Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To check timestamp in logfile and display lines upto 3 hours before current timestamp Post 302911349 by Don Cragun on Thursday 31st of July 2014 09:31:49 AM
Old 07-31-2014
If I'm reading MadeInGermany's code correctly, it is comparing YY/DD/MM HH:MM:SS instead of YY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS and is printing the more than 3 hours ago timestamps instead of the less than 3 hours old timestamps. As long as we're constructing strings to compare, I don't see the need to include the slashes in the dates and I'm also assuming that the minutes and seconds do have 2 digits with zero fill so I don't have to split the time fields (I just have to use leading 0 to fill an 8 character field to supply missing leading zeroes in the hour). And, I used FS instead of sub() and split() to split the date field.

I think RudiC left out a %S in the date format string, but on a 3 hour window, a difference of up to one minute might not be noticeable in the results.

I think this does what was requested (on systems where the date utility supports this form of -d option processing):
Code:
awk -v d="$(date "+%y%m%d%T" -d "3 hours ago")" -F '[[/ ]' '
/Exception/ {
        if(sprintf("%02d%02d%02d%08s", $4, $2, $3, $5) > d)
		printf("%s/%s/%s %s\n", $2, $3, $4, $5)
}' trial.txt

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare current time to timestamp on a file

I'm trying to compare 2 dates between current time and the timestamp on a file. The date format is mmdd Both return Apr 1 but when using if statement line 11: Apr 1: command not found error is returned #!/bin/sh log="DateLog" Current_Date=`date +%b%e` Filepmdate=`ls -l /file.txt |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cillmor
1 Replies

2. AIX

Change specific (not current) date to timestamp

Hello to all. I work at AIX system without perl installed and I am restricted user, so I am limited to bash. In script that I am writing, I have to read line from file and transform date that I found inside to Unix timestamp. Line in file look something like this: Tue Mar 29 06:59:00... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hyperborejac
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to retrieve the current timestamp?

I am doing this in my script .. currenttimestamp=`db2 "select current timestamp from SYSIBM.SYSDUMMY1 with ur"` echo s $currenttimestamp but this is how its shows s 1 -------------------------- 2011-04-18-12.43.25.345071 1 record(s) selected. How can I just get the timestamp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitr
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare a file by its timestamp and store in a different location whenever timestamp changes?

Hi All, I am new to unix programming. I am trying for a requirement and the requirement goes like this..... I have a test folder. Which tracks log files. After certain time, the log file is getting overwritten by another file (randomly as the time interval is not periodic). I need to preserve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsara
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a date field has date or timestamp or date&timestamp

Hi, In a field, I should receive the date with time stamp in a particular field. But sometimes the vendor sends just the date or the timestamp or correctl the date&timestamp. I have to figure out the the data is a date or time stamp or date&timestamp. If it is date then append "<space>00:00:00"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check/Parse log file's lines using time difference/timestamp

I was looking at this script which outputs the two lines which differs less than one sec. #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; use Time::Local; use constant SEC_MILIC => 1000; my $file='infile'; ## Open for reading argument file. open my $fh, "<", $file or die "Cannot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cele_82
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Comparing the timestamp of the file to current time

I have a file like this -rwxr-xr-x 1 rewq other 168 Jan 13 07:05 check_files.sh I want to compare (check_files.sh time) with the current time to see if its is older than 2 hours or not if it is not older than 2 hrs then do something.can someone help me on this?.I dont... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: haadiya
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX : Need to convert UNIX Timestamp to normal timestamp

Hello , I am working on AIX. I have to convert Unix timestamp to normal timestamp. Below is the file. The Unix timestamp will always be preceded by EFFECTIVE_TIME as first field as shown and there could be multiple EFFECTIVE_TIME in the file : 3.txt Contents of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display lines between timestamp

Hi Gurus, I have a software which logs event in the log file and it has become to big to search into it. I want to display all the lines from the log files between <Jul 21, 2016 3:30:37 PM BST> to <Jul 21, 2016 3:45:37 PM BST> that is 15 min data . Please help Use code tags, thanks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines between last hour timestamp and current timestamp

So basically I have a log file and each line in this log file starts with a timestamp: MON DD HH:MM:SS SEP 15 07:30:01 I need to grep all the lines between last hour timestamp and current timestamp. Then these lines will be moved to a tmp file from which I will grep for particular strings. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
LOGFILE(1)							       mrtg								LOGFILE(1)

NAME
logfile - description of the mrtg-2 logfile format SYNOPSIS
This document provides a description of the contents of the mrtg-2 logfile. OVERVIEW
The logfile consists of two main sections. A very short one at the beginning: The first Line It stores the traffic counters from the most recent run of mrtg The rest of the File Stores past traffic rate averates and maxima at increassing intervals The first number on each line is a unix time stamp. It represents the number of seconds since 1970. DETAILS
The first Line The first line has 3 numbers which are: A (1st column) A timestamp of when MRTG last ran for this interface. The timestamp is the number of non-skip seconds passed since the standard UNIX "epoch" of midnight on 1st of January 1970 GMT. B (2nd column) The "incoming bytes counter" value. C (3rd column) The "outgoing bytes counter" value. The rest of the File The second and remaining lines of the file 5 numbers which are: A (1st column) The Unix timestamp for the point in time the data on this line is relevant. Note that the interval between timestamps increases as you prograss through the file. At first it is 5 minutes and at the end it is one day between two lines. This timestamp may be converted in EXCEL by using the following formula: =(x+y)/86400+DATE(1970,1,1) you can also ask perl to help by typing perl -e 'print scalar localtime(x)," "' x is the unix timestamp and y is the offset in seconds from UTC. (Perl knows y). B (2nd column) The average incoming transfer rate in bytes per second. This is valid for the time between the A value of the current line and the A value of the previous line. C (3rd column) The average outgoing transfer rate in bytes per second since the previous measurement. D (4th column) The maximum incoming transfer rate in bytes per second for the current interval. This is calculated from all the updates which have occured in the current interval. If the current interval is 1 hour, and updates have occured every 5 minutes, it will be the biggest 5 minute transferrate seen during the hour. E (5th column) The maximum outgoing transfer rate in bytes per second for the current interval. AUTHOR
Butch Kemper <kemper@bihs.net> and Tobias Oetiker <oetiker@ee.ethz.ch> 3rd Berkeley Distribution 2.9.17 LOGFILE(1)