Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Assign a process to a core on start Post 302910727 by jlliagre on Sunday 27th of July 2014 05:58:18 PM
Old 07-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejesh
In Ubuntu it is possible to start a process in a specified core using taskset command (taskset 0 myproc it will execute myproc in core 0).
It won't. You should actually run
Code:
taskset 1 myproc

to bind your process to core #0.
Quote:
I know it is possible a process(pid) can bind to a core using pbind. But my requirement is to start a process in a specified core.

How it is possible in Solaris?
You can still use pbind. Just wrap your command with a script that bind itself to the required core then execute the command. As a processor binding is inherited, that would fulfill the requirement. eg:

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
pbind -b 0 $$
exec myproc "$@"

Beware that achenle's processor set suggestion (psrset) is about exclusive processor binding while both Linux taskset and Solaris pbind create non-exclusive binding, i.e. the processor can still be used by other processes. This might not be what you expect.
This User Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrao
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting core id, physical id of running process

Hi All, I need a help. I need to know: 1. the individual core id, physical id of a running process on multicore inside a program. The system file /proc/cpuinfo shows all the ids of all the processes. But I need to know runtime, what exact core id and physical id , the running process has.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: debrajde
0 Replies

3. Solaris

coreadm diasble a process from core dumping

Hello All Is it possible to disable a specific process from core dumping ? In my environment I have 2 bespoke application processes which needs to be stopped from core dumping but any other process should be allowed to core dump. If I do : coreadm -d process it will stop all per processes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baner_n
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to force core dump of a process

We have an application that terminates with segmentation violation errors in the logs. No source code is available since this is a third party software that is way past its maintenance life cycle. Under these circumstances is there a way to force a core dump of the process for further analysis?? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Un1xNewb1e
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script - How to automatically start another process when the previous process ends?

Hi all, I'm doing automation task for my team and I just started to learn unix scripting so please shed some light on how to do this: 1) I have 2 sets of datafiles - datafile A and B. These datafiles must be loaded subsequently and cannot be loaded concurrently. 2) So I loaded datafile A... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: luna_soleil
10 Replies

6. Programming

how to monitor the child process on which cpu core

Hi all. Sorry to express my questions wrongly in my early post,I repost my question again here. My pc has dual core, I wirte an application with two process, parents process and child process. My quetion is how to realize :if the child process is on core 0,it will tell me I'm on core 0,if it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Process does not dump any core files when crashed even if coredumpsize is unlimited

Hello Im using redhat and try to debug my application , its crashes and in strace I also see it has problems , but I can't see any core dump I configured all the limit ( im using .cshrc ) and it looks like this : cputime unlimited filesize unlimited datasize unlimited... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the process/thread running on which core

I use top -H -p 1256 to show process 1256, and then press "f" then press "j" to display it is running on which core, is there a better mothed, I want to be automated to get this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Core Dump of a process in Red Hat Linux 5.9

Hello All, I am new joiner of this forum.I am new to Linux shell scripting. At present I have identified 1 application which stalls very frequently (PID is say xyz) and I am not having much information in its application log to identify the root cause of stalling. I need to take the core dump... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan Ganguly
19 Replies
pbind(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 pbind(1M)

NAME
pbind - control and query bindings of processes or LWPs SYNOPSIS
pbind -b processor_id pid [/lwpid]... pbind [-q] [pid [/lwpid]...] pbind -Q [processor_id...] pbind -u pid [/lwpid]... pbind -U [processor_id...] DESCRIPTION
pbind controls and queries bindings of processes and LWPs (lightweight processes) to processors. pbind can also remove processor bindings that were previously established. When an LWP is bound to a processor, it will be executed only by that processor except when the LWP requires a resource that is provided only by another processor. The binding is not exclusive, that is, the processor is free execute other LWPs as well. Bindings are inherited, so new LWPs and processes created by a bound LWP will have the same binding. Binding an interactive shell to a pro- cessor, for example, binds all commands executed by the shell. Superusers may bind or unbind any process or LWP, while other users can bind or unbind any process or LWP for which they have permission to signal, that is, any process that has the same effective user ID as the user. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b processor_id Binds all or a subset of the LWPs of the specified processes to the processor processor_id. Specify processor_id as the processor ID of the processor to be controlled or queried. processor_id must be present and on-line. Use the psrinfo command to determine whether or not processor_id is present and on-line. See psrinfo(1M). -q Displays the bindings of the specified processes or of all processes. If a process is composed of multiple LWPs which have different bindings and the LWPs are not explicitly specified, the bindings of only one of the bound LWPs will be displayed. The bindings of a subset of LWPs can be displayed by appending "/lwpids" to the process IDs. Multiple LWPs may be selected using "-" and "," delimiters. See EXAMPLES. -Q Displays the LWPs bound to the specified list of processors, or all LWPs with processor bindings. For processes composed of multiple LWPs, the bindings of individual LWPs will be displayed. -u Removes the bindings of all or a subset of the LWPs of the specified processes, allowing them to be executed on any on-line processor. -U Removes the bindings of all LWPs bound to the specified list of processors, or to any processor if no argument is specified. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: pid The process ID of the process to be controlled or queried. lwpid The set of LWP IDs of the specified process to be controlled or queried. The syntax for selecting LWP IDs is as follows: 2,3,4-8 LWP IDs 2, 3, and 4 through 8 -4 LWPs whose IDs are 4 or below 4- LWPs whose IDs are 4 or above processor_id The processor ID of the processor to be controlled or queried. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Binding Processes The following example binds processes 204 and 223 to processor 2: example% pbind -b 2 204 223 process id 204: was 2, now 2 process id 223: was 3, now 2 Example 2: Unbinding a Process The following example unbinds process 204: example% pbind -u 204 Example 3: Querying Bindings The following example queries bindings. It demonstrates that process 1 is bound to processor 0, process 149 has at least one LWP bound to CPU3, and process 101 has no bound LWPs. example% pbind -q 1 149 101 process id 1: 0 process id 149: 3 process id 101: not bound Example 4: Querying LWP Bindings The following example queries bindings of LWPs. It demonstrates that LWP 1 of process 149 is bound to CPU3, and LWP 2 of process 149 is not bound. example% pbind -q 149/1-2 lwp id 149/1: 3 lwp id 149/2: not bound Example 5: Querying LWP Bindings for Processor 2: The following example queries all LWPs bound to processor 2: example% pbind -Q 2 lwp id 149/4: 2 lwp id 149/5: 2 ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. SEE ALSO
psradm(1M), psrinfo(1M), psrset(1M), processor_bind(2), processor_info(2), sysconf(3C), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pbind: cannot query pid 31: No suchprocess The process specified did not exist or has exited. pbind: cannot bind pid 31: Not owner The user does not have permission to bind the process. pbind: cannot bind pid 31: Invalid argument The specified processor is not on-line. SunOS 5.10 18 July 2004 pbind(1M)