Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Defining variable problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Defining variable problem Post 302909151 by saleheen on Tuesday 15th of July 2014 01:15:10 AM
Old 07-15-2014
Awesome man! Thanks! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

defining a variable as a number or character?

I am writing a script that needs to accept numbers into a variable by prompting and using the code read num case $num in 000) break ;; *) I am fairly new to unix and am loving the versatility of the language but need a little shove in the right... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noobian
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Defining Variables

I'm trying to define a variable named sin I already have a variable named cos, which has the value "hello" I want sin to have the value of "hellothere", so sin would be something like sin = $cos & "there" but I'm not sure that I know the syntax. Can anyone help? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sailorliones
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting/Filed Defining/Output problem

need a little help with a few tid bits. I wrote a script that checks the resoluion of image files and writes them out to a file then sorts the resolutions by largets Width. Then take the sorted files information and toss all the 835 widths into a seperate file. Ignore the redundancies its a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TiredOrangeCat
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem defining remote printers on solaris 10

Good morning, I have a server with solaris 10 that I want to intall remote printers. I started lpsched deamon without problems with command: svcadm enable application/print/server I want to install printers that are defined locally on print server, so: lpadmin -p <device> -s <print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonovox
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Defining EDITOR Variable - Tru64

Hi, I have to edit a lot of partitions soon and wanted to do so with EMACS rather than VI. The "disklabel -e -r disknumber" command picks up VI as it's defined, but how do I set "-e" so it uses EMACS instead please? Thanks...! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bagel08
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

defining variables

Hey all, I was wondering if someone would take a look at this script I'm working on. I don't know if i have the syntax correct for my variables and if the for loop is written correctly. any assistance would be greatly appreciated. #!/usr/bin/bash ###########################################... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

defining a variable using multiple "entries/columns" within a line using read

Hello All, I am trying to figure out how to use the read command. I have a txt file that has rows looking something like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 where each number represents an entry of various characters deliminated by tabs. My goal is to set entries 2-7 as a variable/string that I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Torinator
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias defining problem in .cshrc file

Hi folks, I'm trying to define the following command as alias in .cshrc file: ls -ltr | grep ^d | awk '{print $9}' | xargs du -hs I defined it as the following: alias nirdirs '`ls -ltr | grep "^d" | awk "{print \\$9}" | xargs du -hs`' I've got the following error when I've run the alias:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

defining variable in .profile

In root dir i have created a .profile file and added variable and assigned a path to it: a = '/dir/dir' export a but when i echo (echo $a) the path or use this variable the value or path not getting displayed. i tried executing the .profile and logging out and logging in, didnt workout. am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi_n123
1 Replies

10. Programming

Problem defining a struct

I have the following code and getting the compilation errors baseLib/DynBaseObj.h:80: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(' token baseLib/DynBaseObj.h:89: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(' token baseLib/DynBaseObj.h:101:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies
MAKESH(1)                                                     General Commands Manual                                                    MAKESH(1)

NAME
makeSH - a .SH script maker SYNOPSIS
makeSH files DESCRIPTION
MakeSH examines one or more scripts and produces a .SH file that, when run under sh, will produce the original script. The .SH script so produced has two sections containing code destined for the output. The first section has variable substitutions performed on it (taking values from config.sh), while the second section does not. MakeSH does not know which variables you want to have substituted, so it puts the whole script into the second section. It's up to you to insert any variable substitutions in the first section for any values you want from config.sh. You should run makeSH from within your top-level directory and use the relative path to the file as an argument, so that the "Extracting ..." line printed while running the produced .SH file later on will give that same path. AUTHOR
Larry Wall <lwall@netlabs.com> SEE ALSO
pat(1), metaconfig(1), makedist(1). BUGS
It could assume that variables from metaconfig's Glossary need to be initialized in the first section, but I'm too lazy to make it do that. LOCAL MAKESH(1)