Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Serial Lines Explained
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Serial Lines Explained Post 302911904 by sreyan32 on Monday 4th of August 2014 10:50:23 AM
Old 08-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Serial ports in UNIX are a complicated topic. Sure, if you want.
Thanks a lot first of all Corona688 for being extremely patient with all my queries and answer them as simply as possible. Now I am thinking of starting a new thread about Serial ports, but before that I am asking for some reading material on serial ports and terminal devices. So that when I come back to ask my doubts here they don't need to be quite so noobish and obvious questions.

Any links to some study materials for beginners for this topic would really help. Also if anyone can suggest a good book which contains material on this topic will also be nice.

I am asking here because googling on the topic didn't give me any concrete starting point.

Serial ports maybe complex but I am already interested in how they work Smilie. First time coming across a design where a terminal communicates to the kernel through a COM port.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: You should indeed start a new thread with this. We try to confine each question/theme to a separate thread so that the knowledge base we are building is easier and better to search for information. I will cut this part out and open a new thread with it.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: The rest of the post snipped here because it belongs to the other thread.

Last edited by bakunin; 08-04-2014 at 12:17 PM..

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Ubuntu

Ubuntu 9.04 Serial application to telnet to serial device

Hello! I am working on an application which reads environmental instruments which have serial ports. The application requires a serial port to be present to talk to the device (i.e. /dev/ttyS0 ). In some instances the environmental devices will be 100's of yards away from the computer, so a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvona
5 Replies