Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Is UNIX an open source OS ?
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Is UNIX an open source OS ? Post 302911919 by Don Cragun on Monday 4th of August 2014 01:14:26 PM
Old 08-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreyan32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
There is also a standard for Linux systems (the Linux Standard Base AKA LSB), but the last I heard, no Linux system has ever conformed to any version of the LSB either.
Could you elaborate on this point further. I mean if no one conformed to a standard how on earth is that standard still surviving. And also why is it there ??
Politics and marketing.

(I would be happy to discuss this further in person, but this in not an appropriate forum to go into the details of my personal feelings and interpretation of the facts behind this topic.)

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open source antivirus

Hello What is the best open source anti virus? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohammadmahdi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open Source

Hi Friends I'm new to this UNIX - I'm working on the porting project from Solaris To Linux i just want to map some commands from solaris to Linux so can any one please tell me how to get the source code of the commands like "ls", "cu", "du" Regards sabee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabee.prakash
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

need open source KB software for UNIX

Anyone know of a good open source Knowledge Base software for UNIX that can connect to an Oracle back end? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJ45
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Open-source projects to learn concurrency-managed network programming in Unix?

Hi, I am a mid-career programmer with extensive experience in object-oriented design and development in C, C++, and C#. I've written a number of multi-threaded server applications and background services, although my grasp of networking protocols is a bit weak: my current job drifted away from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTaoOfPhil
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX/Linux inventory - Open Source

Hello guys, I need an open source tool that can list all the softwares installed in my unix/linux servers, the tool should list all the softwares installed and the current version, grouped by the hostname, anybody know any solution for this specific problem? Thanks guys, have a good day! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: denisloide
7 Replies
lsb_release(1)						      General Commands Manual						    lsb_release(1)

NAME
lsb_release - print distribution-specific information SYNOPSIS
lsb_release [options] DESCRIPTION
The lsb_release command provides certain LSB (Linux Standard Base) and distribution-specific information. If no options are given, the -v option is assumed. OPTIONS
The program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`--'). A summary of options are included below. -v, --version Show the version of the LSB against which your current installation is compliant. The version is expressed as a colon separated list of LSB module descriptions. -i, --id Display the distributor's ID. -d, --description Display a description of the currently installed distribution. -r, --release Display the release number of the currently installed distribution. -c, --codename Display the code name of the currently installed distribution. -a, --all Display all of the above information. -s, --short Use the short output format for any information displayed. This format omits the leading header(s). -h, --help Show summary of options. NOTES
This is a reimplementation of the lsb_release command provided by the Free Standards Group. Any bugs are solely the responsibility of the author below. Detection of systems using a mix of packages from various distributions or releases is something of a black art; the current heuristic tends to assume that the installation is of the earliest distribution which is still being used by apt but that heuristic is subject to error. SEE ALSO
lsb(8) AUTHOR
Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org>. lsb_release(1)