Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Du -sh command taking time to calculate the big size files Post 302909527 by Nats on Thursday 17th of July 2014 01:07:24 PM
Old 07-17-2014
Hammer & Screwdriver Du -sh command taking time to calculate the big size files

Hi ,

My linux server is taking more time to calculate big size from long time.

* i am accessing server through ssh
* commands
Code:
# - du -sh *
#du -sh * | sort -n | grep G

Please guide me for fast way to find big size directories under to / partition

Thanks

Last edited by Scott; 07-17-2014 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculate size of some files

Hi, 1-I want to calculate the size of all files which are generated during last month in a directory. How can I do that ? Of cours, I find them by : $ls -l | grep jun but how to calculate the sum of their size ? 2- the same but for all files generated last month and before that. many thanks... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script working for small size files but not for big size files.

Hi, I have one file stat. Stat file contents are as follows: for example. H50768020040913,00260100,507680,13,0000000643,0000000643,00000,0000 H50769520040808,00260100,507695,13,0000000000,0000000000,00000,0000 H50770620040611,00260100,507706,13,0000000000,0000000000,00000,0000 Now i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davidpreml
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in extracting multiple files and taking average at same time

Hi, I have 20 files which have respective 50 lines with different values. I would like to process each line of the 50 lines in these 20 files one at a time and do an average of 3rd field ($3) of these 20 files. This will be output to an output file. Instead of using join to generate whole... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gref -f taking long time for big file

grep -f taking long time to compare for big files, any alternate for fast check I am using grep -f file1 file2 to check - to ckeck dups/common rows prsents. But my files contains file1 contains 5gb and file 2 contains 50 mb and its taking such a long time to compare the files. Do we have any... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkskumar
10 Replies

5. Solaris

calculate sum size of files by date (arg list too long)

Hi, I wanted a script to find sum of files for a particular date, below is my script ls -lrt *.req | nawk '$6 == "Aug"' | nawk '$7 == "1"'| awk '{sum = sum + $5} END {print sum}' However, i get the error below /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long How do i fix that. Many thanks before. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate age of a file | calculate time difference

Hello, I'm trying to create a shell script (#!/bin/sh) which should tell me the age of a file in minutes... I have a process, which delivers me all 15 minutes a new file and I want to have a monitoring script, which sends me an email, if the present file is older than 20 minutes. To do... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: worm
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to calculate the size of files

Dear all, Please help me to write a script that can calculate the size of files. For example: I have a directory which contain thousands of files. I need to know the size of files that their name begin with abc_123 Thank all!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hainguyen1402
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

command taking lot of time to execute

Hi, I am running the following command, and it tries to delete some dn from ldap, however, it takes lot of time before it finally request LDAP server to delete it. I am trying to find why it is taking lot of time. Could you anyone help me in this regard. I have copies the pstack output, and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_prince
3 Replies

9. Programming

[c] How to calculate size of the file from size of the buffer?

Hi, Can I find size of the file from size of the buffer written? nbECRITS = fwrite(strstr(data->buffer, ";") + 1, sizeof(char), (data->buffsize) - LEN_NOM_FIC, fic_sortie); Thank You :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezee
1 Replies
xpamacros(3)							SAORD Documentation						      xpamacros(3)

NAME
XPAMacros - XPA Server Callback Macros SYNOPSIS
#include <xpa.h> xpa_class, xpa_name, xpa_method, xpa_cmdfd, xpa_datafd, xpa_sendian, xpa_cendian DESCRIPTION
Server routines have access to information about the XPA being called via the following macros (each of which takes the xpa handle as an argument): macro explanation ------ ----------- xpa_class class of this xpa xpa_name name of this xpa xpa_method method string (inet or local connect info) xpa_cmdfd fd of command socket xpa_datafd fd of data socket xpa_sendian endian-ness of server ("little" or "big") xpa_cendian endian-ness of client ("little" or "big" The argument to these macros is the call_data pointer that is passed to the server procedure. This pointer should be type case to XPA in the server routine: XPA xpa = (XPA)call_data; The most important of these macros is xpa_datafd(). A server routine that sets "fillbuf=false" in receive_mode or send_mode can use this macro to perform I/O directly to/from the client, rather than using buf. The xpa_cendian and xpa_sendian macros can be used together to determine if the data transferred from the client is byte swapped with respect to the server. Values for these macros are: "little", "big", or "?". In order to do a proper conversion, you still need to know the format of the data (i.e., byte swapping is dependent on the size of the data element being converted). SEE ALSO
See xpa(7) for a list of XPA help pages version 2.1.14 June 7, 2012 xpamacros(3)