Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Identify failed file transfers during SFTP Post 302909329 by Aviktheory11 on Wednesday 16th of July 2014 07:17:16 AM
Old 07-16-2014
Identify failed file transfers during SFTP

Hi All,

I have a pretty demanding requirement for an SFTP script I have been trying to put together.

I have nearly 100 files (all with the names staring with T_PROD) generated in my local server daily. I need to transfer each of these files to a remote server via SFTP (that's a client demand, can't use SSH or others). Since these files are pretty big (approx 10 MB each), we need to have a check on succesful transfer of each of the files. In case a file is not transferred properly, we will be trying to re-send the file, at max 3 times.

Since it's SFTP, we're not allowed to execute shell commands in the remote server. I tried creating the md5sum hash values, but stuck thereafter. How do we identify the exact files those failed the sanity check, and try re-sending them?

A barebone structure of the script is as below

Code:
#!/bin/bash
. ./params # parameter file

cd output

sftp ${FTPUSER}@${FTPSERVER} << EOF

cd $FTPFOLDER
put T_PROD*
!md5sum * > chklist.md5

bye
EOF

I'm running this script in Linux kernel 2.6.39

Do let me know if any further information is required.

- Best,

Avik

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SFTP error Assertion failed

I get this error when I try to FTP from an HP Alpha Server to a UNIX box. FATAL: BUILD13$:SSHFC_TRANSFER.C;1:1835 SshFCTransfer (function name unavailable) Assertion failed: tdata ->current_dest_file->attributes->flags & 0x00000004 the sftp /put fails just before it does the actual transfer.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NoelSacay
2 Replies

2. AIX

SFTP Failed---Request for subsystem 'sftp' failed on channel 0

Hi, While I am trying SFTP my machine to another unix machine , it was working fine till 10 min back. But now i am getting the below error "Request for subsystem 'sftp' failed on channel 0" Could you please someone help me to solve or analyise the root cause... Cheers:b:, Mahiban (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahiban
0 Replies

3. AIX

to identify failed pv

Hi friends,.... am sindhiya, i have joined as AIX level 1 support. help me to identify the failed pv in vg which has some 4 physical volumes? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sindhiya
2 Replies

4. AIX

AIX ftp/sftp script monitor to failed logins

Hi All, Any idea on how to write a script on AIX 5.3 to monitor ftp or sftp login failed. Thanks and more power, Itik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Identify failed disk in Linux RAID

Good Evening, 2 years ago, I set up an Ubuntu file-server for a friend, who is a photograph amateur. Basically, the server offers a software RAID-5 that can be accessed remotely from a MAC. Unfortunately, I didn't labeled the hard drives (i.e. which physical drive corresponds to the /dev/sdX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loic Domaigne
2 Replies

6. Programming

Automatic SFTP transfers using OpenSSH on Windows and C#

I would like to create console application in c# to automate the process of downloading some files from a SFTP server to my local hard drive at a set time each week/day. SFTP Server installed OpenSSH for windows and client machine also. Any ideas how I could do such a task? or sample code. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sufiiyan
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find whether a particular command has failed inside an sftp script?

hi, how can i know whether a command inside an sftp script has failed or not? i have a sftp expect script #!/usr/bin/expect spawn /usr/bin/sftp abc@ftp.abc.com expect "sftp>" send "cd dir\r" expect "sftp>" send "mput abc.txt\r" expect "sftp>" send "mput def.xls\r" expect "sftp>"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pls Help: SFTP Error Handling for transfers

I am working on a shell script where after making sftp connection to a remote server the file are being transferred. The problem is how to capture return code for the file which is missing at the remote location. I have tried to capture the return code which return value of "0" even the transfer of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khan28
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Failed to identify flash rom on Sunfire V240 running Solaris 10

Hi Guys, I have performed OBP & ALOM upgrade on V240 system. One of my system, running Solaris 10, having issue to identify flash rom during ALOM 1.6.10 version upgrade (OBP upgraded to latest one). May I know what the reason of this error and how can I fix it so I can upgrade ALOM using... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: myrpthidesis
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sftp transfers file partially

Hi ALL, I have a shell script using except : #!/bin/bash HOST=abc.com USER=abc PASSWORD=123 SOURCE_FILE=file1.zip TARGET_DIR=/A/B/C /usr/bin/expect <<- EOF spawn /usr/bin/sftp $USER@$HOST expect "password:" send "$PASSWORD\r" expect "sftp>" send "cd patch1\n" ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asad
11 Replies
SFTP-SERVER(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    SFTP-SERVER(8)

NAME
sftp-server -- SFTP server subsystem SYNOPSIS
sftp-server [-ehR] [-f log_facility] [-l log_level] [-u umask] DESCRIPTION
sftp-server is a program that speaks the server side of SFTP protocol to stdout and expects client requests from stdin. sftp-server is not intended to be called directly, but from sshd(8) using the Subsystem option. Command-line flags to sftp-server should be specified in the Subsystem declaration. See sshd_config(5) for more information. Valid options are: -e Causes sftp-server to print logging information to stderr instead of syslog for debugging. -f log_facility Specifies the facility code that is used when logging messages from sftp-server. The possible values are: DAEMON, USER, AUTH, LOCAL0, LOCAL1, LOCAL2, LOCAL3, LOCAL4, LOCAL5, LOCAL6, LOCAL7. The default is AUTH. -h Displays sftp-server usage information. -l log_level Specifies which messages will be logged by sftp-server. The possible values are: QUIET, FATAL, ERROR, INFO, VERBOSE, DEBUG, DEBUG1, DEBUG2, and DEBUG3. INFO and VERBOSE log transactions that sftp-server performs on behalf of the client. DEBUG and DEBUG1 are equivalent. DEBUG2 and DEBUG3 each specify higher levels of debugging output. The default is ERROR. -R Places this instance of sftp-server into a read-only mode. Attempts to open files for writing, as well as other operations that change the state of the filesystem, will be denied. -u umask Sets an explicit umask(2) to be applied to newly-created files and directories, instead of the user's default mask. For logging to work, sftp-server must be able to access /dev/log. Use of sftp-server in a chroot configuration therefore requires that syslogd(8) establish a logging socket inside the chroot directory. SEE ALSO
sftp(1), ssh(1), sshd_config(5), sshd(8) T. Ylonen and S. Lehtinen, SSH File Transfer Protocol, draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-00.txt, January 2001, work in progress material. HISTORY
sftp-server first appeared in OpenBSD 2.8. AUTHORS
Markus Friedl <markus@openbsd.org> BSD
January 9, 2010 BSD