Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Why /bin/su permission with SUID? Post 302910425 by achenle on Thursday 24th of July 2014 11:29:52 AM
Old 07-24-2014
There's no other way to say it, so I'll say it: your auditor is incompetent.

There are numerous setuid programs in any Unix or Unix-style OS. Many of them need to be setuid for them to operate properly. "su" is one. X windows servers tend to be another. "passwd" also needs to be setuid or users won't be able to set their own passwords. Don't tell me that audit report says to remove the setuid bit from "passwd"...

There are many others, too.

I'd be real careful following the recommendations of that audit report. You're likely to find yourself with non-working systems.
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to achenle For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

/bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

today i started the LFS book (version 4.0). Basically i am using slackware 9.0 to try and install a new linux completely from source on another partition. Now i took the book's recommendations and created a user called lfs so i wouldn't have to do the stuff as root, and i have got the new LFS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calum
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fuser: difference with bin/sh and bin/ksh shell script

Hi, I have a problem I don't understand with fuser. I launch a simple shell script mysleep.sh: I launch the command fuser -fu mysleep.sh but fuser doesn't return anything excepted: mysleep: Then I modify my script switching from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh I launch the command fuser -fu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
4 Replies

3. Solaris

/usr/bin has been changed with 777 permission

Hello Guruz, Relay bad condition :mad: Some has changed the permission to 777 recursively for /usr/bin directory by mistake. Now all the permission looks to be 777 on /usr/bin Hence I am so many system related errors as 1 show below. When I am trying to change the password, I am getting... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
5 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

I accidentally changed to only write permission on /usr/bin... please Help!

I accidentally changed to sudo chmod a=w to my /usr/bin folder on my macbook with OS 10.5.8... Please help! I can't even get into a terminal correctly cause it displays: -bash: uname: command not found -bash: cut: command not found -bash: uname: command not found -bash: cut: command not found... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scaryMac23
6 Replies

5. Red Hat

/bin strange permission, corrupted? [solved]

Hi I think my /bin is corrupted which is why I can’t boot my server.. Anyone knows what below file permission means? # ls -l /mnt/sysimage | grep bin drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 12288 Sep 29 11:23 sbin ?r--rw-x 41112 16694 1305152 0 Feb 10 2055 bin Tried overwriting, deleting,chmod,chown but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: halacil
0 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Retrieve all the permission of the /bin folder

hello friends, By mistake I have run find / -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \; now all permission has been chaged of /bin I am not able to change the permission. I am working on the virtuozzo VPS. Is their any way to retrieve the permission to 770 to /bin Note /bin/chmod also not executing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharlin
2 Replies

8. AIX

Redistribution bin required for AIX. j7r164redist.7.1.0.25.bin

Hi, I am planning to install a version of Informatica on my AIX box. It requires a specific java build in pap6470_27sr2-20141101_01(SR2). The current link for IBM 64-bit SDK for AIX®, JavaTM Technology Edition, Version 7 Release 1 has a more recent version in j7r164redist.7.1.0.75.bin. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetpraveens
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between inbuilt suid programs and user defined root suid programs under bash shell?

Hey guys, Suppose i run passwd via bash shell. It is a suid program, which temporarily runs as root(owner) and modifies the user entries. However, when i write a C file and give 4755 permission and root ownership to the 'a.out' file , it doesn't run as root in bash shell. I verified this by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of #!/bin/sh vs #!/bin/bash shell scripts?

Some question about the usage of shell scripts: 1.) Are the commands of the base shell scripts a subset of bash commands? 2.) Assume I got a long, long script WITHOUT the first line. How can I find out if the script was originally designed für "sh" or "bash"? 3.) How can I check a given... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
3 Replies
setuid(2)							System Calls Manual							 setuid(2)

NAME
setuid - Sets the user ID SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int setuid ( uid_t user_id ); Application developers may want to specify an #include statement for <sys/types.h> before the one for <unistd.h> if programs are being developed for multiple platforms. The additional #include statement is not required on Tru64 UNIX systems or by ISO or X/Open standards, but may be required on other vendors' systems that conform to these standards. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: setuid(): XSH5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Specifies the new user ID. DESCRIPTION
The setuid() function sets the real user ID, effective user ID, and the saved set user ID to the user_id parameter. To change the real user ID, the effective user ID, and the saved set user ID, the calling process must have superuser privilege. If the process does not have appropriate privilege, but the user_id parameter is equal to the real user ID or the saved set user ID, the setuid() function sets the effective user ID to the user_id parameter. The real user ID and saved set user ID remain unchanged. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the setuid() function returns a value of 0 (zero). Otherwise, the function returns a value of -1 and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The setuid() function sets errno to the specified values for the following conditions: [Tru64 UNIX] The process is attempting an operation that would exceeds a system limit, such as the number of tasks or threads allowed for a user ID. The value of the user_id parameter is invalid. The process does not have superuser privileges, and the user_id parameter does not match the real user ID or the saved set user ID. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: exec(2), getuid(2), setgid(2), setreuid(2) Standards: standards(5) delim off setuid(2)