Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem getting Nth match in sed Post 302912124 by RavinderSingh13 on Wednesday 6th of August 2014 05:43:30 AM
Old 08-06-2014
Hello,

Following may also help.

Code:
echo "<Wrap><GrayLevel>a</GrayLevel><GrayLevel>b</GrayLevel></Wrap>" | awk -F"[<>]" '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if($i ~ /^[a-z]$/) {print $i}}}'

Output will be as follows.

Code:
a
b

Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - delete all lines until a match on 2 lines

First of all, I know this can be more eassily done with perl or other scripting languages but, that's not the issue. I need this in sed. (or wander if it's possible ) I got a file (trace file to recreate the control file from oracle for the dba boys) which contains some lines another line... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: plelie2
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting filename for Nth line pattern match

Hi, I have many scripts in particular directory. And few of the scripts have exit 0 in second line. Now i wanted to list out the scripts name which has the exit 0 in its second line I tried many options , but i can not get the filename along with the nth line pattern match :mad:. Can anyone... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: puni
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern match problem

Hi all, hoping this is a simple one, tried looking but just can't see the solution As an example I've got a list of words that all start Ben..... Bendicks Benefiber Ben Benylin I need to only change the line Ben with Ben 10, ignoring the other lines. I tried the following ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrpugster
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding the nth match

I have a file that has information for a person....each person gets 3 or more lines to describe them. I was hoping to match person 1, then person 2.....BUT I do not know how to tell grep I only want the first (2nd, 3rd or nth) match. The alternative is doing line by line logic, which is fine... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: countryStyle
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search pattern and replace x-y characters in nth line after every match

Hi, I am looking for any script which can do the following. have to read a pattern from fileA and copy it to fileB. fileA: ... ... Header ... ... ..p1 ... ... fileB: .... .... Header (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilvk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem using sed to match a string

Hi There! I'm stuck with a problem trying to output some sections of a rss feed to my conky program using curl and sed. The rss feed is for tide times and I wish to output the times but not the rest to the conky desktop. To do this I need to pull out the four instances of times that are in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: huffpuff
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing nth and n+1th line after a pattern match

Hi , I want to print the nth and n+1 lines from a file once it gets a pattern match. For eg: aaa bbb ccc ddd gh jjjj If I find a match for bbb then I need to print bbb as well as 3rd and 4th line from the match.. Please help..Is it possible to get a command using sed :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saj
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display when nth line match a pattern?

Hi All, I have sample of listing as following Database 2 entry: Database alias = PXRES Database name = PXRES Local database directory = /db2/data1/db2phnx Database release level = d.00 Comment ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed : replace Nth match in a file

I have a situation where a file "config.txt" looks like this Servername: OS: Serername: OS: Servername: OS: .... .... ... Servername: OS: looking for the sed syntax to replace the "Nth" occurrence of Servername (i would apply the same logic to OS as well), want to replace the Nth... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alldbest
4 Replies

10. AIX

Print nth previous line after match

Please help me print nth line after match awk or sed one line command. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushma123
3 Replies
echo(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    echo(3XCURSES)

NAME
echo, noecho - enable/disable terminal echo SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int echo(void); int noecho(void); DESCRIPTION
The echo() function enables Echo mode for the current screen. The noecho() function disables Echo mode for the current screen. Initially, curses software echo mode is enabled and hardware echo mode of the tty driver is disabled. The echo() and noecho() functions control soft- ware echo only. Hardware echo must remain disabled for the duration of the application, else the behavior is undefined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getch(3XCURSES), getstr(3XCURSES), initscr(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), scanw(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jun 2002 echo(3XCURSES)