Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to change a line of text to a comma delimited string? Post 302909621 by newbie_01 on Friday 18th of July 2014 01:33:52 AM
Old 07-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
this is four lines not one line:
Code:
user1
user2
user3
user4

If it is in a file try awk :
Code:
awk '{for( i = 1; i < NF ;  i++ ) { printf("%s," $(i) ) }; print $(i) }' myfile > newfile

- Ooops, sorry yes lines of text into a comma delimited string

- BTW, how do I make it like every nth line, so for example, if I have a line of text like below:

Code:
line01
line02
line03
line04
line05
line06
line07
line08
line09
line10

I want it to be

Code:
line01, line02
line03, line04
line05, line06
line07, line08
line09, line10

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing comma delimited text file

I need to delete a set of files in certain directories if there're older than a certain number of days. So I have a text file, with each line containing the directory & number of days. The format is like this: dirA,5 dirB,7 How do I write script to iteratively parse this text file & delete... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chengwei
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do you delete multiple text from a comma delimited file

I would like to know code that will delete multiple text from a comma delimited file. For example, how would the comma delimited file below delete the word 'PEST' in Perl language (previously an excel file that was converted to a csv and the last column was PEST): 1, 2,43,34, bosx,PEST 1,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dolo21taf
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pattern matching with comma delimited text

Hi, I have two files that I need to match patterns with and the second file has comma delimited rows of data that match but I'm having trouble getting a script to work that gives me the match output to these sets : file 1: PADG_05255 PADG_06803 PADG_07148 PADG_02849 PADG_02886... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: greptastic
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to convert comma delimited files to semi colon delimited

Hi All, I need a unix script to convert .csv files to .skv files (changing a comma delimited file to a semi colon delimited file). I am a unix newbie and so don't know where to start. The script will be scheduled using cron and needs to convert each .csv file in a particular folder to a .skv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CarpKing
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i comma-delimited last field in line?

Awk gurus, Greatly appreciate for any kind of assistance from the expert community Input line: abc,11.22.33.44,xyz,7-8-9-10 pqr,111.222.333.444,wxy,1-2-3 def,22.33.44.55,stu,7-8 used the gsub function below but it changes all of the "-" delimiter: awk 'gsub("-",",")' Desired... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert a comma delimited string to records or lines of text?

Hi, I am not sure if I've posted this question before. Anyway, I previously asked about converting lines of text into a comma delimited string. Now I am needing to do the other way around ... :( :o Can anyone advise how is this possible? Example as below: Converting records/lines to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change comma separated line to horizontal

I am trying to change a file that looks like this: file, announcement,date, server, server01, server02, server06, file04, rec01, rec04, rec03... etc into a vertical file like this: file announcement date server server01 server02 server06 The file does not have to be sorted... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add the line to previous line in | delimited text?

Hi All, I am new to Unix and I have one challenge and below are the details. I have pipe delimited text file in that data has span into multiple lines instead of single line. Sample data. Data should be like below for entire file. 41|216|398555|77|provided complete NP outcome data ... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narasimhasss
21 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help/Advise please for converting space delimited string variable to comma delimited with quote

Hi, I am wanting to create a script that will construct a SQL statement based on a a space delimited string that it read from a config file. Example of the SQL will be For example, it will read a string like "AAA BBB CCC" and assign to a variable named IN_STRING. I then concatenate... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need help on an old post - How to convert a comma delimited string to records or lines of text?

Hi, Apologies in advance to the moderator if I am posting this the wrong way. I've searched and found the solution to an old post but as it is a very old post, I don't see an option to update it with additional question. The question I have is in relation to the following post: How to... (6 Replies)
6 Replies
PDF2TXT(1)							  PDFMiner Manual							PDF2TXT(1)

NAME
pdf2txt - extracts text contents of PDF files SYNOPSIS
pdf2txt [option...] file... DESCRIPTION
pdf2txt extracts text contents from a PDF file. It extracts all the text that is to be rendered programmatically, i.e. text represented as ASCII or Unicode strings. It cannot recognize text drawn as images that would require optical character recognition. It also extracts the corresponding locations, font names, font sizes, writing direction (horizontal or vertical) for each text portion. You need to provide a password for protected PDF documents when its access is restricted. You cannot extract any text from a PDF document which does not have extraction permission. OPTIONS
-o file Specifies the output file name. The default is to print the extracted contents to standand output in text format. -p pageno[,pageno,...] Specifies the comma-separated list of the page numbers to be extracted. Page numbers start at one. By default, it extracts text from all the pages. -c codec Specifies the output codec. -t type Specifies the output format. The following formats are currently supported: text Text format. This is the default. html HTML format. It is not recommended. xml XML format. It provides the most information. tag "Tagged PDF" format. A tagged PDF has its own contents annotated with HTML-like tags. pdf2txt tries to extract its content streams rather than inferring its text locations. Tags used here are defined in the PDF Reference, Sixth Edition[1] (S10.7 "Tagged PDF"). -D writing-mode Specifies the writing mode of text outputs: lr-tb Left-to-right, top-to-bottom. tb-rl Top-to-bottom, right-to-left. auto Determine writing mode automatically -M char-margin, -L line-margin, -W word-margin These are the parameters used for layout analysis. In an actual PDF file, text portions might be split into several chunks in the middle of its running, depending on the authoring software. Therefore, text extraction needs to splice text chunks. In the figure below, two text chunks whose distance is closer than the char-margin is considered continuous and get grouped into one. Also, two lines whose distance is closer than the line-margin is grouped as a text box, which is a rectangular area that contains a "cluster" of text portions. Furthermore, it may be required to insert blank characters (spaces) as necessary if the distance between two words is greater than the word-margin, as a blank between words might not be represented as a space, but indicated by the positioning of each word. Each value is specified not as an actual length, but as a proportion of the length to the size of each character in question. The default values are char-margin = 1.0, line-margin = 0.3, and W = 0.2, respectively. -n Suppress layout analysis. -A Force layout analysis for all the text strings, including text contained in figures. -V Enable detection of vertical writing. -s scale Specifies the output scale. This option can be used in HTML format only. -m n Specifies the maximum number of pages to extract. By default, all the pages in a document are extracted. -P password Provides the user password to access PDF contents. -d Increase the debug level. EXAMPLES
Extract text as an HTML file whose filename is output.html: $ pdf2txt -o output.html samples/naacl06-shinyama.pdf Extract a Japanese HTML file in vertical writing: $ pdf2txt -c euc-jp -D tb-rl -o output.html samples/jo.pdf Extract text from an encrypted PDF file: $ pdf2txt -P mypassword -o output.txt secret.pdf SEE ALSO
dumppdf(1) AUTHORS
Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> Wrote this manual page for the Debian system. Yusuke Shinyama <yusuke@cs.nyu.edu> Author of PDFMiner and its original HTML documentation. NOTES
1. PDF Reference, Sixth Edition http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/pdf_reference_1-7.pdf pdf2txt 08/24/2011 PDF2TXT(1)