Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace text from one file in another file Post 302910541 by chacko193 on Friday 25th of July 2014 07:31:35 AM
Old 07-25-2014
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{arr[$1]=$2;next}($1 in arr){$1=arr[$1]}1' file1 file2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace text in input file

I wish to replace values of specific parameters in an input file for batch runs of a java code. It's essentially a nested for-loop sorta like this: valuearray1 contains values for param1 valuearray2 contains values for param2 for (all values in valuearray1) go into specific position in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daphantomica
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search and replace a specific text in text file?

I have a text file with following content (3 lines) filename : output.txt first line:12/12/2008 second line:12/12/2008 third line:Y I would like to know how we can replace 'Y' with 'N' in the 3rd line keeping 1st and 2nd lines same as what it was before. I tried using cat output.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosham
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can search a String in one text file and replace the whole line in another file

i am very new to UNIX plz help me in this scenario i have two text files as below file1.txt name=Rajakumar. Discipline=Electronics and communication. Designation=software Engineer. file2.txt name=Kannan. Discipline=Mechanical. Designation=CADD Design Engineer. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkraja
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace text in a file with text entered

I am trying to write a shell script that will allow the typing of a value, then using that value to replace data in a text file. I suspect I need sed. The format of the file is: Variable1:Value1 Variable2:Value2 The interaction would be something like: Shell Prompt: "Please enter the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleanden
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace a text in a file from second file in shell

Hi, I have file 1 say abc abcd abc abcd <some tag> xyx abcd xyz abc abcd <some tag> xyx xyz abc And i have another file say file 2 - replaced tag1 replaced tag2 Now i want to put value of file2 in file1 whereever it finds <some tag>. for e.g. first <some tag> should be replaced... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhitanshu
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace text in column1 of a file matching columns of another file

Hi all, I have 2 files: species-names.txt Abaca-bunchy-top-virus ((((Abaca-bunchy-top-virus((Babuvirus((Unassigned((Nanoviridae((Unassigned)))) Abutilon-mosaic-virus ((((Abutilon-mosaic-virus((Begomovirus((Unassigned((Geminiviridae((Unassigned))))... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thienxho
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace from file in awk using a 16 bit text file

Hello, Some time ago a helpful awk file was provided on the forum which I give below: NR==FNR{A=$0;next}{for(j in A){split(A,P,"=");for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if($i==P){$i=P}}}}1 While it works beautifully on English and Latin characters i.e. within the ASCII range of 127, the moment a character beyond... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
6 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

2 Questions: replace text in txt file, add text to end of txt file

so... Lets assume I have a text file. The text file contains multiple "#" symbols. I want to replace all thos "#"s with a STRING using DOS/Batch I want to add a certain TEXT to the end of each line. How can I do this WITHOUT aid of sed, grep or anything linux related ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pasc
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to replace text file from a lookup file

Hi. I need assistance with the replacing of text into a specific file via a bash script. My bash script, once run, currently provides a menu of computer names to choose.The script copies onto my system various files, depending what computer was selected in the menu.This is working OK. Now, I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jonesn2000
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace text in a file

I wrote a program using Perl to find and replace a text within a file. The text that needs to be replaced in the file is 'sql7.0.1' with 'sqls715'. When I execute my program I get an error message: Here is my code: #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my $filename =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellanicholson
6 Replies
PG_FETCH_ARRAY(3)														 PG_FETCH_ARRAY(3)

pg_fetch_array - Fetch a row as an array

SYNOPSIS
array pg_fetch_array (resource $result, [int $row], [int $result_type = PGSQL_BOTH]) DESCRIPTION
pg_fetch_array(3) returns an array that corresponds to the fetched row (record). pg_fetch_array(3) is an extended version of pg_fetch_row(3). In addition to storing the data in the numeric indices (field number) to the result array, it can also store the data using associative indices (field name). It stores both indicies by default. Note This function sets NULL fields to the PHP NULL value. pg_fetch_array(3) is NOT significantly slower than using pg_fetch_row(3), and is significantly easier to use. PARAMETERS
o $result - PostgreSQL query result resource, returned by pg_query(3), pg_query_params(3) or pg_execute(3) (among others). o $row - Row number in result to fetch. Rows are numbered from 0 upwards. If omitted or NULL, the next row is fetched. o $result_type - An optional parameter that controls how the returned array is indexed. $result_type is a constant and can take the following values: PGSQL_ASSOC, PGSQL_NUM and PGSQL_BOTH. Using PGSQL_NUM, pg_fetch_array(3) will return an array with numerical indices, using PGSQL_ASSOC it will return only associative indices while PGSQL_BOTH, the default, will return both numerical and associa- tive indices. RETURN VALUES
An array indexed numerically (beginning with 0) or associatively (indexed by field name), or both. Each value in the array is represented as a string. Database NULL values are returned as NULL. FALSE is returned if $row exceeds the number of rows in the set, there are no more rows, or on any other error. EXAMPLES
Example #1 pg_fetch_array(3) example <?php $conn = pg_pconnect("dbname=publisher"); if (!$conn) { echo "An error occurred. "; exit; } $result = pg_query($conn, "SELECT author, email FROM authors"); if (!$result) { echo "An error occurred. "; exit; } $arr = pg_fetch_array($result, 0, PGSQL_NUM); echo $arr[0] . " <- Row 1 Author "; echo $arr[1] . " <- Row 1 E-mail "; // As of PHP 4.1.0, the row parameter is optional; NULL can be passed instead, // to pass a result_type. Successive calls to pg_fetch_array will return the // next row. $arr = pg_fetch_array($result, NULL, PGSQL_ASSOC); echo $arr["author"] . " <- Row 2 Author "; echo $arr["email"] . " <- Row 2 E-mail "; $arr = pg_fetch_array($result); echo $arr["author"] . " <- Row 3 Author "; echo $arr[1] . " <- Row 3 E-mail "; ?> SEE ALSO
pg_fetch_row(3), pg_fetch_object(3), pg_fetch_result(3). PHP Documentation Group PG_FETCH_ARRAY(3)