Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Ping domain indicates the external ip address and not the local ip Post 302911122 by activedms on Wednesday 30th of July 2014 09:04:36 AM
Old 07-30-2014
traceroute doaminname gives local address as expected!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Problem sending mail to an external domain

On one of our AIX servers, I'm having problems sending email to an external domain. I'm not a SYSADM and not sure how to troubleshoot this issue. Any help will be greatly appreciated. The following mail components are installed on the server $ lslpp -l bos.mh Fileset ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: voorkey
2 Replies

2. Solaris

unable to ping a host in another domain

Hello I have a server in it.siroe.com I added it.siroe.com in /etc/resolv.conf. I still can't ping the server. any service to restart here? any other file to edit? thx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

Unable to ping freebsd machine using fully qualified domain name

hi all. am unable to ping a freebsd machine using fully qualified domain name from a windows machine. i have already set the fqdn for the machine. plz advise me. thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies

4. Linux

Configuring dns in local domain

Hi everybody, for revolving local host name of my network, I set up an dns server to solve my problem, but til now, nothing happen when I ping a hostname, but work on IP. Can you help me to correct the configuration. Here is all my settings: Voici mes fichiers de configuration: -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beloge2002
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scp from local to external directory

Hi, I am trying to copy a whole directory from my home /RUN1 to the external directory jorgensen@hal.oerc.ox.ac.uk:/home/compchem/jorgensen/simulations The command I have used is: scp -r jorgensen@hal.oerc.ox.ac.uk:/home/compchem/jorgensen/simulations The error message I get is: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
5 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

mailx to external email address

Hi, How can I use "mailx" command to send message to an email address like this? echo "This email body" | mailx -s "my subject" "email@hostname.com" There may be some setup required in sendmail or postfix?? OS = Snow Leopard 10.6 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FlyingSquirrel
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

External IP Address of Linux Server

Hi, I am trying to find the external IP address of a server "XXX". I logged into server "XXX" and executed nslookup XXX. output number is 123.23.23.45 Later, i have executed "curl http://whatismyip.org". This time i got a different number 611.34.63.22 Out of these two numbers, what number... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forums123456
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

PING to get ip address

I want to print the domain:ip for a list of domains in a text file. the problem is godaddy has blocked the domains so the result of a ping is like this: PING domain.com (68.178.232.99): 56 data bytes --- domain.com ping statistics --- 1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0%... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BIND9 CNAME to External Domain

We're moving an app from a server in our domain to a server hosted by the vendor in their domain. This app had it's own domain setup that we're authoritative for. Do I need to create a new zone file? zone-vendor_com and set up the CNAME records in this file? Or if I can just edit the one I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joeaverage
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with accessing Samba shares on external (NON-DOMAIN) webserver(s)

Hi all, You may have seen my recent topic, where I asked for help getting some samba shares to work on our network. Now that these are working, I move on to the next hurdle! We have a few externally hosted (Windows Server 2008 R2) web servers which are not on our domain, but can still... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgreen81
0 Replies
ypset(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  ypset(8)

NAME
ypset - bind ypbind to a particular NIS server SYNOPSYS
ypset [ -d domain ] [ -h hostname ] server DESCRIPTION
In order to run ypset, ypbind must be initiated with the -ypset or -ypsetme options. See ypbind(8). ypset tells ypbind to get NIS ser- vices for the specified domain from the ypserv(8) process running on server. In cases where several hosts on the local net are supplying NIS services, it is possible for ypbind to rebind to another host even while you attempt to find out if the ypset operation succeeded. For example, you can type: example% ypset host1 example% ypwhich host2 which can be confusing. This is a function of the NIS subsystem's attempt to know always a running NIS server, and occurs when host1 does not respond to ypbind because it is not running ypserv (or is overloaded), and host2, running ypserv, gets the binding. Server indicates the NIS server to bind to, and must be specified as a name or an IP address. This will work only if the node has a cur- rent valid binding for the domain in question, and ypbind has been set to allow use of ypset. In most cases, server should be specified as an IP address. OPTIONS
-d domain Specify a domain other than the default domain as returned by domainname(1). -h hostname Set the NIS binding on host hostname instead of the local machine. SEE ALSO
domainname(8), ypbind(8), ypcat(8), ypmatch(1), ypserv(8), yppoll(8), ypwhich(1) AUTHOR
ypset is part of the yp-tools package, which was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de>. YP Tools 2.9 May 1998 ypset(8)