Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Post 302909344 by vivek d r on Wednesday 16th of July 2014 08:30:40 AM
Old 07-16-2014
sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line...

here is some basic execution flow..
Code:
the line number is 412
lineNo=412

Now i have a line coming as output from another command. for simplicity lets say i am
displaying contents of a file at particular line number

Code:
cat fileName.txt |  sed -n ${lineNo}p  | some sed replacement command goes here | "HERE SHOULD BE MY SED COMMAND which should replace the line 412 with the input got from previous command.

Is it feasible?

If not is there a way to output the command to a file(which obviously will have only one line) then take this as input and replace it at line 412 in the original fileName.txt file.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Put the attached text file as post.

Last edited by zaxxon; 07-16-2014 at 10:38 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pipe output to script as command line argument

i want to redirect output of one command as the command line argument of another script for example, say i would run this command: find . -xdev -type f -size +4096 -exec ls -al {} \; i wan to be able to do something like: echo +4096 | find . -xdev -type f -size ****** -exec... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMTheNachoMan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search and replace a particular line in file with sed command

Hello, I have a file and in that, I want to search for a aprticular word and then replace another word in the same line with something else. Example: In file abc.txt, there is a line <host oa_var="s_hostname">test</host> I want to search with s_hostname text and then replace test with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sshah1001
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop with sed command to replace line with sed command in it

Okay, title is kind of confusion, but basically, I have a lot of scripts on a server that I need to replace a ps command, however, the new ps command I'm trying to replace the current one with pipes to sed at one point. So now I am attempting to create another script that replaces that line. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command works from cmd line to standard output but will not write to file

Hi all .... vexing problem here ... I am using sed to replace some special characters in a .txt file: sed -e 's/_<ED>_/_355_/g;s/_<F3>_/_363_/g;s/_<E1>_/_341_/g' filename.txt This command replaces <ED> with í , <F3> with ó and <E1> with á. When I run the command to standard output, it works... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crumplecrap
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a line with modified line in same file

i have few lines in a file... i am reading them in a while loop so a particular line is held is $line1.. consider a modified line is held in $line2.... i want to replace $line1 with $line2 in the same file... how to do it..? i have come up till the below code sed "s/$line1/$line2/g" tmpfile.sql... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a word with new line and /

Hi, I have been trying to replace the key word "SQL> spool off " with "/ show errors" with out double quotes in all the files in a directory. above show erros should be displayed next line Could you please help me how to do that. I have tried something like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointers
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first number of each line in a file with another number

Hi, I have a set of files in a directory that I have to read and replace the first occurrence of a number with another dummy number. This is what I have so far but it does not seem to work. The files have lot of other data in each row and each data element is separated by ,@, for file in... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpioraghu
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a field with line number in file

I am working on a script to convert bank data to a csv file. I have the format done - columns etc. The final piece of the puzzle is to change the second field (after the R) of every line to reflect its' line number in the file. I am stumped. I can use awk on each line but need help looping through... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Melah Gindi
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a number in the last line of a delimited file.

Hi all, I am fairly new to UNIX and I was wondering if you could provide me with some help! Lets say i have a file as below : Line 1 Line 2 Line 3 ABC|12|4|2 Now the number 4 in bold, this number will represent the number of row there is in the file excluding the header and footer... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stinza
10 Replies
REPLACE(1)						       MySQL Database System							REPLACE(1)

NAME
       replace - a string-replacement utility

SYNOPSIS
       replace arguments

DESCRIPTION
       The replace utility program changes strings in place in files or on the standard input.

Note
	   The replace utility is deprecated as of MySQL 5.7.18 and is removed in MySQL 8.0.

Invoke replace in one of the following ways:

shell> replace from to [from to] ... -- file_name [file_name] ...
	   shell> replace from to [from to] ... < file_name

from represents a string to look for and to represents its replacement. There can be one or more pairs of strings.

Use the -- option to indicate where the string-replacement list ends and the file names begin. In this case, any file named on the command
       line is modified in place, so you may want to make a copy of the original before converting it.	replace prints a message indicating which
       of the input files it actually modifies.

If the -- option is not given, replace reads the standard input and writes to the standard output.

replace uses a finite state machine to match longer strings first. It can be used to swap strings. For example, the following command swaps
       a and b in the given files, file1 and file2:

shell> replace a b b a -- file1 file2 ...

replace supports the following options.

o   -?, -I

Display a help message and exit.

o   -#debug_options

Enable debugging.

o   -s

Silent mode. Print less information what the program does.

o   -v

Verbose mode. Print more information about what the program does.

o   -V

Display version information and exit.

COPYRIGHT
       Copyright (C) 1997, 2018, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
       published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License.

This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
       MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
       Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.

SEE ALSO
       For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online
       at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/.

AUTHOR
       Oracle Corporation (http://dev.mysql.com/).

MySQL 5.7							    06/07/2018								REPLACE(1)