Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting specific files from multiple .tgz files Post 302909691 by jfern on Friday 18th of July 2014 10:42:55 AM
Old 07-18-2014
Extracting specific files from multiple .tgz files

Hey,

I have number of .tgz files and want to extract the file with the ending *results.txt from each one.

I have tried

Code:
for file in *.tgz; do tar --wildcards -zxf $file *results.txt; done

as well as

Code:
list=$(ls *.tgz)
for i in $list; do tar --wildcards -zxvf $i *.results.txt; done

without results.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is extracting specific files from a zip file possible?

If a zip file contains several zip files, but if the file names of the files needed are known, is there a variation of the unzip command that will allow those few (individual) files to be extracted? --- Example: Zip file name: zip.zip unzip -l zip.zip will display file01, file02, file03, etc.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create individual tgz files from a set of files

Hello I have a ton of files in a directory of the format app.log.2008-04-04 I'd like to run a command that would archive each of these files as app.log.2008-04-04.tgz I tried a few combinations of find with xargs etc but no luck. Thanks Amit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitg
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to reduce multiple files into a specific number of files

Can anyone please let me know how do I reduce files into a specific number of files by cat'ing files? For example: 15 files must be reduced to 1 or 5 or 9 (possible values 1 to 14) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aryanbelank
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting specific files from a tar file in HP-UX

I have tried: tar -xfv mytarfile.tar archive/tabv/* tar -xfv mytarfile.tar --wildcards 'archive/tabv/*' tar -xf mytarfile.tar -v --wildcards 'archive/tabv/*' tar -xfv mytarfile.tar --wildcards --no-anchored 'archive/tabv/*' tar -xfv mytarfile.tar --wildcards `archive/tabv/*` and none... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zapper222
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting/condensing text from multiple files to multiples files

Hi Everyone, I'm really new to all this so I'm really hoping someone can help. I have a directory with ~1000 lists from which I want to extract lines from and write to new files. For simplicity lets say they are shopping lists and I want to write out the lines corresponding to apples to a new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: born2phase
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting information from multiple files

Hello there, I am trying to extract (string) information ( a list words) from 4 files and then put the results into 1 file. Currently I am doing this using grep -f list.txt file1 . and repeat the process for the other 3 files. The reasons i am doing that (a) I do know how to code (b) each file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: houkto
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting columns falling within specific ranges for multiple files

Hi, I need to create weekly files from daily records stored in individual monthly filenames from 1999-2010. my sample file structure is like the ones below: daily record stored per month: 199901.xyz, 199902.xyz, 199903.xyz, 199904.xyz ...199912.xyz records inside 199901.xyz (original data... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting non multiple files via script

Hi, Can somebody help me? I am testing a demo with the given function PATH525="/uscms/home/emily/READme/extra/data/" TEMP=temp FileName=DataFileName CopyFiles() { # PATHNAME="$paths" ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from specific rows and columns from multiple csv files

I have a series of csv files in the following format eg file1 Experiment Name,XYZ_07/28/15, Specimen Name,Specimen_001, Tube Name, Control, Record Date,7/28/2015 14:50, $OP,XYZYZ, GUID,abc, Population,#Events,%Parent All Events,10500, P1,10071,95.9 Early Apoptosis,1113,11.1 Late... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux read specific content file from tar.gz files without extracting

hello i wish to write the result of these below conditions in a file: 1. in a specific folder, i have many tar.gz files. 2. each tar.gz file contains ".dat" file in sub folders. 3. i wish to get the full path of these .dat files, if i find in it a specific word ("ERROR24"). 4. all this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyjames9
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)