Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading in MM/DD/YY, find Day of Week Post 302909983 by Michael Stora on Monday 21st of July 2014 05:33:48 PM
Old 07-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrageous
Hint, this works in BASH
Code:
date --date="07/01/14" +%u

1-7, where 1 is monday
Make that
Code:
date --date="07/01/14" +%A

Sunday-Saturday, Where Monday is Monday Smilie

Mike

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calculating the day of the week

Hi all, I would like to calculate the day of the week using a supplied date. i.e. 20011012 = Day 5. Any ideas? Many thanks, ligs (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ligs
4 Replies

2. Programming

Function that gets the day of the week (0-6) ??

Hi , I am working at Unix system,using c lang. I need c fun which return the day of the week . For example : 0- Sunday. 1- Monday. .... 10x. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamil
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Yesterday's Day of week

I need o get yesterday's day of week but im not exactly sure. the actual name is what i want. I can do it with numbers but im not sure with words. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing First Day Of The Week?

Hi All, Our system is running on Solaris 8 and we are using US locale. By default the First Day Of Week is Sunday, is it possible for us to change it to Monday? I have googled it but found very little of use. THanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fowlerleftfoot
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find Day of the Week from the given date (Perl)?

How to find the Day of the Week of the given Date using perl? If I have a date in YYY--MM-DD format, how to find the DOW? Based on that, I need to find the following sunday. Pls help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

Get Day of Week from date

Hi All, I have date in string format 'YYYY-MM-DD'. I want to know day of the week for this date. Example. For '2005-08-21' my script should return '0' or Sunday For '2005-08-22' it should return '1' or Monday I want piece of code for HP-UX korn shell. Appreciate reply on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpapaiya
5 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to find 'Day of week' in Linux system

Hi All, I want to find a day of week for the Linux system. can some one help me on this.. Thanks in advance, Raji. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajinavaneethan
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Find Day of Week

In HP-UX the date command does not have the "-d" switch like some other *nixes do. I'm working a simple script to tell me, given the day, month and year what day of the week that falls on. Assuming valid day, month and year input (I'd perform quality checks on the input separately, but not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwuerth
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudoers for one day per week?

I have been volunteered by my boss to be the sysadmin for our production redhat server. He asked me to tighten the security to avoid mishaps like "rm -f *" that occured not long ago. Right now, we have 53 users sudo-ing into the machine and it is an audit nightmare. I am wondering if it... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the week's day

Hi All, I have the below requirement , if i give the week number for ex 41 i need to get the date for Monday and thursday for this given week. my expected output is 13/10/2014 (Monday's date) and 16/10/2014 (Thursday's date) I am using GNU LINUX . Pls help me with your thoughts. Thanks in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
7 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)