Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find and replace a string with spaces and / recursively? Post 302910604 by clx on Friday 25th of July 2014 04:43:29 PM
Old 07-25-2014
You can see that sed is unable to understand where to look for replacement string as there are many "/" chars.
Good news is you can use any other character as the delimiter if your string contains "/".

Code:
sed -i 's|/dir1/dir2/dir3/file1 -- -k abc@yahoo.com|/dirA/dirB/dirC/fileD -- -j  xyz@gmail.com|g'

Remember you also doesn't have closing single quote in your code.
This User Gave Thanks to clx For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace all occurances of a string in all file-/foldernames, recursively

I need a script that will replace all occurances of a string in all filenames and foldernames, recursively. Right now I have this script: for f in `find -name *eye*`; do echo processing $f g=`expr "xxx$f" : 'xxx\(.*\)' | tr 'eye' 'm'` mv "$f" "$g" done The problem is that tr... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheMJ
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces recursively

Hi, I have a directory with files and sub-directories (sub-directory depth might go upto 5). There will be one or more spaces (continuously or anywhere in the file name) which need to be replaced with HYPHENs. How can i replace all SPACE occurances with HYPHEN in file/dir names recursively. (2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read a string with leading spaces and find the length of the string

HI In my script, i am reading the input from the user and want to find the length of the string. The input may contain leading spaces. Right now, when leading spaces are there, they are not counted. Kindly help me My script is like below. I am using the ksh. #!/usr/bin/ksh echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayamatrix
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace a search string recursively in files

Hi , I have a directory structure as dir and subdirectories and files under it and so on.now I need to find the files which contain the search string under every dir and subdir and replace . my search string is like searchstring=/a/b string to be replaced=/a/c/b please help. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: replace string with another string (with spaces)

Hi I have an XML file with strings XABCD, XEFGHX and XIJKLX. I would like to replace XABCDX with "This is the first string", XEFGHX with "This is the second string" and XIJKLX with "This is the third string". What is the best way to implement this? Should I have a file with the data that is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zmfcat1
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed matching <tag1> newline spaces <tag2> and replace the value in the same string format

Hi, I'm very new to shell scripting and have searched google and this forum for quite some time now. I have the following in my xml file: <recipients> <member>value1</member> </recipients> I need to find a string <recipients> that follows with a new-line and bunch of spaces and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgharios
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replace that has spaces

cat rf|nawk '/Use SSL= 0/{n+=1}{if (n==3){sub("Use SSL= 0","Use SSL= 0x1",$0)};print }' > rf2Fails. sed 's/Use SSL= 0/Use SSL= 0x1/g' rf > rf2Fails. In addition, the goal is to ONLY replace the 2nd occurence of the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfransix
15 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I replace a string in file that is in a certain position with spaces?

I am trying to replace the string in position 26 through 35 of the data file with 10 spaces and I want the remaining file to stay as is, the record length is over 900 characters? I am trying to use the AWK and substr but I am not getting it formatted correctly. Before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnwine1500
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively?

Hi, How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively? What I tried: find . -type f -exec cat {} | grep "make" \; Output: grep: find: ;: No such file or directory missing argument to `-exec' And this: find . -type f -exec cat {} \; -exec grep "make" {} \;... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
12 Replies
RAIDFILE-CONFIG(8)						    Box Backup							RAIDFILE-CONFIG(8)

NAME
raidfile-config - Configure Box Backup's RAID files SYNOPSIS
raidfile-config config-dir blocksize dir1 [dir2 [dir3]] DESCRIPTION
raidfile-config creates a raidfile.conf file for Box Backup. This file holds information about the directories used to store backups in. Box Backup supports userland RAID, in a restricted RAID5 configuration, where 3 and only 3 'drives' are supported. You can read more about RAID5 (and other RAID-levels) here[1]. Parameters The parameters are as follows: config-dir The directory path where configuration files are located. Usually this is /etc/box. raidfile.conf will be written in this directory. blocksize The block size used for file storage in the system, in bytes. Using a multiple of the file system block size is a good strategy. Depending on the size of the files you will be backing up, this multiple varies. Of course it also depends on the native block size of your file system. dir1 The first directory in the built-in RAID array. dir2 The second directory in the built-in RAID array. If you are not using the built-in RAID functionality, this field should be ignored. You should not use the built-in RAID if you have a hardware RAID solution or if you're using another type of software RAID (like md on Linux). dir3 The third directory in the built-in RAID array. The same notes that apply to dir2 also apply to dir3. Note that there are currently no way to add multiple disk sets to the raidfile.conf file using command line tools, etc. See raidfile.conf(5) for details on adding more disks. BUGS
If you find a bug in Box Backup, and you want to let us know about it, join the mailing list[2], and send a description of the problem there. To report a bug, give us at least the following information: o The version of Box Backup you are running o The platform you are running on (hardware and OS), for both client and server. o If possible attach your config files (bbstored.conf, bbackupd.conf) to the bug report. o Also attach any log file output that helps shed light on the problem you are seeing. o And last but certainly not least, a description of what you are seeing, in as much detail as possible. FILES
raidfile-config generates the raidfile.conf(5) file. SEE ALSO
bbstored-config(8), bbstored.conf(5), raidfile.conf(5) AUTHORS
Ben Summers Per Thomsen James O'Gorman NOTES
1. here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks#RAID_5 2. mailing list http://lists.warhead.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/boxbackup Box Backup 0.11 10/28/2011 RAIDFILE-CONFIG(8)