Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Logging the memory consumed by a process with c/C++ without using proc Post 302910799 by achenle on Monday 28th of July 2014 09:57:01 AM
Old 07-28-2014
Write your own kernel modules to duplicate the functionality of the /proc file system?

Because the /proc file system is designed to be the interface used to get such data. It's how utilities like "ps" get data, and even debuggers use the /proc file system as an interface into the processes they're being used to debug.

So you can't even use "ps" or a debugger to get that information without using the /proc file system.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

1. To know the Memory consumed by a process at a time

hello I am new to the UNIX I want to know what command is used 1.To know the Memory consumed by a process at a time . 2.To know the How many CPU's in a server. 3.To know the RAM size. 4.To know the Hard Disk size. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maheshkoushik
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

the amount of memory consumed per user

Hi, under UNIX AIX how determine the amount of memory consumed per user ? Many thanks before. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

3. Programming

serializing logging output mult. proc. inst deamon

Hello, i have an interresting topic today C++ on solaris. lgpl stuff applicable. My program is a deamon process wich takes input from network, then processes the data, and outputs reformatted to network. We're generating a lot of logging output. the logging is absolutely unbuffered at the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heck
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Order process by consumed memory

Hi! I am new to HP-UX. :o By using the command glance, I found the user memory usage was very high. I would like to know is there any command can show the process which consume most available memory ? (Just like the command top, but order by memory, not CPU) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alfredo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Most time consumed process

Hi All, I have a simple question on unix command. Here, I need to find the most time consumed process running at present in my HP -UX server. Though it is possible through top command but to redirect the output I want the same done through some command like ps -aef. Also I need the user who... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejith_VK
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I obtain the consumed memory of a process?

Hi!!! how can I obtain the consumed memory of a process? nowadays i'm using ps -efo pid, pmem, comm,args .... but the information is in percentage, is that correct? so, i want to know how can obtain the consumed memory of a process in mb? thanks in advance! Richard (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcrutz_18
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

does the pid of background process show in /proc?

Hi all, I'm reading <advanced bash scripting> and there is a example to kill a background process in a limited time,as shown below: #! /bin/bash #set -n TIMEOUT=$1 count=0 hanging_jobs & { while ((count < TIMEOUT));do eval ' && ((count = TIMEOUT))' ((count++)) sleep 1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for logging cpu and memory usage of a Linux process

I am looking for a way to log and graphically display cpu and RAM usage of linux processes over time. Since I couldn't find a simple tool to so (I tried zabbix and munin but installation failed) I started writing a shell script to do so The script file parses the output of top command through... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy_dufresne
2 Replies

9. AIX

Process, PID and total memory consumed on AIX.

Hi, Below is the code snippet I use on Linux (Centos) to retrieve the Process Name, PID and memory consumed on Linux (Centos) host:- top -b -n 1 | awk -v date="$tdydate" -v ip="$ip" 'NR>7 {print date","ip","$12,","$1,","$10}' Any idea how the same can be retrieved on an AIX host? This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vipin Batra
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to check memory used or consumed by OS kernel

I am trying to check how much memory is consumed by OS Kernel using below command, Is this the correct command that I'm using grep Slab /proc/meminfo Output : Slab: 3106824 kB IF I convert KB to GB, It means 2.9 GB of RAM is consumed Below details for reference ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
4 Replies
LSDEV(8)							Linux System Manual							  LSDEV(8)

NAME
lsdev - display information about installed hardware SYNOPSIS
lsdev DESCRIPTION
lsdev gathers information about your computer's installed hardware from the interrupts, ioports and dma files in the /proc directory, thus giving you a quick overview of which hardware uses what I/O addresses and what IRQ and DMA channels. OPTIONS
None. FILES
/proc/interrupts IRQ channels. /proc/ioports I/O memory addresses. /proc/dma DMA channels. BUGS
lsdev can't always figure out which lines in the three examined files refer to one and the same device, because these files sometimes use different names for the same piece of hardware. For example, in some kernels the keyboard is referred to as `kbd' in /proc/ioports and as `keyboard' in /proc/interrupts. This should be fixed in the kernel, not in lsdev (as has indeed happened for this particular example). The program does however try to match lines by stripping anything after a space or open parenthesis from the name, so that e.g. the `serial' lines from /proc/interrupts match the `serial(set)' lines from /proc/ioports. This attempt at DWIM might be considered a bug in itself. This program only shows the kernel's idea of what hardware is present, not what's actually physically available. SEE ALSO
procinfo(8). AUTHOR
Sander van Malssen <svm@kozmix.cistron.nl> 3rd Release 1998-05-31 LSDEV(8)