Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Warning while sorting : A newline character was added to the end of file Post 302909898 by DHeisenberg on Monday 21st of July 2014 09:01:21 AM
Old 07-21-2014
Warning while sorting : A newline character was added to the end of file

Hi,

I am trying to sort a csv file which has say 10 lines each line having a row size that is upto 30183 no. of COLUMNS (Row length = 30183). There is a LINE FEED (LF) at the end of each line. When I try to sort this file say, based on the second FIELD using the below command,
Code:
sort -t ',' +1 -2 file1.dat

there is a warning that appears in the command line
"Warning : A newline character was added to the end of file file1.dat"

Also, there are 10 empty lines that get added to the file file1.dat along with the sorted 10 lines data.
If for a particular line I reduce the row size to say a few 100 COLUMNS (Row size= say, 250) then this warning doesn't appear and no empty line gets added for that particular line.

I am running the script on ksh under AIX server.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Is this really because of the huge row length?

Last edited by bartus11; 07-21-2014 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: Please use [code][/code] tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extran NUll character added after end of line "\n"

Hi All, I am facing a strange situation and want to find why it is occuring . When i convert the whole line into Hexadecimal character i can find the junk value after new line (\n) . If i look in binary mode it is not visible. PLease let me know how possible the junk character is added... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append newline at the file end

Hi All, Is there any way to append a newline character at the end of a file(coma-separated file), through shell script? I need to check whether newline character exists at the end of a file, if it does not then append it. Regards, Krishna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KrishnaSaran
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a newline character at the end of filename

Hi All, I have named a file with current date,time and year as follows: month=`date | awk '{print $2}'` date=`date | awk '{print $3}'` year=`date | awk '{print $6}'` time=`date +%Hh_%Mm_%Ss'` filename="test_"$month"_"$date"_"$year"_"$time".txt" > $filename The file is created with a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check newline character in file?

Hi All, I have file with only one record,always be only one record. as like below. if that line contains newline end of the line..no need to add, if not just add the new line character. END OF FILE. ROW COUNT: 7 Please help me.. Thanks, (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo to file using SH without adding newline character

Hello! I am able to do this in bash, using: echo -ne HELLO > file.txt and then, 'HELLO' is written into file.txt without the newline character to be added in the end of the file. How is this possible to be done using sh instead of bash? If I try something similar is SH, then inside... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add newline character at end of file?

Hi All, I have following piece of code in UNIX C Shell script and I want to add one more command which can add newline at the end of file only if there is no newline character exists. foreach file (`ls $dd_PLAYCARD_EDI_IN`) if ( -f $dd_PLAYCARD_EDI_IN/${file} ) then cat -n... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnrohit2k
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending newline character End of File

Hi Gurus, Need help. I'm a beginner in Unix. I have a requirement, need to add or append newline (\n) character in file. Sample Data: 1|Main|Test|~# 2|Main|Hello|~# 3|Main|Unix|~# 4|Main|File|~#Output: 1|Main|Test|~# 2|Main|Hello|~# 3|Main|Unix|~# 4|Main|File|~#\n -- append only... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gouri Solleti
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for removing newline character from file

Hi below is my file. cat input.dat 101,abhilash,1000 102,prave en,2000 103,partha,4 000 10 4,naresh,5000 (its just a example file) and my output should be: 101,abhilash,1000 102,praveen,2000 103,partha,4000 104,naresh,5000 below is my code cat input.dat |tr -d '\n' >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilash_nakka
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

No newline at end of file

Hello all, I have maybe a simple Problem - but I do not know to handle it. All what I want, is to write a line to file without a newline at the end. It works with "echo -n" for all lines, but not for the last one. At the end of the file is always a "0a" (hex) My small script: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: API
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If one of the file names is the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Input fields are normally separated spaces or tabs; output fields by space. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are discarded. The following options are recognized, with POSIX syntax. -a n In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -v n Like -a, omitting output for paired lines. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -1 m -2 m Join on the mth field of file1 or file2. -jn m Archaic equivalent for -n m. -ofields Each output line comprises the designated fields. The comma-separated field designators are either 0, meaning the join field, or have the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. Archaic usage allows separate arguments for field designators. -tc Use character c as the only separator (tab character) on input and output. Every appearance of c in a line is significant. EXAMPLES
sort /etc/passwd | join -t: -1 1 -a 1 -e "" - bdays Add birthdays to the /etc/passwd file, leaving unknown birthdays empty. The layout of /adm/users is given in passwd(5); bdays con- tains sorted lines like tr : ' ' </etc/passwd | sort -k 3 3 >temp join -1 3 -2 3 -o 1.1,2.1 temp temp | awk '$1 < $2' Print all pairs of users with identical userids. SOURCE
/src/cmd/join.c SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b -ky,y; with -t, the sequence is that of sort -tx -ky,y. One of the files must be randomly accessible. JOIN(1)