Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to redirect stderr for <file if file does not exist? Post 302912390 by Corona688 on Thursday 7th of August 2014 06:34:01 PM
Old 08-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stora
Thanks. Actually the answer is close. var=$(<"$file") seems to block the expansion of the *
If the * expands to more than one file, that may cause problems.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout and stderr

How can I redirect and append stdout and stderr to a file when using cron? Here is my crontab file: */5 * * * * /dir/php /dir/process_fns.php >>& /dir/dump.txt Cron gives me an 'unexpected character found in line' when trying to add my crontab file. Regards, Zach Curtis POPULUS (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zcurtis
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i redirect stderr to file in Make?

Hello all im using tcsh shell on sun Solaris , using the Make utility for compilation i will like to be able to redirect the stderr to file , how can it be done ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr and stdout to a file

Hi friends I am facing one problem while redirecting the out of the stderr and stdout to a file let example my problem with a simple example I have a file (say test.sh)in which i run 2 command in the background ps -ef & ls & and now i am run this file and redirect the output to a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushantnirwan
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect just stderr to a file with a timestamp

I'm using below command to redirect stderr to a file but I also want to add timestamp to stderr.out to find out the date / time the error occurred. ls -ltr 2>>/tmp/stderr.out Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout/stderr to a file globally

Hi I am not if this is possible: is it possible in bach (or another shell) to redirect GLOBALLY the stdout/stderr channels to a file. So, if I have a script script.sh cmd1 cmd2 cmd3 I want all stdout/stderr goes to a file. I know I can do: ./script.sh 1>file 2>&1 OR ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islegmar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stdout and stderr to file wrong order problem with subshell

Hello I read a lot of post related to this topic, but nothing helped me. :mad: I'm running a ksh script with subshell what processing some ldap command. I need to check output for possible errors. #!/bin/ksh ... readinput < $QCHAT_INPUT |& while read -p line do echo $line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Osim
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr to a file as well

Hello everyone, I'm a nooby in Linux, and I need some help. I have a shell script like this: echo "Start of script" > ../My_Log_Dir/Script_Name.log .. cp ../My_DataIn/File.txt ../My_DataOut/ 2>> ../My_Log_Dir/Script_Name.log rc=$? .. echo "End of Script" >>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: H.Faria
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh- redirect stderr to file and then modify the file

I have the following: remsh $host -n 2>>syslog_issue_list.txt grep -i -e "EMS" -e "error" -e "warning" -e "excessive" /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log | awk /"$DATE1"/ | awk -vhost="$host" '!/remsh|telnetd/{print host "\n", $0 >> "syslog_issue_list.txt"}' I am creating a health script that has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipblah84
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.logBut during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Lucas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: Code: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.log But during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Luc edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags like the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmonk1
6 Replies
FAXANSWER(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      FAXANSWER(8)

NAME
faxanswer - tell a HylaFAX server to answer the telephone SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxanswer [ -q queue-dir ] [ -h how ] modem DESCRIPTION
faxanswer sends a message to the HylaFAX faxgetty(8) process servicing modem telling it to answer the telephone. This is useful, for exam- ple, when a modem is used on a shared phone line and the server is configured to not normally answer the phone. The specified modem can either be the name (typically the last component of the terminal port the modem is attached to), or the full name of the associated FIFO named pipe file, e.g. ``FIFO.ttym2''. OPTIONS
-q dir Use a spooling area other than /var/spool/hylafax. -h Specify exactly how the phone should be answered. By default, the server process is instructed to answer the phone and accept any kind of call (voice, data, fax). Discrimination of the type of call is dependent on a modem's adaptive-answer support. The -h option can be used to force the server to answer the phone for particular type of call: one of fax, data, voice, any, extern (to force faxgetty to invoke an external application to to handle the call), or dialX (where X is a dialstring to dial before initiating a fax reception). If using dialX, the specified dialstring will likely need to end with a semicolon (``;''). FILES
/var/spool/hylafax default spooling area /var/spool/hylafax/FIFO fifo for contacting faxq Consult hylafax-server(5) for a complete discussion of the structure and content of the spooling area. SEE ALSO
hylafax-server(5), faxgetty(8) May 23, 1996 FAXANSWER(8)