Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Discussion at work, would a router work pluging a cable in wan1 and lan1? Post 302909956 by broli on Monday 21st of July 2014 02:00:41 PM
Old 07-21-2014
Lightbulb Discussion at work, would a router work pluging a cable in wan1 and lan1?

hi all. and sorry for the random question, but this sparkled a raging flame-war at work and i want more points of view

situation

a router, with linux of some sort,
dhcp client requesting for ip in wan1 (as usual with wan ports)
dhcp server listening in lan1, and assigning ip (as usual with lan ports)
a cable connecting wan1 to lan1
a pc in lan2 (normal setup) to be able to monitor

would the router assign an ip to himself?

my personal opinion is yes, and not only that, it could be possible to ping from pc in lan2 to the wan1 ip

we dont have a spare working hardware to test this

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Will this work?

I'm trying to check if files already exist in a directory. They have the same basename (exsyctr1), but 4 different extensions. If the files exist, then I make backups of them, then copy them from another directory ($livecomp/data) to the current one ($copycomp/data). If they don't exist, just... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ypnos
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how does this work???

can someone tell me the meaning of this commnad, If you want to see a grand total of CPU time for a program when it finishes running, you can use the time command. At the Unix prompt, enter: time java myprog Replace myprog with the name of the program you are running. The following is an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ldpathak
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cant get this to work

whoami | grep < $1 | echo $1 trying to write a script that finds out who the user is and then takes occurences of that username from a file that is passed as an argument and then displays it (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: iago
6 Replies

5. Linux

How does it work?

Can anyone explain how Graphic LCD (CSTN / STN) work in Unix... From Graphic file thro driver code to display....? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nat123
1 Replies

6. Linux

Come and work for me! (UK)

********nothing too see here!!!****** (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TonyChapman
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote Unix printing to my WinXP works with no router. How can I make it work through my router?

I set up remote printing on a clients Unix server to my Windows XP USB printer. My USB printer is connected directly to my PC (no print server and no network input on printer). With my Win XP PC connected to my cable modem (without the router), i can do lp -dhp842c /etc/hosts and it prints. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmhohne
7 Replies

8. IP Networking

My router has UPnP, as do its work with ubuntu to automatically open ports

My router has UPnP,how to make it work with ubuntu to automatically open ports I try to open the following command " /sbin/iptables -I INPUT -d 0/0 -s 0/0 -p tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT" ,local only opens ,if i put the ip 192.168.1.68, it works correctly, if i`m put my external ip does not work,I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhalus
9 Replies

9. IP Networking

NIC will not work, but it did work.

I have a client machine that was built and loaded with SCO UNIX 2.1.3, (yes it is old). The machine worked fine on the closed network that I tested on in my shop. I then had to change it to the network that it would be connected to. Below is the host file, router and subnet mask file that I usually... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NC user
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

My script work on Linux but not work in sunos.

My script work on Linux but not work in sun os. my script. logFiles="sentLog1.log sentLog2.log" intial_time="0 0" logLocation="/usr/local/tomcat/logs/" sleepTime=600 failMessage=":: $(tput bold)Log not update$(tput rmso) = " successMessage="OK" arr=($logFiles)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
7 Replies
dhcpdb2conf(1M) 														   dhcpdb2conf(1M)

NAME
dhcpdb2conf - convert DHCP client database to config file parameters SYNOPSIS
index] [lan-interfaces] DESCRIPTION
The command translates a client system's DHCP database parameters (from into a set of standard configuration file parameters. This is an essential step for configuring a DHCP client system, and is invoked by upon every reboot when DHCP is active. A DHCP client database can contain settings for such items as: hostname, IP address, and default gateway (a subset of the "initial identity parameters" managed by and You can list the contents of the database to the screen, create a set of configuration staging files, or execute direct edits on existing configuration files using the values contained in the client database. Arguments: You can provide a list of lan-interfaces on which to operate, such as "lan0 lan1". If you specify no LAN interfaces, processes all entries referenced in the client's DHCP database. The entries are each defined as a unique LAN interface and a corresponding list of attributes. Options The following options determine the results of DHCP parameter processing. Print results to the screen (standard output). This is the default action if neither nor is specified. Apply directly: Using the results of the specified filters (see below), directly apply the parameter definitions to the existing configuration files, for example, to (This is how is called from Create copies: Create a set of staging files using the results of the selected filters (see below). Each parameter processed is applied to its corresponding copy of one configuration file [re]cre- ated by For example, is copied to (If the file already exists and can be written, it is overwritten; otherwise the command fails.) Once this staging file is created, the parameter being processed is applied to the newly created staging file rather than the real configuration file. The following "filter" options control which parameters are processed. The options can be combined in any manner. The default with no options is to process all attributes for each LAN interface. Hostname: Process the parameter. DNS: Process the parameter set (in Interface: Process the parameter set: Route: Process the parameter set: NIS: Process the parameter set: Time: Process the parameter. DHCP_SERVER: Prints the hostname of which has the given IP address for the interface. Options or have no effect. Option will print results only to the screen (standard output). Hostname: Do not update the parameter in configuration files. If the option is used with or then the option has no effect. Set array index for the set of related parameters for one LAN interface in the configuration files. For example, with (the default) the output would include The command can be run only by users with appropriate privileges. Configuration Files and Parameter Names The following files, and parameters in each file, can be processed by EXAMPLES List the entire contents of the DHCP client database: List only the parameter set for lan0: List the and parameter sets for lan0 and lan1: Apply the and parameter sets for lan0 to the existing configuration files: Apply all parameter sets to the existing configuration files using lan0, and set index = 1: WARNINGS
Using the option overrides any existing values which are currently set in the system's configuration files (while the option merely revises staging files, if any). FILES
The command itself. Current DHCP parameters received from a DHCP server by System configuration files that can be modified by SEE ALSO
auto_parms(1M), dhcpclient(1M), geocustoms(1M), set_parms(1M). dhcpdb2conf(1M)