Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unmounting NFS idle clients from server Post 302910483 by Don Cragun on Thursday 24th of July 2014 07:13:48 PM
Old 07-24-2014
According to the Linux man page, the default duration is 2 minutes and maximum duration is 10 minutes.

Are you sure that any of the 513 mounts you're concerned about aren't being used? (Note that if someone changed directory into a directory under the mount point, that mount point will be "in use" until that process and all of its children exit or change directory to some directory that is not under that mount point.)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 8 server and Jumpstarting 2.6 clients

Ladies and Gentlemen: I have successfully configured a Solaris 8 server with Jumpstart! I can Jumpstart Solaris 8 client systems with no problem. My configuration is as follows: Jumpstart Server: Solaris 8 patched with Recommended Patches from June 05. I have installed Solaris 8 in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambo15
4 Replies

2. AIX

IPsec from one AIX server to many windows clients

I work for a fairly large organization who recently tasked me with securing our telnet services with IPsec. We have a large mixed environment where most of our servers are running unsecured telnet. ssh was my first suggestion but because of the cost of purchasing an enterprise license for a fips... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgaixsysadm
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 9 as a nfs client -- centos as a nfs server.

Hello, I have a centos as nfs server, its name is centos_A. After I finish the setup of the nfs server, the other linux can access this nfs server immediately via /net/centos_A/* But, My solaris 9 can not access /net/centos_A/* immediately. I have to leave /net/centos_A, and wait for about... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bruceharbin
1 Replies

4. AIX

Unmounting a failed NFS mount

I have an NFS file system mounted on one of my AIX servers with "mount -v cifs".. The server from which the file system was mounted has crashed and now my "df -g" output is hanging. Is there any was to unmount this NFS file system? I have tried "umount -f". Doesn't work. Or is there any way in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wibhore
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Quest on NFS with 1 Server & 2 Clients

Hello; I work now with a team which has based her "applications" on the following schema: 1 NFS client C1 (linux redhat 5) writes a file fic.dat on a NFS SERVER S (RH 5) Another NFS client C2 is waiting for the same file fic.dat (on NFS server S1), and, when "fic.dat" appears, then makes... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolarMax
8 Replies

6. IP Networking

Some clients cannot ping UNIX server

All of sudden in this morning, some computers could not connect to our UNIX server while other still could. Some computers could ping the server while some could not. Same on the server side. It could ping some clients but not some. All Windows clients could ping each other. And more, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jonapa
1 Replies

7. Programming

Clients - Server ( UDP )

Hello, I have a question: I want to create a n client to one server connection. This is the client-server algorithm. Enybody help to make the changes? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaHmur
0 Replies

8. Solaris

NFS with a NAS: permanently inconsistent directory state across clients

Hi, I am having some NFS directory consistency problems with the below setup on a local (192.) network: 1. Different permissions (chmod) for the same NFS dir are reflected on different clients. 2. (more serious) an NFS dir created on client1 cannot be accessed on client2; this applies to some... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmojetz
10 Replies

9. AIX

AIX NFS Server and NFS Client

Hi 2 ALL, try to run NFS Server in AIX 7.1 : 1. Step by step on NFS Server node mkdir /tmp/test chgrp staff /tmp/test chmod 775 /tmp/test-- create export directory (fs) mknfsexp -d /tmp/test -t ro exportfs -va show mount -e :/# exportfs -av exports: 1831-187 re-exported /tmp/test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
4 Replies
PIVOT_ROOT(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						     PIVOT_ROOT(2)

NAME
pivot_root - change the root file system SYNOPSIS
int pivot_root(const char *new_root, const char *put_old); Note: There is no glibc wrapper for this system call; see NOTES. DESCRIPTION
pivot_root() moves the root file system of the calling process to the directory put_old and makes new_root the new root file system of the calling process. The typical use of pivot_root() is during system startup, when the system mounts a temporary root file system (e.g., an initrd), then mounts the real root file system, and eventually turns the latter into the current root of all relevant processes or threads. pivot_root() may or may not change the current root and the current working directory of any processes or threads which use the old root directory. The caller of pivot_root() must ensure that processes with root or current working directory at the old root operate correctly in either case. An easy way to ensure this is to change their root and current working directory to new_root before invoking pivot_root(). The paragraph above is intentionally vague because the implementation of pivot_root() may change in the future. At the time of writing, pivot_root() changes root and current working directory of each process or thread to new_root if they point to the old root directory. This is necessary in order to prevent kernel threads from keeping the old root directory busy with their root and current working direc- tory, even if they never access the file system in any way. In the future, there may be a mechanism for kernel threads to explicitly relinquish any access to the file system, such that this fairly intrusive mechanism can be removed from pivot_root(). Note that this also applies to the calling process: pivot_root() may or may not affect its current working directory. It is therefore rec- ommended to call chdir("/") immediately after pivot_root(). The following restrictions apply to new_root and put_old: - They must be directories. - new_root and put_old must not be on the same file system as the current root. - put_old must be underneath new_root, that is, adding a nonzero number of /.. to the string pointed to by put_old must yield the same directory as new_root. - No other file system may be mounted on put_old. See also pivot_root(8) for additional usage examples. If the current root is not a mount point (e.g., after chroot(2) or pivot_root(), see also below), not the old root directory, but the mount point of that file system is mounted on put_old. new_root does not have to be a mount point. In this case, /proc/mounts will show the mount point of the file system containing new_root as root (/). RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
pivot_root() may return (in errno) any of the errors returned by stat(2). Additionally, it may return: EBUSY new_root or put_old are on the current root file system, or a file system is already mounted on put_old. EINVAL put_old is not underneath new_root. ENOTDIR new_root or put_old is not a directory. EPERM The calling process does not have the CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability. VERSIONS
pivot_root() was introduced in Linux 2.3.41. CONFORMING TO
pivot_root() is Linux-specific and hence is not portable. NOTES
Glibc does not provide a wrapper for this system call; call it using syscall(2). BUGS
pivot_root() should not have to change root and current working directory of all other processes in the system. Some of the more obscure uses of pivot_root() may quickly lead to insanity. SEE ALSO
chdir(2), chroot(2), stat(2), initrd(4), pivot_root(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-07-13 PIVOT_ROOT(2)