Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup software for AIX
Operating Systems AIX Backup software for AIX Post 302909905 by rbatte1 on Monday 21st of July 2014 09:56:18 AM
Old 07-21-2014
Welcome madmacher,

It depends what you want to be able to restore. If what you really are asking is "How do i take a backup that I can clone my server with rather than a base install and manual reconfiguration", then AIX has a lovely utility, mksysb

This will write to tape or filesystems (which you can then force out to DVD or move to a NIM server) in a way that you can boot from. The installation process then kicks in and recreates your rootvg. 3rd party software can be used to recover the contents of your other volume groups.

Here is the mksysb manual page

I hope that this helps. Apologies if I've misinterpreted the question.
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Enterprise backup software

My company has been an OmniBack shop for about 2 years now. We use it to backup both Unix and NT servers as well as a Network Appliance Filer. For the most part it has sufficed for what we do. However, management is considering changing to another backup software. We are considering either staying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Software

I am new to unix. The backup software is not working on my unix server. If I try to open the software app, the window opens then closes right away. This machine was built by and setup by someone else. Does unix have its own backup software, and is there something I can try to access the backup... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthonyp
2 Replies

3. AIX

Where i can find gmake software for AIX 5.2

Where i can find gmake software for AIX 5.2 Thanks Bala (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balamurugan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Software for UNIX systems

Hi, which software is recommended for backup of UNIX systems ( e.g. SUN, Solaris ). Backup software and database e.g. Oracle. One possibility is Networker, but license is expensive and also service contract. Best regards Dieter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhacodactylus
2 Replies

5. Solaris

backup software

dear friends, i am not a expert in solaris 10, i want to practice backup software . where from i can download backup software free . (EBS, legato or any ) please help me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sijocg
4 Replies

6. Solaris

backup software

Anyone have a recommendation for backup software either built in or third party? Simple is good. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kjons76
1 Replies

7. AIX

Linux software on AIX 5.3

Hi Team, On a client requirement, we need to install below Linux software on IBM AIX 5.3 operating system, Apache Maven 3.2.3 MySQL 5.1.73, Sonarqube 4.1.2, Apache Tomcat 7.0.42, Jenkins 1.549 Please tell us whether above tool versions are compatible to AIX 5.3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnr.simha23
4 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

Monitoring software on IBM AIX

Hi, I am looking for monitoring software like Zabbix, to run it on AIX server. I have many problems with Zabbix and MySQL installation on AIX. I dont have IBM XL C/C++ compiler. Has anyone know similar solution like Zabbix that works on IBM AIX? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackbz
11 Replies
updmv(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  updmv(8)

NAME
updmv - Moves customized, user, and inventory data files to or from storage. SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/updmv -i location /usr/bin/updmv -o location OPTIONS
Copies the Customized File Inventory (CFI) and User File Inventory (UFI) files and those files listed in these inventory files from the specified location to the /var/adm/install/update directory. Copies the CFI and UFI files and those files listed in the inventory files to the specified location. OPERANDS
Specifies the storage area of the files. This area can be a tape device, disk device, or a Remote Installation Services (RIS) server area. You replace the location operand with the name of the tape or disk device, or the server name for a RIS server area. For tape stor- age, you must use a no-rewind tape device such as /dev/ntape/tape0_d0. For disk storage, specify the complete directory path. For storage in a RIS server area, you must register the client in the server's RIS database. When you specify the server, the server name must be followed by a colon (:). DESCRIPTION
The updmv utility moves files listed in the User File Inventory (UFI) file and the Customized File Inventory (CFI) file to or from storage. The UFI file, created by the genufi utility, identifies user files created after you installed the operating system. The CFI file, created by the invsync utility, identifies files that were customized after the installation. You must have superuser privileges to run the updmv utility. During a new installation, some user files and customized files can be overwritten. You can identify and save files from the current installation environment for later integration into the new installation environment. Use the updmv utility to move these files to a stor- age area or from the storage area to the update area. To store the files listed in the CFI and UFI files, invoke the updmv utility with the -o option followed by the location operand. The sys- tem must be shut down to single-user mode before you specify the updmv utility with the -o option. To make these files accessible for integration into a new installation environment, invoke the updmv utility with the -i option followed by the location operand. The updmv utility moves the listed files to the /var/adm/install/update directory so that they can be merged into the new installation environment with the updmerge utility. EXAMPLES
Save the files to a tape device: # updmv -o /dev/ntape/tape0_d0 You must use a no-rewind tape device. Store the files on a disk device: # updmv -o /mnt/mydata Store the files in a RIS server area: # updmv -o midvale: To restore these files, replace the -o option with the -i option. Restore the files that were stored in a RIS server area: # updmv -i midvale: The restored image resides in /var/adm/install/update. RESTRICTIONS
You must have superuser privileges to run the updmv utility. The system must be in single-user mode before you invoke the updmv utility with the -o option. FILES
Customized File Inventory User File Inventory SEE ALSO
genufi(8), invsync(8), updmerge(8) updmv(8)