one of the specified ones. If expect encounters an optional statement after that pattern, it will execute it. Otherwise the default is to just break out of the expect. 'pattern' is a string, just as in 'send' (see above). Normally, expect will timeout in 60 seconds and just exit, but this can be changed with the timeout command. break Break out of an 'expect' statement. This is normally only useful as argument to 'timeout' within an expect, because the default action of timeout is to exit immediately. call <scriptname> Transfers control to another scriptfile. When that scriptfile finishes without errors, the original script will continue. log <text> Write text to the logfile. NOTES
If you want to make your script to exit minicom (for example when you use minicom to dial up your ISP, and then start a ppp or slip session from a script), try the command "! killall -9 minicom" as the last script command. The -9 option should prevent minicom from hanging up the line and resetting the modem before exiting. Well, I don't think this is enough information to make you an experienced 'programmer' in 'runscript', but together with the examples it shouldn't be too hard to write some useful script files. Things will be easier if you have experience with BASIC. The minicom source code comes together with two example scripts, scriptdemo and unixlogin. Especially the last one is a good base to build on for your own scripts. SEE ALSO
minicom(1) BUGS
Runscript should be built in to minicom. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, <miquels@drinkel.ow.org> Jukka Lahtinen, <walker@netsonic.fi> User's Manual $Date: 2007-10-07 18:13:51 $ RUNSCRIPT(1)