Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to monitor size in directory Post 302912610 by SkySmart on Sunday 10th of August 2014 08:52:02 PM
Old 08-10-2014
worked perfectly. thanks guys!

one last question on this:

Code:
find /var/log -name "*.test*" -exec du -m {} \;

how do i add a second command to the above so it also includes the number of seconds ago that each file was last modified?

something like:

Code:
find /var/log -name "*.test*" -exec du -m {} \; -exec perl -le "print ((stat '${eachFile}')[9])"

Another issue i'm having is, i need to catch files that breach the warning and critical thresholds by issuing only one find command. currently, im running two separate find sessions, one for warning, the other for critical. i'd like to be able to combine them into one.

what im currently doing is:

Code:
warning=`find /var/log -name "*test.log*" -size +20000c -amin -1440 -exec du -m {} \; 2>/dev/null`
critical=`find /var/log -name "*test.log*" -size +60000c -amin -1440 -exec du -m {} \; 2>/dev/null`

any ideas?

Last edited by SkySmart; 08-10-2014 at 10:32 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

monitor jvm heap size

I'm running websphere 4.5 on AIX 5 with java 1.3 and would like to find out the following: How much memory is allocated to each JVM, and how much of the allocated heap size is actually being used by a specific JVM? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor directory

What is the best way for a script to run to monitor a directory for the presence of files and then perform a function afterwords? I was hoping to have it continually run and sleep until it detects that files are present in the directory, then break out of the loop and go on to the next step. ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: nulinux
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

monitor size of file in realtime

How would one monitor the size of a file in realtime, then when it reaches a certain size (like 10megs), gzip, append timestamp to filename and scp to another box? regards (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazno
7 Replies

4. AIX

monitor directory events

I'm am looking for a cheap way to trigger a script when a new file is written in a specific directory. AIX 5.3. It is a production system, so no kernel patching (i.e. inotify). Filemon and audtiing are too expensive. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbillast
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Directory size larger than file system size?

Hi, We currently have an Oracle database running and it is creating lots of processes in the /proc directory that are 1000M in size. The size of the /proc directory is now reading 26T. How can this be if the root file system is only 13GB? I have seen this before we an Oracle temp file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor for new file with ext .err and size > 0 bytes and perform a action or command

Hi All, I need to create a script to monitor a dir for new files with ext .err and also it should b a non empty files. and perform a action or command . We have a new ETL application that runs on a linux server, every times a etl fails it creates a .err file or updates the existing .err... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MAKHAN
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor directory size of specific users

Hi, i am new to shell scripts, i need to write a script that can monitor size of directory of specific users. Please help. Thanks, Nitin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicksrulz
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies
IPSEC_BARF(8)							Executable programs						     IPSEC_BARF(8)

NAME
ipsec_barf - spew out collected IPsec debugging information SYNOPSIS
ipsec barf [--short --maxlines <100>] DESCRIPTION
Barf outputs (on standard output) a collection of debugging information (contents of files, selections from logs, etc.) related to the IPsec encryption/authentication system. It is primarily a convenience for remote debugging, a single command which packages up (and labels) all information that might be relevant to diagnosing a problem in IPsec. The --short option limits the length of the log portion of barf's output, which can otherwise be extremely voluminous if debug logging is turned on. --maxlines <100> option sets the length of some bits of information, currently netstat -rn. Useful on boxes where the routing table is thousands of lines long. Default is 100. Barf censors its output, replacing keys and secrets with brief checksums to avoid revealing sensitive information. Beware that the output of both commands is aimed at humans, not programs, and the output format is subject to change without warning. Barf has to figure out which files in /var/log contain the IPsec log messages. It looks for KLIPS and general log messages first in messages and syslog, and for Pluto messages first in secure, auth.log, and debug. In both cases, if it does not find what it is looking for in one of those "likely" places, it will resort to a brute-force search of most (non-compressed) files in /var/log. FILES
/proc/net/* /var/log/* /etc/ipsec.conf /etc/ipsec.secrets HISTORY
Written for the Linux FreeS/WAN project <http://www.freeswan.org> by Henry Spencer. BUGS
Barf uses heuristics to try to pick relevant material out of the logs, and relevant messages which are not labelled with any of the tags that barf looks for will be lost. We think we've eliminated the last such case, but one never knows... Finding updown scripts (so they can be included in output) is, in general, difficult. Barf uses a very simple heuristic that is easily fooled. The brute-force search for the right log files can get expensive on systems with a lot of clutter in /var/log. AUTHOR
Paul Wouters placeholder to suppress warning libreswan 12/16/2012 IPSEC_BARF(8)