Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multi line extraction based on condition Post 302909953 by RudiC on Monday 21st of July 2014 01:55:30 PM
Old 07-21-2014
You should have shown us what your attempts were. Anyhow, try
Code:
awk     '/\*\*\*/               {if (CNT>4) for (i=1;i<=CNT;i++) print T[i]; CNT=0}
                                {T[++CNT]=$0}
         END                    {if (CNT>4) for (i=1;i<=CNT;i++) print T[i]}
        '  file
Class 1A
Students absent are :
1. ABC
2. CDE
3. CPE

Class 17ACF
Students absent are :
1. ABCD
2. XYZ

EDIT: This was nice but it didn't quite satisfy your spec:
Code:
awk'(A=gsub (/\n/, "&"))>4||A==0' RS="*" ORS="*" file
Class 1A
Students absent are :
1. ABC
2. CDE
3. CPE

****************************************************************************************
Class 17ACF
Students absent are :
1. ABCD
2. XYZ

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print lines based on string match on another line and condition

Hi folks, I have a text file that I need to parse, and I cant figure it out. The source is a report breaking down softwares from various companies with some basic info about them (see source snippet below). Ultimately what I want is an excel sheet with only Adobe and Microsoft software name and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowie718
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi line document to single lines based on occurance of string

Hi Guys, I am new to awk and sed, i am working multiline document, i want to make make that document into SINGLE lines based on occurace of string "dwh". here's the sample of my problem.. dwh123 2563 4562 4236 1236 78956 12394 4552 dwh192 2656 46536 231326 65652 6565 23262 16625623... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor369
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: how to extract strings from each line based on a condition

Hi , I'm a newbie.Never worked on Unix before. I want a shell script to perform the following: I want to extract strings from each line ,based on the type of line(Nameline,Subline) and output it to another file.Below is a sample format. 2010-12-21 14:00"1"Nameline"Midterm"First Name:Jane ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: angie1234
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi-line filtering based on multi-line pattern in a file

I have a file with data records separated by multiple equals signs, as below. ========== RECORD 1 ========== RECORD 2 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 3 ========== RECORD 4 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 5 DATA LINE ========== I need to filter out all data from this file where the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Finja
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines based on line number and specified condition

Hi, I have a file like below. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9I would like to print or copied to a file based of line count in perl If I gave a condition 1 to 3 then it should iterate over above file and print 1 to 3 and then again 1 to 3 etc. output should be 1,2,3 4,5,6 7,8,9 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line based on condition in awk

In the following tab-delimited input, I am checking $7 for the keyword intronic. If that keyword is found then $2 is split by the . in each line and if the string after the digits or the +/- is >10, then that line is deleted. This will always be the case for intronic. If $7 is exonic then nothing... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with XML tag value extraction based on matching condition

sample xml file part <DocumentMinorVersion>0</DocumentMinorVersion> <DocumentVersion>1</DocumentVersion> <EffectiveDate>2017-05-30T00:00:00Z</EffectiveDate> <FollowOnFrom> <ContractRequest _LoadId="export_AJ6iAFoh6g0rE9"> <_LocalId>CRW2218451</_LocalId> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paul1234
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with XML tag value extraction based on condition

sample xml file part <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><ContractWorkspace xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" _LoadId="export_AJ6iAFmh+pQHq1" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="ContractWorkspace.xsd"> <_LocalId>CW2218471</_LocalId> <Active>true</Active> ... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with tag value extraction from xml file based on a matching condition

Hi , I have a situation where I need to search an xml file for the presence of a tag <FollowOnFrom> and also , presence of partial part of the following tag <ContractRequest _LoadId and if these 2 exist ,then extract the value from the following tag <_LocalId> which is "CW2094139". There... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a multi-line shell command output and execute logic based on result

The following is a multi-line shell command example: $cargo build Compiling prawn v0.1.0 (/Users/ag/rust/prawn) error: failed to resolve: could not find `setup_panix` in `human_panic` --> src/main.rs:14:22 | 14 | human_panic::setup_panix!(); | ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogi
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)