Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Is UNIX an open source OS ?
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Is UNIX an open source OS ? Post 302910459 by wisecracker on Thursday 24th of July 2014 03:24:45 PM
Old 07-24-2014
It does not really matter these days whether UNIX per-se is completely open sourced or not.
As some versions are, some are not, however the simplicity coupled with power at your fingertips is legendary these days...

As a novice at the *NIX family of OSes the single beauty to me is that everything is a __file__.
These __files__ can technically be read from and written to without much of a fuss.

Take the following, (this assumes /dev/dsp exists and an internal mic on your system)......
Code:
cat < /dev/dsp > /dev/dsp

......records a few seconds of voice then replays that recording from from the same device, continuously.
This could be the basis of a simple baby alarm all with the simplicity of "everything is a file".

So from one line of 25 characters of an open sourced command, cat , you have tremendous power at your fingertips.

This alone is both elegant and beautiful, and 'cat' along with other *NIX commands IS/ARE open source...

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open source antivirus

Hello What is the best open source anti virus? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohammadmahdi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open Source

Hi Friends I'm new to this UNIX - I'm working on the porting project from Solaris To Linux i just want to map some commands from solaris to Linux so can any one please tell me how to get the source code of the commands like "ls", "cu", "du" Regards sabee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabee.prakash
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

need open source KB software for UNIX

Anyone know of a good open source Knowledge Base software for UNIX that can connect to an Oracle back end? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJ45
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Open-source projects to learn concurrency-managed network programming in Unix?

Hi, I am a mid-career programmer with extensive experience in object-oriented design and development in C, C++, and C#. I've written a number of multi-threaded server applications and background services, although my grasp of networking protocols is a bit weak: my current job drifted away from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTaoOfPhil
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX/Linux inventory - Open Source

Hello guys, I need an open source tool that can list all the softwares installed in my unix/linux servers, the tool should list all the softwares installed and the current version, grouped by the hostname, anybody know any solution for this specific problem? Thanks guys, have a good day! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: denisloide
7 Replies
7(16 December 2012)													       7(16 December 2012)

NAME
sndstat - Open Sound System status device DESCRIPTION
/dev/sndstat is a text formatted device special file that returns information about available (OSS) sound devices. This device file is obsolete and the ossinfo(1) utility should be used instead. Notice that the device numbering used in this file is different that the official numbering used by ossinfo(1) and some other utilities. /dev/sndstat uses device numbers that match the "legacy" /dev/dspN, /dev/midiN and /dev/mixerN device files. Application programs should not use /dev/sndstat to obtain information about the sound devices. The format of this file may change in the future and /dev/sndstat may even be removed from OSS in distant future. OSS 4.0 and later has an ioctl interface for getting detailed and reliable information about the devices. AUDIO USAGE HISTORY
/dev/sndstat reports some history information about previously run audio applications. This section is a debugging aid for application developers and it will be moved to the ossinfo program in the future. For example: History: /dev/oss/hdaudio0/pcm0.10: pid 6326 cmd 'error_test' OUT Play events:01009:2 Rec events:01002:0 /dev/oss/hdaudio0/pcm0.10: pid 6329 cmd 'mpg123' OUT /dev/oss/hdaudio0/pcm0.10: pid 6329 cmd 'mpg123' OUT /dev/oss/hdaudio0/pcm0.10: pid 6329 cmd 'mpg123' OUT Each line will show the the device name, PID and name of the application (if known) and access mode (IN and/or OUT). There may also be additional info about buffer underruns/overruns and other recording and playback related events. Each Play and rec events consist of 5-6 digit event code and a parameter separated by a colon. A list of defined event codes and their explanations can be found from http://manuals.opensound.com/developer/oss_error_codes.html. Purpose of these events is to inform applica- tion developers by potential problems in their code. COMPATIBILITY
/dev/sndstat has been available in all OSS versions. However in OSS 4.0 and later this device file should only be used by applications written for earlier OSS versions. OPTIONS
None PROGRAMMING INFORMATION
Some applications use /dev/sndstat to find the audio devices available in the system. This method is no longer recommended. Applications should use the SNDCTL_AUDIOINFO(2) ioctl call to find the devices. SEE ALSO
o dsp(7) - Audio device files o mixer(7) - Mixer (control panel) device files o midi(7) - MIDI device files FILES
/dev/sndstat AUTHOR
4Front Technologies OSS Devices 7(16 December 2012)