Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Warning while sorting : A newline character was added to the end of file Post 302910049 by DHeisenberg on Tuesday 22nd of July 2014 07:32:41 AM
Old 07-22-2014
Hi Don Cragon,
Thanks for the information about LINE_MAX. Wasn't aware of it. However, I would need a simpler method to solve this problem.

Hi drl,
Will check that perl version of sort.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extran NUll character added after end of line "\n"

Hi All, I am facing a strange situation and want to find why it is occuring . When i convert the whole line into Hexadecimal character i can find the junk value after new line (\n) . If i look in binary mode it is not visible. PLease let me know how possible the junk character is added... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append newline at the file end

Hi All, Is there any way to append a newline character at the end of a file(coma-separated file), through shell script? I need to check whether newline character exists at the end of a file, if it does not then append it. Regards, Krishna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KrishnaSaran
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a newline character at the end of filename

Hi All, I have named a file with current date,time and year as follows: month=`date | awk '{print $2}'` date=`date | awk '{print $3}'` year=`date | awk '{print $6}'` time=`date +%Hh_%Mm_%Ss'` filename="test_"$month"_"$date"_"$year"_"$time".txt" > $filename The file is created with a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check newline character in file?

Hi All, I have file with only one record,always be only one record. as like below. if that line contains newline end of the line..no need to add, if not just add the new line character. END OF FILE. ROW COUNT: 7 Please help me.. Thanks, (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo to file using SH without adding newline character

Hello! I am able to do this in bash, using: echo -ne HELLO > file.txt and then, 'HELLO' is written into file.txt without the newline character to be added in the end of the file. How is this possible to be done using sh instead of bash? If I try something similar is SH, then inside... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add newline character at end of file?

Hi All, I have following piece of code in UNIX C Shell script and I want to add one more command which can add newline at the end of file only if there is no newline character exists. foreach file (`ls $dd_PLAYCARD_EDI_IN`) if ( -f $dd_PLAYCARD_EDI_IN/${file} ) then cat -n... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnrohit2k
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending newline character End of File

Hi Gurus, Need help. I'm a beginner in Unix. I have a requirement, need to add or append newline (\n) character in file. Sample Data: 1|Main|Test|~# 2|Main|Hello|~# 3|Main|Unix|~# 4|Main|File|~#Output: 1|Main|Test|~# 2|Main|Hello|~# 3|Main|Unix|~# 4|Main|File|~#\n -- append only... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gouri Solleti
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for removing newline character from file

Hi below is my file. cat input.dat 101,abhilash,1000 102,prave en,2000 103,partha,4 000 10 4,naresh,5000 (its just a example file) and my output should be: 101,abhilash,1000 102,praveen,2000 103,partha,4000 104,naresh,5000 below is my code cat input.dat |tr -d '\n' >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilash_nakka
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

No newline at end of file

Hello all, I have maybe a simple Problem - but I do not know to handle it. All what I want, is to write a line to file without a newline at the end. It works with "echo -n" for all lines, but not for the last one. At the end of the file is always a "0a" (hex) My small script: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: API
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies
Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			 Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult(3)

NAME
Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult - Server Side Sort (SSS) result control object SYNOPSIS
use Net::LDAP::Control::Sort; use Net::LDAP::Constant qw(LDAP_CONTROL_SORTRESULT); use Net::LDAP::Util qw(ldap_error_name); $sort = Net::LDAP::Control::Sort->new( order => "cn -age" ); $mesg = $ldap->search( @args, control => [ $sort ]); ($resp) = $mesg->control( LDAP_CONTROL_SORTRESULT ); if ($resp) { if ($resp->result) { my $attr = $resp->attr; print "Problem sorting, ",ldap_error_name($resp->result); print " ($attr)" if $attr; print " "; } else { print "Results are sorted "; } } else { print "Server does not support sorting "; } DESCRIPTION
"Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult" is a sub-class of Net::LDAP::Control. It provides a class for manipulating the LDAP sort request control 1.2.840.113556.1.4.474 as defined in RFC-2891 A sort result control will be returned by the server in response to a search with a Server Side Sort control. If a sort result control is not returned then the user may assume that the server does not support sorting and the results are not sorted. CONSTRUCTOR ARGUMENTS
attr If "result" indicates that there was a problem with sorting and that problem was due to one of the attributes specified in the sort control. "attr" is set to the name of the attribute causing the problem. result This is the result code that describes if the sort operation was successful. If will be one of the result codes describes below. METHODS
As with Net::LDAP::Control each constructor argument described above is also available as a method on the object which will return the current value for the attribute if called without an argument, and set a new value for the attribute if called with an argument. RESULT CODES
Possible results from a sort request are listed below. See Net::LDAP::Constant for a definition of each. LDAP_SUCCESS LDAP_OPERATIONS_ERROR LDAP_TIMELIMIT_EXCEEDED LDAP_STRONG_AUTH_REQUIRED LDAP_ADMIN_LIMIT_EXCEEDED LDAP_NO_SUCH_ATTRIBUTE LDAP_INAPPROPRIATE_MATCHING LDAP_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS LDAP_BUSY LDAP_UNWILLING_TO_PERFORM LDAP_OTHER SEE ALSO
Net::LDAP, Net::LDAP::Control::Sort, Net::LDAP::Control, http://ww.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2891.txt AUTHOR
Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com> Please report any bugs, or post any suggestions, to the perl-ldap mailing list <perl-ldap@perl.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Graham Barr. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-07-21 Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult(3)