Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Assign a variable with awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assign a variable with awk Post 302910455 by arpagon on Thursday 24th of July 2014 03:03:10 PM
Old 07-24-2014
Assign a variable with awk

I launch 'netstat -a', if string 'ESTABLISHED' found, then VAR=1

Code:
#!/bin/bash
VAR=0;
netstat -a | awk '$6 ~ /ESTABLISHED/ {VAR=1}'

I cannot find the right syntax.

thanx guys!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: assign a printf value to a variable

Is there any way to something like this?: variable=printf("%30s",var1) Thx. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign value to variable using AWK

Dear Friends I have text file as like below, AAAAA|BHBHBH|VERYSMART AAAAA| KKKKKK|GOOD BBBBBB|JJJJJJJ|VERYGOOD CCCCC|HJHJHJ|BETTER CCCCC|UUUUU|GOOD i need to split into seperate files based on column 1 like as below AAAAA.TXT contains -------------------- BHBHBH.VERYSMART... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HAA
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk command result to a variable

#!/bin/sh # ## MYSTRING = `awk '/myApp.app/' /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist` if then echo String not found defaults write /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/loginwindow AutoLaunchedApplicationDictionary -dict-add -string Hide -bool YES -string Path -string... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dedmakar
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign o/p of awk to a variable

:confused: Hi UNIX gurus, I am facing a typical problem while assigining while assigining output of awk to a variable. I have a fixed length file say myinputfile.txt When I allow the value/output of an awk to be redirected to a file, it works fine. i.e. awk "/^.{232}$acctNum/ {... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: c2b2
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: assign variable with -v didn't work in awk filter

I want to filter 2nd column = 2 using awk $ cat t 1 2 2 4 $ VAR=2 #variable worked in print $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR ' { print ID}' 2 2 # but variable didn't work in awk filter $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR '$2~/ID/ { print $0}' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on awk---- need to assign the output of awk to a variable

hi i want to find the size of a folder and assign it to a variable and then compare if it is greater than 1 gb. i am doin this script, but it is throwing error.... #!/bin/ksh cd . | du -s | size = awk '{print $1}' if size >= 112000 then echo size high fi ERROR : (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nithz
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to assign a value to a variable in awk scripting?

Hi, I am trying to assign a value using below command and it is assigning the command to the variable not the output of the command? out_value="echo $0 | cut -c 9-11"; How can i assign the output to the variable instead of whole command? This is inside my awk script (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya123
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign awk values to shell variable?

Hi Gurus, I have a script which assign awk output to shell variable. current it uses two awk command to assign value to two variables. I want to use one command to assign two values to two variables. I tried the code, but it does't work. kindly provide your suggestion. current code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
2 Replies
inet_type(4)							   File Formats 						      inet_type(4)

NAME
inet_type - default Internet protocol type SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/inet_type DESCRIPTION
The inet_type file defines the default IP protocol to use. Currently this file is only used by the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. The inet_type file can contain a number of <variable>=<value> lines. Currently, the only variable defined is DEFAULT_IP, which can be assigned a value of IP_VERSION4, IP_VERSION6, or BOTH. The output displayed by the ifconfig and netstat commands can be controlled by the value of DEFAULT_IP set in inet_type file. By default, both commands display the IPv4 and IPv6 information available on the system. The user can choose to suppress display of IPv6 information by setting the value of DEFAULT_IP. The following shows the possible values for DEFAULT_IP and the resulting ifconfig and netstat output that will be displayed: IP_VERSION4 Displays only IPv4 related information. The output displayed is backward compatible with older versions of the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. IP_VERSION6 Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. BOTH Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. The command-line options to the ifconfig and netstat commands override the effect of DEFAULT_IP as set in the inet_type file. For example, even if the value of DEFAULT_IP is IP_VERSION4, the command example% ifconfig -a6 will display all IPv6 interfaces. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Suppressing IPv6 Related Output This is what the inet_type file must contain if you want to suppress IPv6 related output: DEFAULT_IP=IP_VERSION4 SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), netstat(1M) SunOS 5.10 16 Jun 1999 inet_type(4)