Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: VXVM in POWERHA 6.1
Operating Systems AIX VXVM in POWERHA 6.1 Post 302910967 by bakunin on Tuesday 29th of July 2014 10:41:44 AM
Old 07-29-2014
HACMP does not deal with disks (disk devices), it only deals with volume groups. Basically, a "resource group" in HACMP is:

- a bundle of filesystems, organized in certain volume groups
- a number of processes to be started/stopped
- an (several) IP addresses to serve up data/services

When a resource group starts: the VGs are activated (varyonvg), the respective filesystems are mounted, the processes are started (via start-scripts) and the IP-address is activated on some interface.

When the resource group stops this process is reversed: the IP address is deleted from the interface, the processes are stopped (via stop-scripts) and the filesystems are unmounted, then the VGs are deactivated.

How and from what devices these VGs are built is transparent for HACMP. The only requirement is that HACMP is able to activate the VGs from every cluster node.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

strange route issue in powerha 5.4?

hi all we upgraded hacmp(powerha) from 5.2 to 5.4 recently . during the failover testing, we found a strange network issue. after standby node took service ip address (172.15.100.8) online at standby NIC, we were able to log in the standby node by telnet 172.15.100.8 which stays at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rs6000er
1 Replies

2. AIX

PowerHA - assistant can't find network

I've configured multiple clusters using PowerHA 5.5, but never using the 'Two-node cluster configuration assistant'. I removed all the clusters, clean setup, and gave the assistant a try. I've filled in all the necessary options: Communication Path to Takeover Node Application Server ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Koen87
11 Replies

3. AIX

PowerHA, same subnet for persistent and service ip

I am new in AIX and please forgive my poor english. I know that AIX allow same subnet IPs for different interfaces, which result in multipath routing / route striping. My question is, is there any best practice for the persistent and service IP with same subnet to stay on same interface, or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skeyeung
5 Replies

4. AIX

PowerHA Disk on VIO Server

Hello AIX GURU's Can anybody tell me the steps to crate shared VG (enhanced concurent) for my Lpars from VIO server? my questions are: 1. Should I crate Enhanced Concurent VG in VIO and map it using virtual Scsi to Lpar? or 2. Can I just create virtual SCSI in VIO and map to Lpar and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
1 Replies

5. AIX

PowerHA with 3rd node for communication

Looking to find PowerHA with 3rd node used for communication (voting node) only. Does anyone use such configuration with IBM products? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogogo
2 Replies

6. AIX

PowerHA HACMP on VIOS servers

Few questions regarding Power HA ( previously known as HACMP) and VIOS POWERVM IVM ( IBM Virtualization I/O Server ) Is it possible to create HACMP cluster between two VIOS servers Physical Machine_1 VIOS_SERVER_1 LPAR_1 SHARED_DISK_XX VIOS_SERVER_2 Physical Machine_2 LPAR_2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
6 Replies

7. AIX

Powerha on AIX 6.1.9

hello ive installed powerha 7.1.3 on two servers aix 6.1.9 6100-09-03-1415 work with dmx4 EMC storgae. after sync cluster ( terminate with OK ) ive see that the repository disk upper only in one machine : hdiskpower60 00c7f6b59fc60d9d caavg_private active... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ariec
1 Replies

8. AIX

PowerHA; Import flash copy of VG?

Hey guys, wondering if this is possible to accomplish. PowerHA SystemMirror7.1 active/passive cluster. Restored a clustered system in test and upgraded to the latest version of PowerHA. Things are working great. However in the interest of time during cut over to the new system, I was hoping to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_aix
4 Replies

9. AIX

PowerHa 7.1 Migration check failed

Hello Guys, I was trying to upgrade the PowerHA from 6.1.0.9 to 7.1.3 in prod cluster. Have snapshot migration and run climgcheck. 1. Run climgcheck on node1(kul1pqcmur01) and it success 2. Upgrade the cluster sw 3. Run climgcheck on node2(kul1pqcmur02) and it failed with below errors ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: novaothers
6 Replies

10. AIX

Upgrading PowerHA from 7.1.0 to 7.1.3

Hi All, As per the IBM upgrade/support matrix IBM Techdocs Technote: PowerHA for AIX Version Compatibility Matrix we can't do online upgrade or rolling migration from powerha v7.1.0 to v7.1.3. on AIX61_TL9_SP4, So we are following the steps as below ... 1 ) Bring down the cluster 2 )... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux.amrit
2 Replies
vxinstall(1M)															     vxinstall(1M)

NAME
vxinstall - menu-driven Veritas Volume Manager initial configuration procedure SYNOPSIS
vxinstall DESCRIPTION
The vxinstall utility provides a menu driven interface to configure Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM). If you install the Veritas Volume Man- ager software package using the operating system's package administration commands, you can run vxinstall to configure VxVM for initial use on your system. Note: If you use the Veritas software installation scripts, do not run this utility. OPERATIONS
Licensing vxinstall first asks if you want to view the Veritas licenses already installed on the system. Answering "yes" is equivalent to exe- cuting the vxlicrep command (see vxlicrep(1)). You are then asked if you want to add licenses for other Veritas products. Answering "yes" is equivalent to running the vxlicinst command (see vxlicinst(1)). and entering a license key. Enclosure-Based Naming You can choose whether you want to use disk access names that are based on the device names assigned by the operating system, or that are based on names that you assign to enclosures. System-Wide Default Disk Group You can enter the name for the default disk group (defaultdg). This is an alias for the disk group name that should be assumed if the -g option is not specified to a command, or if the VXVM_DEFAULTDG environment variable is undefined. By default, defaultdg is set to nodg (that is, no disk group). NOTES
From release 4.0 of VxVM, it is no longer necessary to run vxinstall to configure the rootdg disk group. Disks and disk groups may be added to VxVM by running commands such as vxdiskadm(1M) or by using the graphical user interface without first running vxinstall. The operation of VxVM does not require any disk groups to have been configured, and a disk group named rootdg does not need to be present on the system. Any disk group may be configured as the default disk group that is to be used with VxVM commands. Any disk group named rootdg has no special significance to VxVM. See the vxdg(1M) manual page for further details. SEE ALSO
vxdctl(1M), vxdg(1M), vxdiskadm(1M), vxintro(1M), vxlicinst(1), vxlicrep(1) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxinstall(1M)