Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Is UNIX an open source OS ?
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Is UNIX an open source OS ? Post 302911211 by sreyan32 on Wednesday 30th of July 2014 02:04:59 PM
Old 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
The terminal device is a serial port -- either a real, physical serial port, or an emulated one(i.e, a vterm). Any proper terminal in UNIX, even a graphical one, will use one.

This is because UNIX serial devices come with lots and lots and lots of built-in software features. Have you ever hit ctrl-C to kill a stuck program? The serial port, even an emulated one in a GUI, does that directly. It has a "send SIGINT when you hit this key" setting.
I am sorry for being blunt first of all. But what you said makes absolutely no sense to me. Why would a terminal need a serial port to function ? Also I have used the terminal in both Debian and Fedora distributions. I have never made any connection to any serial port before using them !
Why would I need to do so ? OSes like Windows also offer ctrl+c combination to kill the program(not that I like comparing Windows and UNIX I am just trying to get my point across). And what do you mean by it does that directly ? How can a serial port send signals to the CPU ?

I am sorry but I don't understand what you are saying probably because I am starting out with UNIX. Do you think I should post a separate thread about this topic dealing with serial ports and terminal devices ? Because its getting off topic here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Imagine you're running out of space on drive C in Windows, and add another hard drive to deal with it. Now you have a drive D with lots of space -- which is no help at all since C is where you need it.

In UNIX, you could attach the new drive's partitions wherever you wanted -- /home/ for example, if that particular folder is very big.
If I am not mistaken you mean that you can move around partitions right ? For example I can unmount the /home partition and put it in a different hard disk all together and use it from there right ?
But then why would you call it "partition nesting" ? because that sounds a partition within another partition.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open source antivirus

Hello What is the best open source anti virus? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohammadmahdi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open Source

Hi Friends I'm new to this UNIX - I'm working on the porting project from Solaris To Linux i just want to map some commands from solaris to Linux so can any one please tell me how to get the source code of the commands like "ls", "cu", "du" Regards sabee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabee.prakash
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

need open source KB software for UNIX

Anyone know of a good open source Knowledge Base software for UNIX that can connect to an Oracle back end? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJ45
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Open-source projects to learn concurrency-managed network programming in Unix?

Hi, I am a mid-career programmer with extensive experience in object-oriented design and development in C, C++, and C#. I've written a number of multi-threaded server applications and background services, although my grasp of networking protocols is a bit weak: my current job drifted away from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTaoOfPhil
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX/Linux inventory - Open Source

Hello guys, I need an open source tool that can list all the softwares installed in my unix/linux servers, the tool should list all the softwares installed and the current version, grouped by the hostname, anybody know any solution for this specific problem? Thanks guys, have a good day! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: denisloide
7 Replies
mdc(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    mdc(4)

Name
       mdc - DS5100 serial line driver

Syntax
       device	 mdc0	  at ibus?     vector mdcintr
       device	 mdc1	  at ibus?     vector mdcintr
       device	 mdc2	  at ibus?     vector mdcintr

Description
       A  DS5100 base system (mdc0) provides four asynchronous ports.  An optional asynchronous card (mdc1 and mdc2 ) can be added to supply eight
       additional ports.

The mdc ports are used as follows:

Port    Usage			  Connector

0       Console port		  6-pin MMJ on CPU board
       1       Local terminal		  6-pin MMJ on CPU board
       2       Full modem control port	  25-pin D-Sub on CPU board
       3       Local terminal		  6-pin MMJ on CPU board

An optional asynchronous board provides an additional eight lines:

4       Local terminal		  6-pin MMJ
       5       Local terminal		  6-pin MMJ
       6       Full modem control port	  25-pin D-Sub
       7       Local terminal		  6-pin MMJ
       8       Local terminal		  6-pin MMJ
       9       Local terminal		  6-pin MMJ
       10      Local terminal		  6-pin MMJ
       11      Local terminal		  6-pin MMJ

The console baud rate is set to 9600 baud by default.  You can change this by setting the baud environment variable  from  console  prompt.
       Each  communication  port  from	the  serial  line controller behaves as described in the reference page and can be set to run at any of 16
       speeds.	For the encoding, see

You can establish the state of port 2 (port 6) by specifying either modem or nomodem as part of the file entry.

Restrictions
       The speed default is to 9600 baud on the console port.  The console device must be set for 8-bit character length with one stop bit and	no
       parity. The driver enforces these restrictions; that is, changing speeds with the command may not always work on console ports.

Files
       Console terminal

Full modem control or local terminal

See Also
       console(4), devio(4), tty(4), ttys(5), MAKEDEV(8)

RISC								    mdc(4)