Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Script should check and run only on Sunday Post 302909635 by bakunin on Friday 18th of July 2014 03:07:23 AM
Old 07-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanz143
thats a bit techy for me,
The principle is quite simple: programming means building blocks, from which to build bigger blocks - you build bricks, then walls from bricks, then houses from walls, etc.. If you take care that the brick's function is not depending on assumptions about the wall or the house it is going to be used in then the brick is much more versatile.

For the same reason you build functions in a way that they do not make assumptions about the program they are called from. This way you make your functions much more versatile.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

check in unix shell script so that no one is able to run the script manually

I want to create an automated script which is called by another maually executed script. The condition is that the no one should be able to manually execute the automated script. The automated script can be on the same machine or it can be on a remote machine. Can any one suggest a check in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adi_bang76
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to check for Saturday or Sunday

Hi , I have a date parameter passed in YYYYMMDD format , how can I check whether it is Sat or Sun on Solaris box , as we can do the same easily on linux box by using date -d YYYYMMDD '+a' . Any pointres will be really helpful . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: harpreetanand
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if script run by a user directly or via other scripts

Hi, i have a script 'a.sh' that should be called only by certain scripts like b.sh, c.sh Inside a.sh, how can i determine 1) if this script was run directly from command prompt (or scheduler) 2) if called via other scripts? Is there an easy way to get parent process name (not just pid),... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrinu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab job to run every sunday

Hello, I wanted to run one of my shell script for every sunday at 5PM. Here is the crontab entry i am using.. 00 17 * * 0 /inventory/update.sh > /inventory/update.log 2>&1 The job is not kicking on sunday at the specified time.. Am i missing anthing? Any help is appreciated... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to check if empty files are created and delete them and run a shell script

I have a local linux machine in which the files are dumped by a remote ubuntu server. If the process in remote server has any problem then empty files are created in local machine. Is there any way using perl script to check if the empty files are being created and delete them and then run a shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hussa1n
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run script on every second sunday

I was to schedule a script in a crontab after every 15 days specically on every 2nd Sunday. I know that i can schedule on basis of weekdays, but can it be done by skipping in between???:wall: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: masquerer
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Autosys job run on Sunday

Hi, I need to create a autosys job which will run on every sunday at 7:30 AM NY time for each 10 min interval of time. days_of_week: su start_mins: 0,10,20,30,40,50 run_window:"07:30" Is it fine? Please help Thanks, Anup (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run php and check value in txt

Hello, I'm looking for a bash script, that I will run from cron, that executes a php script. After 5 minutes that the php script is executed, the bash script, must check a value in a text file /public_html/check.txt if check.txt = 0 the script will stop, if check.txt is not = 0 it must... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andymc1
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if script is run via cron or manual=command line?

Hi all, I have a script that can be run via cron or via the command line. Is there any way that I can place something on the script to be able to distinguish/differentiate whether the script was run via a user in the command line or whether it was run from the cron? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script on every last sunday of the month

Hi ALL, I have been testing this script to run for every last Sunday of the month,looks like month which have 5 sunday (july 2016 )is not passing this and failing every time. Here is what I am using, current_date=31 echo " CURRENT DAY -> $current_date" if ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
2 Replies
Test::Script::Run(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    Test::Script::Run(3pm)

NAME
Test::Script::Run - test the script with run SYNOPSIS
use Test::Script::Run; # customized names of bin dirs, default is qw/bin sbin script ./; @Test::Script::Run::BIN_DIRS = qw/bin/; run_ok( 'app_name', [ app's args ], 'you_app runs ok' ); my ( $return, $stdout, $stderr ) = run_script( 'app_name', [ app's args ] ); run_output_matches( 'app_name', [app's args], [ 'out line 1', 'out line 2' ], [ 'err line 1', 'err line 2' ], 'run_output_matches' ); run_output_matches_unordered( 'app_name', [ app's args ], [ 'out line 2', 'out line 1' ], [ 'err line 2', 'err line 1' ], 'run_output_matches_unordered' ); DESCRIPTION
This module exports some subs to help test and run scripts in your dist's bin/ directory, if the script path is not absolute. Nearly all the essential code is stolen from Prophet::Test, we think subs like those should live below "Test::" namespace, that's why we packed them and created this module. FUNCTIONS
run_script($script, $args, $stdout, $stderr) Runs the script $script as a perl script, setting the @INC to the same as our caller. $script is the name of the script to be run (such as 'prophet'). $args is a reference to an array of arguments to pass to the script. $stdout and $stderr are both optional; if passed in, they will be passed to IPC::Run3's run3 subroutineA as its $stdout and $stderr args. Otherwise, this subroutine will create scalar references to pass to run3 instead (which are treated as strings for STDOUT/STDERR to be written to). Returns run3's return value and, if no $stdout and $stderr were passed in, the STDOUT and STDERR of the script that was run. run_ok($script, $args, $msg) Runs the script, checking that it didn't error out. $script is the name of the script to be run (e.g. 'prophet'). $args is an optional reference to an array of arguments to pass to the script when it is run. $msg is an optional message to print with the test. If $args is not specified, you can still pass in a $msg. Returns nothing of interest. run_not_ok($script, $args, $msg) opposite of run_ok get_perl_cmd($script, @ARGS) Returns a list suitable for passing to "system", "exec", etc. If you pass $script then we will search upwards for it in @BIN_DIRS is_script_output($scriptname @args, @stdout_match, @stderr_match, $msg) Runs $scriptname, checking to see that its output matches. $args is an array reference of args to pass to the script. $stdout_match and $stderr_match are references to arrays of expected lines. $msg is a string message to display with the test. $stderr_match and $msg are optional. (As is $stdout_match if for some reason you expect your script to have no output at all. But that would be silly, wouldn't it?) Allows regex matches as well as string equality (lines in $stdout_match and $stderr_match may be Regexp objects). run_output_matches($script, $args, $exp_stdout, $exp_stderr, $msg) A wrapper around is_script_output that also checks to make sure the test runs without throwing an exception. run_output_matches_unordered($script, $args, $exp_stdout, $exp_stderr, $msg) This subroutine has exactly the same functionality as run_output_matches, but doesn't impose a line ordering when comparing the expected and received outputs. last_script_stdout return last script's stdout last_script_stderr return last script's stderr last_script_exit_code return last script's exit code DEPENDENCIES
Test::More, Test::Exception, IPC::Run3, File::Basename, File::Spec BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
No bugs have been reported. AUTHOR
sunnavy "<sunnavy@bestpractical.com>" LICENCE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2009 Best Practical Solutions. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2011-01-07 Test::Script::Run(3pm)