Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Concatenate strings
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Concatenate strings Post 302910406 by rbatte1 on Thursday 24th of July 2014 08:39:15 AM
Old 07-24-2014
Would you not be better/simpler/more efficient as:-
Code:
while read line
do
 echo "${line}@example.com" 
done < /home/linux1/xxxxxxx/f1.txt >> /home/linux1/xxxxxx/f2.txt

This way, the output file just gets opened once rather than for every record in the input file.

Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate two strings or several strings into one string in B-shell?

like connect "summer" and "winter" to "summerwinter"? Can anybody help me? thanks a lot. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fontana
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate Strings

Hi Friends, I have a requirement I need to concatenate the below two strings. String 1 = /@jobid_at_ String 2 = value stored in ORACLE_SID String 3 = string1 concatenated with String 2. Please let me know how should i do it in UNIX. Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: diva_thilak
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete repeated strings (tags) in a line and concatenate corresponding words

Hello friends! Each line of my input file has this format: word<TAB>tag1<blankspace>lemma<TAB>tag2<blankspace>lemma ... <TAB>tag3<blankspace>lemma Of this file I need to eliminate all the repeated tags (of the same word) in a line, as in the example here below, but conserving both (all) the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjomba
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

concatenate strings

if i use echo "ravi" echo "sankar" it showing output ravi sankar but i want output as ravi sankar remember sankar should be in another echo statement only (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankr3
2 Replies

5. Web Development

Concatenate Strings

hi..:) this is my sample part of my program.. $csv_output .= $row.",". $row.",". $row.",". $row.",". $row.",". ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeneca
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate text between patterns in individual strings

In any given file, wherever a certain data block exists I need to concatenate the values(text after each "=" sign) from that block. in that block. The block starts and ends with specific pattern, say BEGIN DS and END DS respectively. The block size may vary. A file will have multiple such blocks.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prev
12 Replies

7. Programming

Concatenate two strings

Hello! Can anyone explain line 28 for me? I was thinking *a would be replaced by *b, but it actually appends *a to *b. I know it is related to pointer address, but could not figure it out by myself. Thanks a lot! 1 //Concatenate two strings 2 3 #include<stdio.h> 4 char *stradd (char *,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate strings in a a for loop

hi guys, I have this question. I am creating an script to that read a text file(.ini) with the list of the patterns to find for example: EPMS_VO EMPS_PARTS Then it check if file have been delivered in a folder and process it with each pattern, but I am having problems concatenting the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danman
7 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)