Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get the return value and get the output to $results Post 302912169 by Corona688 on Wednesday 6th of August 2014 11:09:42 AM
Old 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanglei_fage
I want to get the eval $* 's return value
Your explanation is circular.

"What do you hope to achieve with eval $*?" "I hope to execute eval $*"

WHY do you want to execute eval $*? What chain of logic led you here? What problem led you here?

This is extremely ill-advised in nearly all circumstances. If you ever find yourself doing things like eval $* you can be fairly sure your programming took a wrong turn somewhere.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to output the results of the AT command - properly!

Hi, I am new to UNIX and I am more used to simple commands like those in VMS. One of them is the ability to get the output from a job using the /out=<file> command in VMS. I want to submit a job (a set of unix commands) using the AT command but to get the output in a file like that used in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SpanishPassion
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling C program from cron results in no output

I can call a C program from the shell and results are outputted as normal. The C program processes some files and spits out a .csv file. If I scheduled it in cron, there is no output. If their a special way to schedule C programs in cron? thanks & regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hazno
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cp output /dev/null results in not a directory

Hello, I am working on a script to measure the read performance of a busybox environment. The logical choice is to use a command line like: (time cp * /dev/null) 2> /tmp/howlong.txt Ah, the rub is cp or /dev/null will only accept a single file at a time. The result in the txt file is and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevesmo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backing out of a script if command doesn't return any results?

Hello I have a script which emails identifies the user ID of a user and sends them an email. A user can enter part of the name of the person he/wants to send the email to. Then I use the ypcat command to identify the UID of that person. The problem I'm having, is building in an error trap... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output results of multiple commands to a file

Hi I want to output the results of multiple commands to a single file. I use simple Ping, telnet commands to check the connectivity to many servers. Can i execute all the commands and write the output to a file instead of executing them one by one? Thanks Ashok (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert Data into db and return php results

This is a three step process: a) Upload date ->scrub\prep data, b) insert into db, c) return php results page. I have a question about the best practices for unix to process this. I have data from a flat file that I've scrubbed and cleaned with sed and awk. When it is complete I have an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why do these 2 find commands return different results?

Hi, I am using the korn shell on Solaris box. Why does the following 2 commands return different results? This command returns no results (I already used this command to create a list of files which I moved to an archive directory) find ????10??_*.dat -type f -mtime +91 However this... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpy1
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of AWK Results

In the following line The AWK statement parses through a listing for files and outputs the results using the {print} command to the screen. Is there a way to (a) send the output to a file and (b) actually perform a cp cmd to copy the listed files to another directory? ls | awk -va=$a -vb=$b... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdburg
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Always output 6 columns regardless of search results

If I am searching for AA then then BB in a loop, how do I make the output always contain 6 columns of comma separated data even when there may only be 4 search matches? AA11 AA12 AA13 AA14 BB11 BB12 BB13 BB14 BB15 BB16 Final output: AA11,AA12,AA13,AA14,,,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojojmac5
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting the results to different output files

Hi All, I am trying a shell script and need your help on taking the results to different output files. I have tried the below code: nawk ' {CNF = (length()-10)/7 printf "%9s", substr ($0, 1, 9) for (i=0; i<=CNF; i++) T = substr ($0, 10+i*7, 7) TMP = 100 - (T + T + T + T + T + T + T + T... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
24 Replies
PURITY(6)                                                          Games Manual                                                          PURITY(6)

NAME
purity - a general purpose purity test SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/purity [ flags ] [ testname ] DESCRIPTION
Purity is an interactive purity test program with a simple, user interface and datafile format. For each test, questions are printed to the your terminal, and you are prompted for an answer to the current question. At a prompt, these are your choices: y Answer "yes" to the question. n Answer "no" to the question. b Backup one question, if you answered it incorrectly, or someone is watching you take the test, and you don't (or do) want to admit a different answer. r Redraw the current question. q Quit the test, and print the current score. ? Print a help screen for the current prompt. k Kill a section of the test. This skips all the questions of the test until the next subject heading. a Toggle answer mode between real answers and obfuscated answers. Real answers print "yes" and "no", while obfuscated answers are "Maybe" and "maybe". Obfuscated answers are preferred if you are shy, and don't want people to be able to read your answers over your shoulder as you take the test. d Toggle dERanGe output. s Print your current score on the test you are taking. l Toggle score logging. At the end of the test, your score is printed out. For most purity tests, lower scores denote more "experience" of the test material. FLAGS
These are the command line flags for the test. -a Show real answers (i.e. "yes" and "no") instead of obfuscated ones (i.e. "Maybe" and "maybe") as you answer the questions. -d PrINt THe tESt in DerANgeD pRInT. -f Take the test in fast mode. Only the questions are printed, and not any other text blocks, like the introdution, subject headers, and the conclusion. -l Take the test without having your score logged. -p Print the test without prompting for answers. This is useful for making hard copies of the tests without having to edit out the prompts by hand. -r Decrypt the test using the Rot 13 algorithm. This is done as a form of "protection", such that if you read a rot13 test and it offends you, it's your own fault. -z zoom through more prompts in large text blocks. The default is to prompt the user for more when a screenful of text has been printed without any user input. DATAFILE FORMAT
The format of the datafiles is a very simple format, intended such that new tests can quickly and easily be converted to run with the test. There are four types of text in a purity test datafile. Each type is contained in a bracket type of punctuation. The definitions are as follows: the styles of text blocks are: { plain text block } [ subject header ] ( test question ) and < conclusion > Plain text blocks are printed out character for character. Subject headers are preceded by their subject numbers, starting at 1, and then printed as text blocks. Questions are preceded by their numbers, and then prompt the user to answer the question, keeping track of the user's current score. Conclusions first calculate and print the user's score for the test, then print out the conclusion as a text block. If you wish to include any of the various bracket punctuation in your text, the backslash ("") character will escape the next character. To print a question with parentheses, you would use the following format: (have you ever written a purity test (like this one)?) the output would be this: 1. have you ever written a purity test (like this one)? and then it would have asked the user for her/his answer. For a generic datafile, use the "sample" datafile for the test. FILES
/var/games/purity.scores the score logfile /usr/share/games/purity/* test data files AUTHOR
Eric Lechner, lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu 18 December 1989 PURITY(6)