Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get the return value and get the output to $results Post 302912169 by Corona688 on Wednesday 6th of August 2014 11:09:42 AM
Old 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanglei_fage
I want to get the eval $* 's return value
Your explanation is circular.

"What do you hope to achieve with eval $*?" "I hope to execute eval $*"

WHY do you want to execute eval $*? What chain of logic led you here? What problem led you here?

This is extremely ill-advised in nearly all circumstances. If you ever find yourself doing things like eval $* you can be fairly sure your programming took a wrong turn somewhere.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to output the results of the AT command - properly!

Hi, I am new to UNIX and I am more used to simple commands like those in VMS. One of them is the ability to get the output from a job using the /out=<file> command in VMS. I want to submit a job (a set of unix commands) using the AT command but to get the output in a file like that used in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SpanishPassion
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling C program from cron results in no output

I can call a C program from the shell and results are outputted as normal. The C program processes some files and spits out a .csv file. If I scheduled it in cron, there is no output. If their a special way to schedule C programs in cron? thanks & regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hazno
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cp output /dev/null results in not a directory

Hello, I am working on a script to measure the read performance of a busybox environment. The logical choice is to use a command line like: (time cp * /dev/null) 2> /tmp/howlong.txt Ah, the rub is cp or /dev/null will only accept a single file at a time. The result in the txt file is and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevesmo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backing out of a script if command doesn't return any results?

Hello I have a script which emails identifies the user ID of a user and sends them an email. A user can enter part of the name of the person he/wants to send the email to. Then I use the ypcat command to identify the UID of that person. The problem I'm having, is building in an error trap... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output results of multiple commands to a file

Hi I want to output the results of multiple commands to a single file. I use simple Ping, telnet commands to check the connectivity to many servers. Can i execute all the commands and write the output to a file instead of executing them one by one? Thanks Ashok (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert Data into db and return php results

This is a three step process: a) Upload date ->scrub\prep data, b) insert into db, c) return php results page. I have a question about the best practices for unix to process this. I have data from a flat file that I've scrubbed and cleaned with sed and awk. When it is complete I have an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why do these 2 find commands return different results?

Hi, I am using the korn shell on Solaris box. Why does the following 2 commands return different results? This command returns no results (I already used this command to create a list of files which I moved to an archive directory) find ????10??_*.dat -type f -mtime +91 However this... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpy1
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of AWK Results

In the following line The AWK statement parses through a listing for files and outputs the results using the {print} command to the screen. Is there a way to (a) send the output to a file and (b) actually perform a cp cmd to copy the listed files to another directory? ls | awk -va=$a -vb=$b... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdburg
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Always output 6 columns regardless of search results

If I am searching for AA then then BB in a loop, how do I make the output always contain 6 columns of comma separated data even when there may only be 4 search matches? AA11 AA12 AA13 AA14 BB11 BB12 BB13 BB14 BB15 BB16 Final output: AA11,AA12,AA13,AA14,,,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojojmac5
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting the results to different output files

Hi All, I am trying a shell script and need your help on taking the results to different output files. I have tried the below code: nawk ' {CNF = (length()-10)/7 printf "%9s", substr ($0, 1, 9) for (i=0; i<=CNF; i++) T = substr ($0, 10+i*7, 7) TMP = 100 - (T + T + T + T + T + T + T + T... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
24 Replies
EVAL(3) 								 1								   EVAL(3)

eval - Evaluate a string as PHP code

SYNOPSIS
mixed eval (string $code) DESCRIPTION
Evaluates the given $code as PHP. Caution The eval(3) language construct is very dangerous because it allows execution of arbitrary PHP code. Its use thus is discouraged. If you have carefully verified that there is no other option than to use this construct, pay special attention not to pass any user provided data into it without properly validating it beforehand. PARAMETERS
o $code - Valid PHP code to be evaluated. The code mustn't be wrapped in opening and closing PHP tags, i.e. 'echo "Hi!";' must be passed instead of '<? echo "Hi!"; >'. It is still possible to leave and reenter PHP mode though using the appropriate PHP tags, e.g. 'echo "In PHP mode!"; ?>In HTML mode!<? echo "Back in PHP mode!";'. Apart from that the passed code must be valid PHP. This includes that all statements must be properly terminated using a semicolon. 'echo "Hi!"' for example will cause a parse error, whereas 'echo "Hi!";' will work. A return statement will immediately terminate the evaluation of the code. The code will be exe- cuted in the scope of the code calling eval(3). Thus any variables defined or changed in the eval(3) call will remain visible after it terminates. RETURN VALUES
eval(3) returns NULL unless return is called in the evaluated code, in which case the value passed to return is returned. If there is a parse error in the evaluated code, eval(3) returns FALSE and execution of the following code continues normally. It is not possible to catch a parse error in eval(3) using set_error_handler(3). EXAMPLES
Example #1 eval(3) example - simple text merge <?php $string = 'cup'; $name = 'coffee'; $str = 'This is a $string with my $name in it.'; echo $str. " "; eval("$str = "$str";"); echo $str. " "; ?> The above example will output: This is a $string with my $name in it. This is a cup with my coffee in it. NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. Tip As with anything that outputs its result directly to the browser, the output-control functions can be used to capture the output of this function, and save it in a string (for example). Note In case of a fatal error in the evaluated code, the whole script exits. SEE ALSO
call_user_func(3). PHP Documentation Group EVAL(3)