Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk question - print columns with names Post 302912091 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 5th of August 2014 06:49:38 PM
Old 08-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Code:
gawk 'NR==1{ # For the very first line ( NR is line number )
        for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) # Loop over all columns from 1 to NF (number of fields)
                if($i~/FE/)f[n++]=i # If the field contains NE, set F[n]=(field number).  n increments itself because of the ++.
                # I wonder if that line is supposed to be f[n++]=$i, to save the column itself.
        }
        { # For every line
                for(i=0;i<n;i++) # Loop from 0 to n, from the block above
                        printf "%s%s",i?" ":"",$f[i] # Print each column in array f in order.
                        # For the first column, print nothing before it.
                        # For every other column, print : first.
                        print "" # Print a blank line, just to put a newline at the end
        }'

Close. Comments below are related to the text marked in red above:
  1. "NE" should be "FE".
  2. No. F[n++]=i is correct. F[0] will be the field number of the 1st field with a header containing "FE"; F[1] will be the field number of the 2nd field with a header containing "FE", ... F[n-1] will be the field number of the nth field containing "FE". Since there is no next command associated with the NR==1 condition, the header for all fields containing "FE" will be printed by the next clause.
  3. The character printed before the 1st field output is an empty string; the output field separator output before other fields is a single <space> character.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cannot print the columns i want with awk.

hi friends! i have a script where a execute a veritas command, available_media wich retrieves me a list of tapes .lst then i execute cat /tmp/listtapes.lst | grep -v VL |sed '/^$/d'|awk -F, '{print $1, $3, $4, $9} ' > /tmp/media1.lst but it prints all the columns instead of the four... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to print some columns of a file

Hi, i have a file with content 00:01:20.613 'integer32' 459254 00:01:34.158 459556 00:01:36.626 'integer32' 459255 and i want to print only output as below 00:01:20.613 459254 00:01:34.158 459556 00:01:36.626 459255 i dont want the word 'integer32' which is the second column. i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dealerso
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing columns from awk '{ print $0 }'

I have a one-line command, lsusb | awk '{ $1=""; $2=""; $3=""; $4=""; $5=""; $6=""; print $0 }' It works, and gives the results I expect, I was just wondering if I am missing some easier way to nullify the first 6 column variables? Something like, lsusb | awk '{ $(1-6)=""; print $0 }' But... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlphaLexman
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: print columns depending on their number

hi guys, i have the following problem: i have a matrix with 3 columns and over 450 rows like this: 0.0165 0.0151 0.0230 0.0143 0.0153 0.0134 0.0135 0.0123 0.0195 0.0173 0.0153 0.0182 i now want to calculate the average of every line and divide every element of this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waddle
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print unique names in each row of a specific column using awk

Is it possible to remove redundant names in the 4th column? input cqWE 100 200 singapore;singapore AZO 300 400 brazil;america;germany;ireland;germany .... .... output cqWE 100 200 singapore AZO 300 400 brazil;america;germany;ireland (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print unique names in a specific column using awk

Is it possible to modify file like this. 1. Remove all the duplicate names in a define column i.e 4th col 2. Count the no.of unique names separated by ";" and print as a 5th col thanx in advance!! Q input c1 30 3 Eh2 c10 96 3 Frp c41 396 3 Ua5;Lop;Kol;Kol c62 2 30 Fmp;Fmp;Fmp ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: is it possible to print into multiple columns?

Hi guys, I have hundreds file like this, here I only show two of them: file 1 feco4_s_BB95.log ZE_1=-1717.5206260 feco4_t_BB95.log ZE_1=-1717.5169250 feco5_s_BB95.log ZE_1=-1830.9322060... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print columns which are not null

I am working on a file with several columns as below MO_NAME,FAULT_TYPE,CLASS,CODE1,CODE2,CODE3 RXOCF-101,BTS INTERNAL,FAULT CODES CLASS 2A,53,58 RXOCF-101,BTS INTERNAL,FAULT CODES CLASS 2B,24 RXOCF-101,BTS INTERNAL,FAULT CODES CLASS 2A,33 RXOCF-101,BTS INTERNAL,FAULT CODES CLASS 2D,57 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rizwan Rasul
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print columns and variable

Hi, Can anyone help with the below please? I have written some code which takes an input file, and and prints the contents out to a new file - it then loops round and prints the same columns, but increments the ID column by 1 each time. Input file; NAME,1,15-Dec-15, NAME,1,21-Dec-15,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ads89
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use "awk" to print columns from different files in separate columns?

Hi, I'm trying to copy and paste the sixth column from a bunch of files into a single file having each column pasted in separate columns (and not one after each other in just one column.) I tried this code but works only partially because it copied and pasted 50 rows of each column... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frastra
6 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)