Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check if the file is empty or has blank space.? Post 302909681 by hicksd8 on Friday 18th of July 2014 08:55:02 AM
Old 07-18-2014
An empty file will show a size of 0.

However, it depends what (script?) wrote the file and whether it placed a single character (eg, a carriage return or some other unprintable character) in the file before closing it.

Can you use a hex editor or the like to see what that one character really is?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check weather file is blank or not?

Dear All I want to do following task. Kindly suggest. In my script every hour one file is genarated. say xyz.txt. Now if this file contain some data then i want to do task A and if file is blank then i want to do nothing. Kindly help me to do this. regards jaydeep (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check if a file is empty?

Hi Masters..... I have problem !!! I need to check number of records in a file and if it is zero or file is empty i need to do some task. if ; then echo "File s empty" else echo "Not empty" fi so how to check this condition. I used wc -l < filename.txt => 1 for zero records same result... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shreekrishnagd
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to check if file is empty or not and return a non zero value

Hi All, I am new to unix worldd . I need to check a file1 if its empty or not. If its empty then return a non zero value say 99 could you pls let me know the perl script for this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if file is empty

How do I check if a file is empty in a sh script I want to test in my shell script if the output file is empty and if it is do one thing and if it isnt empty do another? any ideas? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stolz
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a text file is empty or not (using ls -s)

Hello, I want to make a script which says if a text file is empty or not. I tried two ways of making it, but I have problems with both of them. Now I think that the better way is the ls -s solution (considering that an empty text file has a 0 weight, because "cat file.txt" fails when file is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Link_
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete the last empty/blank line of the text file

Hi All, I have a file.txt which seems like having three lines. wc -l file.txt 3 file.txt In fact, once it is open in text editor, this file has four lines where the last line is empty. how can i delete this last empty line of the file.txt? I tried the codes below so far but they... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senayasma
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank space in file

TT0000013101257 | JCJMMUJMMUB018 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sususa
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Empty file check

Hi gurus , I have two files and i want to perform different action based on the condition if both or either is empty If then Do something elif then do something elif then do something else do something fi I have tried the below bt its not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check Blank Lines, Blank Records and Junk Characters in a File

Hi All Need Help I have a file with the below format (ABC.TXT) : ®¿¿ABCDHEJJSJJ|XCBJSKK01|M|7348974982790 HDFLJDKJSKJ|KJALKSD02|M|7378439274898 KJHSAJKHHJJ|LJDSAJKK03|F|9898982039999 (cont......) I need to write a script where it will check for : blank lines (between rows,before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to identify blank space in a file

Hello, I have a dictionary of over 400,000 words with the following structure source=target The database contains single words as well as phrases. To train the data, I need only mappings with out a space i.e. where both source and target do not have any space in between. I use Ultraedit as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
4 Replies
FBB::mlm(3bobcat)                                             OFoldStream manipulator                                            FBB::mlm(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::mlm - Manipulator modifying left margins of OFoldStream objects SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstream> or #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
The mlm class implements a manipulator that can be inserted into OFoldStream objects to modify the stream's left margin by a requested amount. The request cannot result in a negative left margin value. If a negative left margin would be the arithmetic result of the request then left margin 0 will silently be used. Depending on the tab-setting of the OFoldStream the inserted value represents the number of blank space characters or the number of tab-characters that will be added to the left margin. The request will be processed at the next newline character or std::flush or std::endl manipulator that is inserted into the stream. If a line is still empty once an mlm object and a flush manipulator are inserted into the stream then the new left margin will be effective at the next word inserted into that line (cf., the example section below) A bad_cast exception is thrown when the manipulator is inserted into an ostream that is not using a OFoldStreambuf buffer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- CONSTRUCTOR
o mlm(int addValue): The standard copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
There are no public or protected member functions in this class. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ofoldstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStream out(cout, 0, 80); out << "hello world (left margin is 0)" << mlm(4) << " " "this uses a 4 character wide left margin " << mlm(-10) << flush << "left margin -6 changed to 0, active on this line "; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/mlm - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), manipulators(3bobcat), lm(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)