Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Fscanf to get number and replace. Post 302910772 by bigearsbilly on Monday 28th of July 2014 05:26:41 AM
Old 07-28-2014
What you say does not make sense.
If you specify a space in the format multiple white space is skipped:

fscanf

"A directive composed of one or more white-space characters is executed by reading input until no more valid input can be read, or up to the first byte which is not a white-space character which remains unread."

Bare scanf is not a great idea, use fgets and sscanf:

something like:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

typedef char buffer[128];

char * chomp(char * line)
{
    char **p = &line;
    strsep(p, "\r\n");
    return line;
}

int main( int argc, char **argv )
{
    buffer      in, out;
    int number;

while ( fgets(in, sizeof in, stdin) ) {
        chomp(in);
        sscanf(in, "%s %d\n", out, &number); 
        printf("%s = %s %d\n", in, out, number);
    }

return 0;
}

Last edited by bigearsbilly; 07-28-2014 at 06:33 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

fscanf()

thanks to everyone for your earlier replies, but i have yet another problem with file i/o. i'm trying to read multiple lines with the same file, and have been using the following code to take in the first two lines from a file... fscanf(fileptr, "%d %d %d %d %d %d\n", &n1, &n2, &n3, &n4, &n5,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: j_t_kim
1 Replies

2. Programming

fscanf()

I keep trying to use fscanf() and for some reason I can't get the syntax down and always get seg faults. I'm on a SunOS 5.5.1, and my current code looks like this: int n1, n2, n3, n4, n5, n6; /* open config file */ if (fileptr = fopen(filename,"r") == NULL) { printf("couldn't open... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_t_kim
3 Replies

3. Programming

fscanf

Hi, Can any one tell me what "%hx" as control parameter mean in fscanf. Thanks, abey (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abey
4 Replies

4. Programming

read a file wich fscanf() in a function

I use fopen, fscanf, fclose to read a file. It can work well. since many files should be read, a function is created with the same code. But in the function, fscanf can not work well. for example, the first line of the the file is: > filename but the fscanf will give: 207/23/eee/34 it appears... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdbug
2 Replies

5. Programming

C, using fscanf

hey guys, I'm working on a term project for a c/unix class. The basis of the program is that it will calculate the weight/balance of a plane. I'm hoping to have an input file as such: " Pilot weight: Passenger weight: baggage wieght: etc " and the idea is that I'm trying to use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jlangholzj
2 Replies

6. Programming

fscanf: read words from file

Hi I have a file like that: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 and I want print on stdout: 1 3 8 in other words i want choose what print out. I was thinking to use fscanf as: fscanf(file_in,"%d %d %d",&a, &b,&c); but in this way i get: 1 2 3 Is there a solution using fscanf to obtain my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace number of string length from search and replace for a serialized array

Hello, I really would appreciate some help with a bash script for some string manipulation on an SQL dump: I'd like to be able to rename "sites/WHATEVER/files" to "sites/SOMETHINGELSE/files" within the sql dump. This is quite easy with sed: sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: otrotipo
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how fscanf every two data

hi there... i have a question regarding the fscanf function... let's say i have a data: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 how do i read only the first COLUMN, or the second COLUMN or the third COLUMN or etc....?????? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: theunknown
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DB2: Replace Number Value

Hi In the below query userreg.status returns a value of 1 (Active) or -1 (Non Active). Ideally, I would like to replace this automatically on the export so instead of getting 1 or -1 I get Active / Non Active. Any help, as usual, would be greatly apprecited. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: theref
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first number of each line in a file with another number

Hi, I have a set of files in a directory that I have to read and replace the first occurrence of a number with another dummy number. This is what I have so far but it does not seem to work. The files have lot of other data in each row and each data element is separated by ,@, for file in... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpioraghu
13 Replies
SCANF(3S)																 SCANF(3S)

