Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Why /bin/su permission with SUID? Post 302910432 by rbatte1 on Thursday 24th of July 2014 11:53:47 AM
Old 07-24-2014
Okay, I was just too polite. I am British, so what do you expect? I agree.

If they are asking you why, then they don't understand enough to do their job safely.
  • Tell them that the root account is never logged on to, and thye'll probably tell you to remove it.
  • Tell them that you have RW filesystems, they will probably insist that they are remounted as RO.
  • Tell them that you use telnet to access the server and they will tell you to turn it off, even if you have no other access except the console.
Who would you let near the server that could cost you your job?

Regards,
Robin

Last edited by rbatte1; 07-24-2014 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: nutralising gender, although it's probably some daft bloke anyway

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

/bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

today i started the LFS book (version 4.0). Basically i am using slackware 9.0 to try and install a new linux completely from source on another partition. Now i took the book's recommendations and created a user called lfs so i wouldn't have to do the stuff as root, and i have got the new LFS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calum
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fuser: difference with bin/sh and bin/ksh shell script

Hi, I have a problem I don't understand with fuser. I launch a simple shell script mysleep.sh: I launch the command fuser -fu mysleep.sh but fuser doesn't return anything excepted: mysleep: Then I modify my script switching from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh I launch the command fuser -fu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
4 Replies

3. Solaris

/usr/bin has been changed with 777 permission

Hello Guruz, Relay bad condition :mad: Some has changed the permission to 777 recursively for /usr/bin directory by mistake. Now all the permission looks to be 777 on /usr/bin Hence I am so many system related errors as 1 show below. When I am trying to change the password, I am getting... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
5 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

I accidentally changed to only write permission on /usr/bin... please Help!

I accidentally changed to sudo chmod a=w to my /usr/bin folder on my macbook with OS 10.5.8... Please help! I can't even get into a terminal correctly cause it displays: -bash: uname: command not found -bash: cut: command not found -bash: uname: command not found -bash: cut: command not found... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scaryMac23
6 Replies

5. Red Hat

/bin strange permission, corrupted? [solved]

Hi I think my /bin is corrupted which is why I can’t boot my server.. Anyone knows what below file permission means? # ls -l /mnt/sysimage | grep bin drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 12288 Sep 29 11:23 sbin ?r--rw-x 41112 16694 1305152 0 Feb 10 2055 bin Tried overwriting, deleting,chmod,chown but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: halacil
0 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Retrieve all the permission of the /bin folder

hello friends, By mistake I have run find / -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \; now all permission has been chaged of /bin I am not able to change the permission. I am working on the virtuozzo VPS. Is their any way to retrieve the permission to 770 to /bin Note /bin/chmod also not executing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharlin
2 Replies

8. AIX

Redistribution bin required for AIX. j7r164redist.7.1.0.25.bin

Hi, I am planning to install a version of Informatica on my AIX box. It requires a specific java build in pap6470_27sr2-20141101_01(SR2). The current link for IBM 64-bit SDK for AIX®, JavaTM Technology Edition, Version 7 Release 1 has a more recent version in j7r164redist.7.1.0.75.bin. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetpraveens
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between inbuilt suid programs and user defined root suid programs under bash shell?

Hey guys, Suppose i run passwd via bash shell. It is a suid program, which temporarily runs as root(owner) and modifies the user entries. However, when i write a C file and give 4755 permission and root ownership to the 'a.out' file , it doesn't run as root in bash shell. I verified this by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of #!/bin/sh vs #!/bin/bash shell scripts?

Some question about the usage of shell scripts: 1.) Are the commands of the base shell scripts a subset of bash commands? 2.) Assume I got a long, long script WITHOUT the first line. How can I find out if the script was originally designed für "sh" or "bash"? 3.) How can I check a given... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
3 Replies
PSERVER(1)							      pserver								PSERVER(1)

NAME
pserver - NetWare print server SYNOPSIS
pserver [ -S server ] [ -h ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] [ -q queue name ] [ -c command ] [ -j job type ] [ -t timeout ] [ -d ] DESCRIPTION
pserver is a program that connects to print queues on NetWare servers and feeds incoming print jobs to the Linux printing system. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the print server name at the server. -P password password is the password to use for the print server at the server. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, pserver prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if the print server does not require a password. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. -q queue name queue name is the name of the print queue you want to service. -c command When a job is received from the print queue, pserver forks off a new process, and feeds the job file to stdin. command is the printing command that is executed for each job. The default command is 'lpr'. You can insert several flags into the command, preceded by %. These are replaced with values retrieved from the queue structure for the print job. %u: This field will be replaced by the name of the user who posted this print job. %d: This field will be replaced by the job description field of this print job. -j job type Each job in a NetWare print queue has a job type. For print jobs, this corresponds to the number of the form the job should be printed on. You can tell pserver that it should only receive jobs for one specific form from the queue. The default is -1, which means that everything is received. -t timeout Pserver is not informed by NetWare servers when new jobs arrive. So a polling scheme has to be used. When there are no jobs to service, timeout tells pserver how long to wait between two requests. The default is 30 seconds. When a job is finished, pserver asks the NetWare server immediately for a new job, and does not wait timeout seconds. -d Normally, pserver daemonizes itself. -d tells it not to do so. This is useful if you want to see the diagnostic messages that are printed when a error occurs. SEE ALSO
nwclient(5), slist(1), pqlist(1), ncpmount(8), ncpumount(8) CREDITS
pserver was written by Volker Lendecke (lendecke@math.uni-goettingen.de) pserver 10/22/1996 PSERVER(1)