NAME
scanf, fscanf, sscanf - formatted input conversion SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> scanf(format [ , pointer ] . . . ) char *format; fscanf(stream, format [ , pointer ] . . . ) FILE *stream; char *format; sscanf(s, format [ , pointer ] . . . ) char *s, *format; DESCRIPTION
Scanf reads from the standard input stream stdin. Fscanf reads from the named input stream. Sscanf reads from the character string s. Each function reads characters, interprets them according to a format, and stores the results in its arguments. Each expects as arguments a control string format, described below, and a set of pointer arguments indicating where the converted input should be stored. The control string usually contains conversion specifications, which are used to direct interpretation of input sequences. The control string may contain: 1. Blanks, tabs or newlines, which match optional white space in the input. 2. An ordinary character (not %) which must match the next character of the input stream. 3. Conversion specifications, consisting of the character %, an optional assignment suppressing character *, an optional numerical maximum field width, and a conversion character. A conversion specification directs the conversion of the next input field; the result is placed in the variable pointed to by the corre- sponding argument, unless assignment suppression was indicated by *. An input field is defined as a string of non-space characters; it extends to the next inappropriate character or until the field width, if specified, is exhausted. The conversion character indicates the interpretation of the input field; the corresponding pointer argument must usually be of a restricted type. The following conversion characters are legal: % a single `%' is expected in the input at this point; no assignment is done. d a decimal integer is expected; the corresponding argument should be an integer pointer. o an octal integer is expected; the corresponding argument should be a integer pointer. x a hexadecimal integer is expected; the corresponding argument should be an integer pointer. s a character string is expected; the corresponding argument should be a character pointer pointing to an array of characters large enough to accept the string and a terminating `', which will be added. The input field is terminated by a space character or a new- line. c a character is expected; the corresponding argument should be a character pointer. The normal skip over space characters is suppressed in this case; to read the next non-space character, try `%1s'. If a field width is given, the corresponding argument should refer to a character array, and the indicated number of characters is read. e a floating point number is expected; the next field is converted accordingly and stored through the corresponding argument, which f should be a pointer to a float. The input format for floating point numbers is an optionally signed string of digits possibly contain- ing a decimal point, followed by an optional exponent field consisting of an E or e followed by an optionally signed integer. [ indicates a string not to be delimited by space characters. The left bracket is followed by a set of characters and a right bracket; the characters between the brackets define a set of characters making up the string. If the first character is not circumflex (^), the input field is all characters until the first character not in the set between the brackets; if the first character after the left bracket is ^, the input field is all characters until the first character which is in the remaining set of characters between the brackets. The corresponding argument must point to a character array. The conversion characters d, o and x may be capitalized or preceded by l to indicate that a pointer to long rather than to int is in the argument list. Similarly, the conversion characters e or f may be capitalized or preceded by l to indicate a pointer to double rather than to float. The conversion characters d, o and x may be preceded by h to indicate a pointer to short rather than to int. The scanf functions return the number of successfully matched and assigned input items. This can be used to decide how many input items were found. The constant EOF is returned upon end of input; note that this is different from 0, which means that no conversion was done; if conversion was intended, it was frustrated by an inappropriate character in the input. For example, the call int i; float x; char name[50]; scanf("%d%f%s", &i, &x, name); with the input line 25 54.32E-1 thompson will assign to i the value 25, x the value 5.432, and name will contain `thompson'. Or, int i; float x; char name[50]; scanf("%2d%f%*d%[1234567890]", &i, &x, name); with input 56789 0123 56a72 will assign 56 to i, 789.0 to x, skip `0123', and place the string `56' in name. The next call to getchar will return `a'. SEE ALSO
atof(3), getc(3S), printf(3S) DIAGNOSTICS
The scanf functions return EOF on end of input, and a short count for missing or illegal data items. BUGS
The success of literal matches and suppressed assignments is not directly determinable. 7th Edition May 15, 1985 SCANF(3S)